Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Please explain the barf trigger. Several scenarios come to mind.
I thought I was pretty specific. Will it make my photos prestigious? I suspect not. I could totally sabotage the whole concept by just buying one.

07-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if the Sony A7 series (maybe Leica) inspired the look? There are similarities.
07-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Anyone else reminded of this?

Seriously, though, I can't understand all the complaining about this camera. This stunt probably cost them less than 5 figures to carry out, and it drums up publicity for the brand ahead of Photokina. The collectors get another body that will retain or increase in value, and no engineering time or resources are taken away from development of the next product in the line, since it is just a paint job.

And oh yeah, it's probably 2k more bodies they will sell, so an extra million or two in their coffers.
I struggle to see how they will sell an extra 2k camera bodies because of this. It's just as likely they will sell 2k fewer regular K-3 units. Not that this grey paint is a Bad Thing or anything close to it but doesn't it cause one to wonder what Ricoh thinks is important in their product offerings?
07-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
They do have more important things to focus on.
Perhaps adding 2000 special units is a way to keep volume up and lines running in slow summer months, pre-Holiday sales season.

2000 units x $1,300 = $2,600,000. On a cost accounting basis, sure, they have to allocate costs to these units. But on a cash-on-cash basis, what do the components and assembler compensation really cost?

Arbitrarily assuming 50% markup from the factory door through the distribution chain to retail price, Ricoh Imaging receives $,1,742,000 for 2000 units or $871 per unit. The distribution chain gets the rest of the $2,600,000.

Assuming the sensor, processor, shutter and other procured components cost $330, inventory cash-cost was $2.00 (to go get the parts off the shelf) of Ricoh-manufactured parts, assembly actually cash-cost $35 and the shell cost $4.00, Ricoh Imaging made $1,000,000 cash-basis doing this PE K-3.

Just a guess, but I'd bet $1,000,000 is a pretty standard target cash net for a special edition.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-24-2014 at 08:41 AM.
07-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
did not so many people find the silver version attractive (I think it looks much better in the flesh)?
Never seen it in person.

I thought the K-5 silver ones were really nice. The K-3 silver was too light of a silver for my taste.
07-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #66

I'm sure such problems are being worked on by actual engineers.

All something like this takes is changing some paint/screen print dye tanks on the assembly line that produces the outer shell and some work by the design department for the special packaging. The engineers have no doubt continued to work on whatever they are working on (fixes, new products, etc.) without a moment's interruption by this project.
Yeah exactly. It's not like you need 10 people to set and start a microwave.

Anyways, I found it to be quite a attractive colour.
07-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the look. Someday I'll be in the market for a K-3, but I will not spend extra on a fancy color. I'd rather save up for a Bigma...

07-24-2014, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
bugger waiting for the ephemeral FF to materialise
Wash your mouth out, heretic. Some of us are still FF believers.
07-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
EDIT:
I also notice the large image Ricoh is distributing of this new K-3 that is in the write up on the front page (here) is shot using a Hasselblad H20-v digital back, probably on a Phase One body. The studio deleted the camera make and model from the EXIF, but other details are still in the EXIF. Sigh. Why no 645Z?
Now THIS is a major gaffe. They obviously sent it out to a major product photographer and never even thought about this. This was a dumb, dumb move.

Cheers,
Cameron
07-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #70
Pentaxian

The only ones thinking about it are probably us. Why is so important? Is it even possible to force a studio to switch their tools on a short notice? How would it work, giving them cameras, lenses, accessories for free, plus intensive training?
07-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Because it's aimed at collectors, not the general buying public. They tend to be completists and get one of each variation.

Based on how it's played out with the past silver editions, still others will sell their original K-3 bodies and replace with this. The people who buy those used K-3s generally aren't looking to purchase on the new market anyway, so they don't constitute lost sales. Very few of these will be bought instead of a new, standard black K-3, especially considering that it is now well into the K-3's lifecycle, and there are far fewer people holding out for a special edition than there were with the earlier silver special edition.
If this is all true, why wouldn't Ricoh make 20,000 instead of 2,000?

QuoteQuote:
Additionally, getting the K-3 back on the front page of dpreview and other photo sites will no doubt create more interest in the platform than would otherwise have existed, translating to more sales of both the black and Prestige versions. It's marketing 101.
Agree. Even lukewarm pub is better than nothing.
07-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The only ones thinking about it are probably us. Why is so important? Is it even possible to force a studio to switch their tools on a short notice? How would it work, giving them cameras, lenses, accessories for free, plus intensive training?
If you sell bananas, but people only ever see you eat your competitor's bananas.. they will think something is wrong with your bananas, that even you don't eat them.

Edit: And it would be good advertisement to say "this product photo taken by 645D". It would be proof its a good product.
But its true that the 645Z only came out, so they couldn't use that camera yet
07-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #73
Pentaxian

It's not the same - you'd have to look into the EXIF, and it's only because not all information was removed that we know this was done with a non-Pentax camera.
And it was not done by Pentax/Ricoh, but by some agency.
07-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
If this is all true, why wouldn't Ricoh make 20,000 instead of 2,000?
Be interesting to know what the production plan for the K-3 is and how many units have been delivered the first 9 months. I view this as analogous to a Limited Edition of a car - special stripes or paint or wheels, or a higher output engine and handling but no real changes to the basic design of the vehicle. It's just incremental revenue to the car company. It doesn't alter the basic trends or materially change the profitability of the brand or the model, but it is revenue they wouldn't have had otherwise because it attracts at least SOME new buyers.
07-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Be interesting to know what the production plan for the K-3 is and how many units have been delivered the first 9 months. I view this as analogous to a Limited Edition of a car - special stripes or paint or wheels, or a higher output engine and handling but no real changes to the basic design of the vehicle. It's just incremental revenue to the car company. It doesn't alter the basic trends or materially change the profitability of the brand or the model, but it is revenue they wouldn't have had otherwise because it attracts at least SOME new buyers.
The important question is how many extra units overall Ricoh will sell opposite the fixed cost of developing the Prestige Edition plus what must be some amount of extra variable cost (production and inventory). We know the answer lies somewhere from zero to 2,000. My hunch (all it is) is the actual number will be closer to the former than the latter.