Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Lovely new set.
Not only the best in class APS-C performer (but for AF tracking ), but also the smartest with a serious taste of fancy.

07-24-2014, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Posted today on PetaPixel
Ricoh's Gunmetal-Gray Limited-Edition Pentax K-3 Looks Like it Could Beat Up Your DSLR

"Leica and Hasselblad should take a page out of Ricoh’s book: when you release a limited-edition camera, you don’t slap a hello kitty sticker or some fancy wood on it. You do what Ricoh did with the limited-edition Pentax K-3 ‘Prestige’ and cover the thing in gunmetal.
Make no mistake, this K-3 can beat up your K-3… or pretty much any other DSLR you own."

Sounds like it's working from a marketing standpoint.
07-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Agreed
07-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Posted today on PetaPixel
Ricoh's Gunmetal-Gray Limited-Edition Pentax K-3 Looks Like it Could Beat Up Your DSLR

"Leica and Hasselblad should take a page out of Ricoh’s book: when you release a limited-edition camera, you don’t slap a hello kitty sticker or some fancy wood on it. You do what Ricoh did with the limited-edition Pentax K-3 ‘Prestige’ and cover the thing in gunmetal.
Make no mistake, this K-3 can beat up your K-3… or pretty much any other DSLR you own."

Sounds like it's working from a marketing standpoint.
Awesome!

07-24-2014, 12:13 PM - 3 Likes   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Official Camera of...

07-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I know one K-3 owner who will buy the gunmetal one - if I can get hold of one, that is!
07-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
And this forum serves a small subset of the English-speaking market, which is far form Pentax's largest.
We in the West seem habitually to overlook Japan. Ricoh could conceivably sell the entire run, as incremental sales, to Japanese collector buyers.

07-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #83
Veteran Member

The additional sunk cost to develop and produce is negligible. Probably under $10k, total. The production line is already in place, all it takes is a few color substitutions to the silver limited edition template. It probably cost more to design the new packaging and take the promo shots than it did to re-tool. Per-unit expenses for distributing to retail should be no more than for the black model since the distribution channels already exist through the major online retailers, and many apparently will be sold directly through the various Ricoh Pentax websites, so no significant added cost there, either. So let's say the price of 10 extra units at wholesale. Even if it took $25k to develop (there is, after all, that fancy new strap), that's still only 25 units.

As far as demand goes, both of us only have anecdotes to go by, but every time a limited release like this comes out, there are multiple members on this forum who purchase one in addition to the base model they already own. And this forum serves a small subset of the English-speaking market, which is far form Pentax's largest. So we can extrapolate out a decent number of new sales just from that. This edition is also obviously generating buzz and has been featured on the front page of many of the major photo sites, today. There are plenty of people with money to burn and low resistance to temptation ("ooooh, gunmetal!) such that this fact alone will likely drive sales for a substantial chunk of the 2000 unit inventory. Further, having at one point in my life worked as a sales analyst, I can assure you that such a high profile press presence will also have a halo effect and lead to increased sales of units across the entire Pentax line. I'm quite confident that Ricoh has probably already made up their costs to produce this new model in pre-orders alone, and that this week will see a substantial week-over-week bump in total Pentax sales that otherwise would not have occurred.

---------- Post added 07-24-14 at 12:37 PM ----------

Or perhaps "Pinkenta."

Behold the abomination!

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Face Melt Scene - YouTube
Small quibble but I think the math is off. They can't be making $1000 margin per unit especially considering the grip is thrown into the kit. But putting that aside, how can this be such a no-brainer for Ricoh when you consider they haven't even sold out the Silver Edition after all these months?
07-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #84
Pentaxian

I actually don't like it as much in these photos, assuming they're legit.

???????????? PENTAX K-3 Prestige Edition ?????? K-3 ???????????? - ??????????by????????
07-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #85
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I just barfed.
Photo, or it didn't happen.
07-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Red herring. The first 2k of the Silvers sold out quickly, and Ricoh subsequently produced more. It's right there in the announcement on the front page.

As far as the grip goes, it's pretty limited electronics and almost no moving parts. Can't be more than a few bucks to produce. Not sure about the K3 since I don't own one, but the K-5 grips have been cloned and sold by the Chinese knock-off artists for under $30, the only difference being lack of weather sealing, which is just a rubber gasket.
Okay, I stand corrected on the Silver Edition volume. Not sure why PF claims it's unlikely Ricoh will make more than 2000 units of the grey version when they keep making silver ones. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of collectors editions (silver in this case)?
07-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm about to buy a K-3. This one is very tempting. Pity it comes with the grip; I have no interest in it. You have to pay for it though. They should have offered a gripless version....
07-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Have held off on the K-3 but have finances in play - and then this appears - just what I have been waiting for... Looks better than the brown toned K20 prestige edition a few years ago - love it... Will it be available in Australia?

Just sent email to Pentax Australia on availablity and price - will update as I hear.
Please make sure you do I imagine we will get a certain number distributed.
07-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #89
Veteran Member

I think that this camera is an effort to squeeze a few more sales out of the K-3 before they release their new Full Frame at Photokina.
07-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #90
Veteran Member

I actually like the this Gunmetal look better than the Silver, I've seen K-3 Silver in the flesh and it looks very nice( We had 5 Limited version K-3 on our last World Pentax Day outing in Sydney, 5! There are only 20 units in Australia!), if I am looking to buy a K-3 the gunmetal look would push my over the edge, but luckily I am not

let's not forget shall we that Pentax/Ricoh is a Japanese company, and Japanese are mad for these "Limited" Edition stuff(remember the 645D special edition?), cost of repaint 2,000 K-3 can't be that much and it create market hype, so I don't see anything wrong with that.

I would say these 2,000 units will be snapped up pretty quickly, that's 2,000 unit sold before Photokina, I have a theory that it's a drive to get customers to open their wallets instead of holding out for the Photokina announcement in a few months time.

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 07-24-2014 at 05:30 PM.