Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #166
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dfujevec Quote
those cameras with Canon support can still be pro.
The support may be pro, but the image results from some of those older pro bodies may not be pro anymore. You would struggle to earn a living shooting one nowadays.

No stock agency or Getty would accept images from a 4MP Canon 1D today, for example.

07-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #167
Pentaxian

A professional requires turnaround for repairs and service, as well as bodies available where they are working if needed. Hardware where and when I need it. The capabilities of the hardware are important, but if you don't have it in hand, it doesn't matter.

And yes, a professional will have backups. But s**t happens, and the shoot is happening. This stuff costs money and a professional will pay for it.
07-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Perhaps Pentax is for pros who prefer other types of lenses?
Just a thought, pro grade as a new exclusion criteria
Use it what for you don't want / despise

Last edited by Zygonyx; 07-28-2014 at 12:02 PM.
07-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
A professional requires turnaround for repairs and service, as well as bodies available where they are working if needed. Hardware where and when I need it. The capabilities of the hardware are important, but if you don't have it in hand, it doesn't matter.

And yes, a professional will have backups. But s**t happens, and the shoot is happening. This stuff costs money and a professional will pay for it.
This one for me is a valid argument but it has to be really good; Amazon will deliver to you the next working day while you should have some spare gear to cover the time in between. So the price you pay for it should be low (less than the cost of replacing gear earlier than foreseen and potentially resell the repeared one on used market) and the service should be available on non working hours/day and sent it to you in less than 24 hours.

Is it the case?

---------- Post added 07-28-14 at 09:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
True... But when I sent in the 5D that I once owned, it actually came back repaired! Now that's pro-service. I'm still waiting for the K-5 that I sent in somewhere in 2011.
Hahaha. Sorry for you but the argument honestly... Do you really think that Canon never lost some of it client gear (or destroyed it...) and Pentax loose it all the time? Or was it even the postal service where you didn't put insurence on the material?

Last edited by Nicolas06; 07-28-2014 at 12:25 PM.
07-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
100% of the Pentax cameras that I own have broken down. (IstD, Pentax K-5 and K-3)
Good grief! That's a terrible experience! I've had 7 film Pentax SLRs and 4 Pentax DSLRs, and the only time I've had one in for repair was my ESII, when my youngest knocked it flying, and then the only damage was a slight ding in the bodywork (the build has been one big reason I've stuck with the brand). I can understand why you might be a bit sour on them with that record. Perhaps you shouldn't buy too many lottery tickets, if your luck's that bad!
07-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The support may be pro, but the image results from some of those older pro bodies may not be pro anymore. You would struggle to earn a living shooting one nowadays.

No stock agency or Getty would accept images from a 4MP Canon 1D today, for example.
Many of the pros that I know are still shooting with D700s and the like, especially if their primary medium is online. At the end of the day, new gear=less profit.

On the other hand, the serious amateurs that I know upgrade more frequently than the pros that I know.
07-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #172
Veteran Member

That sucks...

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Good grief! That's a terrible experience! I've had 7 film Pentax SLRs and 4 Pentax DSLRs, and the only time I've had one in for repair was my ESII, when my youngest knocked it flying, and then the only damage was a slight ding in the bodywork (the build has been one big reason I've stuck with the brand). I can understand why you might be a bit sour on them with that record. Perhaps you shouldn't buy too many lottery tickets, if your luck's that bad!
I've had four, and they've all been bulletproof...and they're all still working, right back to the PZ1 from 1996 or so...

Cheers,
Cameron

---------- Post added 07-28-2014 at 02:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I agree; unfortunately pro grade lenses have all been discontinued - I mean, Fa*600, FA*300f2.8, A*400f2.8, FA*200 macro... all are available on second hand market only.
Only if you want to shoot sports or perhaps wildlife. I'd have very little use for any of those lenses, except maybe the 200 macro.

Personally I'd like an 8mm F2.8....and 250th flash sync, and a much better flash system, and perhaps better movie modes...but I'm sure all that's coming.

Pentax' top lenses are as good or better than anybody else's...es...z...es'z...zz...they need to stay on the path they're on, IMHO.

I'd put my 14 up against ANYBODY's (seen the Nikon? It's MASSIVE!!!!). And the FA*28-70 and FA*85...better than anybody else's...the 300 F4.5 kills...And the Limiteds? Come on now...only Leica outperforms them...at 10x's the price (or more). And NO autofocus...The DA*'s...

Our system is a 'pro' system. They all have their pluses and minus's...es...z'es...s...what we DON'T have is a massive, penile-extension camera that weighs 15 pounds...and I'm glad about that.

A K3 with a DA* 55...come on now. Let me know something THAT SIZE that does better...

er'r...r...

Cheers,
Cameron

Last edited by Cambo; 07-28-2014 at 02:10 PM.
07-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
This one for me is a valid argument but it has to be really good; Amazon will deliver to you the next working day while you should have some spare gear to cover the time in between. So the price you pay for it should be low (less than the cost of replacing gear earlier than foreseen and potentially resell the repeared one on used market) and the service should be available on non working hours/day and sent it to you in less than 24 hours.

Is it the case?

---------- Post added 07-28-14 at 09:23 PM ----------

Hahaha. Sorry for you but the argument honestly... Do you really think that Canon never lost some of it client gear (or destroyed it...) and Pentax loose it all the time? Or was it even the postal service where you didn't put insurence on the material?
This would be feasible if Amazon sold the Pentax K-3, which they don't. Only third parties via their website.
07-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #174
Veteran Member

Knees wobbly
07-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #175
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
On the other hand, the serious amateurs that I know upgrade more frequently than the pros that I know.

This is true as far as I see it.
07-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #176
JPT
Pentaxian

Ricoh just announced that they sold out of Prestige K-3s in for days. I think by this they mean they've all been ordered by retailers. Looks like stores are confident they can sell them!
07-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
This would be feasible if Amazon sold the Pentax K-3, which they don't. Only third parties via their website.
They seem to sell them in the U.K.
07-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #178
Veteran Member

Listed on https://www.pentax.com.au/product/pentax-k-3-prestige-edition ready to go by the looks for $1599.00 for the Aussie folks.
07-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Looking at Amazon.com, that true they don't sell it directly, but I checked the K3, DA16-50 & DA50-135 on amazon.com and they are eligible to prime with vendors that sell themselves but inventory is managed by Amazon. If I order them now, I can get it delivered in United States by tomorow morning.

In France, (my country), Amazon sell directly. Apparently it is the case for UK too.

Anyway we see this is valid: you can get your Pentax gear for the next working day, from Amazon.com website be it Amazon that sell it or no. At least if you are in US, France or UK. And that was the point of my comment.
07-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #180
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Like fixing the freaking mirror flapping issue that has been with them since the dawn of the K-5 and which they haven't been able to fix numerous bodies later in the K-3.
You mean the mirror flapping issue that was due to a batch of defective parts on the original K-5 and has not reappeared on any model since? Or do you mean the crazy mirror problem (very different symptoms than the K-5 issue) affecting some K-3 examples and recently remedied by a warranty service? Or do you mean the mis-labeled mirror flap on a some K-50 which is actually a camera freeze with mirror stuck up (also remedied under warranty)?

Steve

---------- Post added 07-28-14 at 10:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FF will be a single Titanium Edition run of 5000 units with the Golden Section focusing screen and a special leather strap. It will be offered in a presentation box complete with a Titanium colored grip and 540FGZ flash.
I want one in red lacquer over gold leaf.

Steve

---------- Post added 07-28-14 at 10:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
It looks cool! My first thought when I saw it was, this is how it should have looked right from the launch of the original.
My thoughts as well.

Steve

---------- Post added 07-28-14 at 11:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Canon 5D notoriously had it's mirror falling off problems
I know a local shooter who went through three 7D bodies during the warranty period and had to send the fourth copy to CRIS for additional service (replacement of shutter) out of warranty.

Steve