Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #76
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,868
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The only ones thinking about it are probably us. Why is so important? Is it even possible to force a studio to switch their tools on a short notice? How would it work, giving them cameras, lenses, accessories for free, plus intensive training?
If you sell bananas, but people only ever see you eat your competitor's bananas.. they will think something is wrong with your bananas, that even you don't eat them.

Edit: And it would be good advertisement to say "this product photo taken by 645D". It would be proof its a good product.
But its true that the 645Z only came out, so they couldn't use that camera yet

07-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #77
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,343
It's not the same - you'd have to look into the EXIF, and it's only because not all information was removed that we know this was done with a non-Pentax camera.
And it was not done by Pentax/Ricoh, but by some agency.
07-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,447
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If this is all true, why wouldn't Ricoh make 20,000 instead of 2,000?
Be interesting to know what the production plan for the K-3 is and how many units have been delivered the first 9 months. I view this as analogous to a Limited Edition of a car - special stripes or paint or wheels, or a higher output engine and handling but no real changes to the basic design of the vehicle. It's just incremental revenue to the car company. It doesn't alter the basic trends or materially change the profitability of the brand or the model, but it is revenue they wouldn't have had otherwise because it attracts at least SOME new buyers.
07-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #79
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,607
It wouldn't be very "prestigious" if every Tom Dick and Harry had one, now would it?

In all seriousness, based on Ricoh marketing strategy up to now - and Hoya's before them - it seems that they believe that there is much more demand for alternate colors at the entry level than there is among the "serious" photography crowd, who prefer their cameras black. If their apparent underlying marketing research is correct, then they are likely trying to walk a fine line here - release alternate versions of the flagship that aren't too out there (i.e. silver or gunmetal, colors that won't make it look like a toy), but that are different enough and in appropriate quantities to satisfy the collectors and the small subset of serious shooters who want a non-black camera. Those who want a special camera are happy, Ricoh gets press for releasing a special "limited edition" model, and 10,000 non-black bodies don't end up sitting on the shelf to lose money and cheapen the perception of future limited runs later. Everybody wins.

Pentax has been following this strategy for years now, getting away from gaudy treatments in limited runs and toward reserved ones that nonetheless stand out. With the exception of the red 645D, when was the last time you saw a gold/alligator or brown naugahyde treatment on a high-end Pentax camera? All the wild stuff is reserved for the Q and the lower end DSLRs, where they are already mass-producing oddly-colored components for the casual market.

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If this is all true, why wouldn't Ricoh make 20,000 instead of 2,000?


Agree. Even lukewarm pub is better than nothing.



Last edited by dcshooter; 07-24-2014 at 11:23 AM.
07-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #80
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Be interesting to know what the production plan for the K-3 is and how many units have been delivered the first 9 months. I view this as analogous to a Limited Edition of a car - special stripes or paint or wheels, or a higher output engine and handling but no real changes to the basic design of the vehicle. It's just incremental revenue to the car company. It doesn't alter the basic trends or materially change the profitability of the brand or the model, but it is revenue they wouldn't have had otherwise because it attracts at least SOME new buyers.
The important question is how many extra units overall Ricoh will sell opposite the fixed cost of developing the Prestige Edition plus what must be some amount of extra variable cost (production and inventory). We know the answer lies somewhere from zero to 2,000. My hunch (all it is) is the actual number will be closer to the former than the latter.
07-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,074
Lovely new set.
Not only the best in class APS-C performer (but for AF tracking ), but also the smartest with a serious taste of fancy.
07-24-2014, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #82
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskitt Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,684
Posted today on PetaPixel
Ricoh's Gunmetal-Gray Limited-Edition Pentax K-3 Looks Like it Could Beat Up Your DSLR


"Leica and Hasselblad should take a page out of Ricoh’s book: when you release a limited-edition camera, you don’t slap a hello kitty sticker or some fancy wood on it. You do what Ricoh did with the limited-edition Pentax K-3 ‘Prestige’ and cover the thing in gunmetal.
Make no mistake, this K-3 can beat up your K-3… or pretty much any other DSLR you own."


Sounds like it's working from a marketing standpoint.
07-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,074
Agreed

07-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #84
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,893
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Posted today on PetaPixel
Ricoh's Gunmetal-Gray Limited-Edition Pentax K-3 Looks Like it Could Beat Up Your DSLR


"Leica and Hasselblad should take a page out of Ricoh’s book: when you release a limited-edition camera, you don’t slap a hello kitty sticker or some fancy wood on it. You do what Ricoh did with the limited-edition Pentax K-3 ‘Prestige’ and cover the thing in gunmetal.
Make no mistake, this K-3 can beat up your K-3… or pretty much any other DSLR you own."


Sounds like it's working from a marketing standpoint.
Awesome!
07-24-2014, 12:13 PM - 3 Likes   #85
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,882
Official Camera of...

07-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #86
Pentaxian
dcshooter's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,607
The additional sunk cost to develop and produce is negligible. Probably under $10k, total. The production line is already in place, all it takes is a few color substitutions to the silver limited edition template. It probably cost more to design the new packaging and take the promo shots than it did to re-tool. Per-unit expenses for distributing to retail should be no more than for the black model since the distribution channels already exist through the major online retailers, and many apparently will be sold directly through the various Ricoh Pentax websites, so no significant added cost there, either. So let's say the price of 10 extra units at wholesale. Even if it took $25k to develop (there is, after all, that fancy new strap), that's still only 25 units.

As far as demand goes, both of us only have anecdotes to go by, but every time a limited release like this comes out, there are multiple members on this forum who purchase one in addition to the base model they already own. And this forum serves a small subset of the English-speaking market, which is far from Pentax's largest. So we can extrapolate out a decent number of new sales just from that. This edition is also obviously generating buzz and has been featured on the front page of many of the major photo sites today. There are plenty of people with money to burn and low resistance to temptation ("ooooh, gunmetal!) such that this fact alone will likely drive sales for a substantial chunk of the 2000 unit inventory. Further, having at one point in my life worked as a sales analyst, I can assure you that such a high profile press presence will also have a halo effect and lead to increased sales of units across the entire Pentax line. I'm quite confident that Ricoh has probably already made up their costs to produce this new model in pre-orders alone, and that this week will see a substantial week-over-week bump in total Pentax sales that otherwise would not have occurred.

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
The important question is how many extra units overall Ricoh will sell opposite the fixed cost of developing the Prestige Edition plus what must be some amount of extra variable cost (production and inventory). We know the answer lies somewhere from zero to 2,000. My hunch (all it is) is the actual number will be closer to the former than the latter.


---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 12:37 PM ----------

Or perhaps "Pinkenta."

Behold the abomination!


QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm waiting for the faux woodgrain finish.

Chris

Last edited by dcshooter; 07-24-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: fixing typos
07-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Cynog Ap Brychan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gloucester
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,092
I know one K-3 owner who will buy the gunmetal one - if I can get hold of one, that is!
07-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #88
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,447
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
And this forum serves a small subset of the English-speaking market, which is far form Pentax's largest.
We in the West seem habitually to overlook Japan. Ricoh could conceivably sell the entire run, as incremental sales, to Japanese collector buyers.
07-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #89
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The additional sunk cost to develop and produce is negligible. Probably under $10k, total. The production line is already in place, all it takes is a few color substitutions to the silver limited edition template. It probably cost more to design the new packaging and take the promo shots than it did to re-tool. Per-unit expenses for distributing to retail should be no more than for the black model since the distribution channels already exist through the major online retailers, and many apparently will be sold directly through the various Ricoh Pentax websites, so no significant added cost there, either. So let's say the price of 10 extra units at wholesale. Even if it took $25k to develop (there is, after all, that fancy new strap), that's still only 25 units.

As far as demand goes, both of us only have anecdotes to go by, but every time a limited release like this comes out, there are multiple members on this forum who purchase one in addition to the base model they already own. And this forum serves a small subset of the English-speaking market, which is far form Pentax's largest. So we can extrapolate out a decent number of new sales just from that. This edition is also obviously generating buzz and has been featured on the front page of many of the major photo sites, today. There are plenty of people with money to burn and low resistance to temptation ("ooooh, gunmetal!) such that this fact alone will likely drive sales for a substantial chunk of the 2000 unit inventory. Further, having at one point in my life worked as a sales analyst, I can assure you that such a high profile press presence will also have a halo effect and lead to increased sales of units across the entire Pentax line. I'm quite confident that Ricoh has probably already made up their costs to produce this new model in pre-orders alone, and that this week will see a substantial week-over-week bump in total Pentax sales that otherwise would not have occurred.



---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 12:37 PM ----------

Or perhaps "Pinkenta."

Behold the abomination!

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Face Melt Scene - YouTube
Small quibble but I think the math is off. They can't be making $1000 margin per unit especially considering the grip is thrown into the kit. But putting that aside, how can this be such a no-brainer for Ricoh when you consider they haven't even sold out the Silver Edition after all these months?
07-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #90
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Stratford, CT
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 662
I actually don't like it as much in these photos, assuming they're legit.

???????????? PENTAX K-3 Prestige Edition ?????? K-3 ???????????? - ??????????by????????
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, cost, da*, edition, ff, inventory, k-3, k-3 prestige edition, k-5, kennedy, lens, lenses, line, makers, model, pentax, pentax k-3 prestige, pentax news, pentax rumors, picture, prestige, production, releases, ricoh, sales, service, titanium, units
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-3 Officially Announced (See our detailed preview here!) Adam Pentax News and Rumors 213 11-18-2014 01:46 AM
Pentax K-3 Photo Contest: Finalists Announced - Round 2 Instructions Adam Pentax K-3 Photo Contest 98 07-11-2014 05:58 AM
Pentax K-3 Premium Silver + Grip - Limited Edition Sorver Pentax Price Watch 2 05-25-2014 05:13 PM
Pentax K-3 Silver Edition $1399 dgrPhotos Pentax Price Watch 18 04-27-2014 10:19 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax MZ-3 Special Edition and Normal Silver Edition w/ Accessories frank Sold Items 2 11-22-2012 10:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top