07-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ordered mine today!

07-29-2014, 02:35 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean the mirror flapping issue that was due to a batch of defective parts on the original K-5 and has not reappeared on any model since? Or do you mean the crazy mirror problem (very different symptoms than the K-5 issue) affecting some K-3 examples and recently remedied by a warranty service? Or do you mean the mis-labeled mirror flap on a some K-50 which is actually a camera freeze with mirror stuck up (also remedied under warranty)?

Steve
I'll take your word about the different causes. What does it matter? I don't know what's more sad, caused by the same error, or caused by various types of errors? My K-5 flapped. My K-3 flapped. And as you say, some K-50's were flapping. I, as a customer, can't and shouldn't be bothered with why or how. Whatever the excuse is, I see that mirrors are flapping franticly and they can't seem to solve it. Point is, there is one general deficiency that's allowing problems like the flapping, sensor stains, buttons falling off, freezing, SDM issues, etc to reach the customer: Lacking QC. Pay & pray was to be expected when they were still known as "cheap", but not now anymore.
07-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I'll take your word about the different causes. What does it matter? I don't know what's more sad, caused by the same error, or caused by various types of errors? My K-5 flapped. My K-3 flapped. And as you say, some K-50's were flapping. I, as a customer, can't and shouldn't be bothered with why or how. Whatever the excuse is, I see that mirrors are flapping franticly and they can't seem to solve it. Point is, there is one general deficiency that's allowing problems like the flapping, sensor stains, buttons falling off, freezing, SDM issues, etc to reach the customer: Lacking QC. Pay & pray was to be expected when they were still known as "cheap", but not now anymore.
Just leave.
07-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #184
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Just leave.
LOL.

Clavius still doesn't understand that all camera brands have glitches and problems, and that we don't live in a perfect world. I saw problems with Sony DSLRs that I used to own too, my a55 would glitch every so often and was known for an overheating problem. What did I do when it glitched or overheated? Worked around it! Pulled battery, reset it, etc. Besides, it sounds like this mirror flapping happens very rarely. Is it that bad that you can't just quickly pull the battery, put it back in, and keep shooting? I would rather do that than try to figure out how to get oil off my sensor.

07-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
LOL.

Clavius still doesn't understand that all camera brands have glitches and problems, and that we don't live in a perfect world. I saw problems with Sony DSLRs that I used to own too, my a55 would glitch every so often and was known for an overheating problem. What did I do when it glitched or overheated? Worked around it! Pulled battery, reset it, etc. Besides, it sounds like this mirror flapping happens very rarely. Is it that bad that you can't just quickly pull the battery, put it back in, and keep shooting? I would rather do that than try to figure out how to get oil off my sensor.
At some point, if I had that long a run of unsatisfactory products, I would simply change brands. There's nothing wrong with that - it is logical and proper.

Whatever it is there's someting else going on here.
07-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #186
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
This one for me is a valid argument but it has to be really good; Amazon will deliver to you the next working day while you should have some spare gear to cover the time in between. So the price you pay for it should be low (less than the cost of replacing gear earlier than foreseen and potentially resell the repeared one on used market) and the service should be available on non working hours/day and sent it to you in less than 24 hours.

Is it the case?
I'm three days away for Amazon. If I'm doing a shoot in Malaysia, how far away is Amazon? Or I'm at the Russian Olympics. Etc.

I'm certain that if I was in New York or other large center, and had a relationship with B&H or other large well established retailer, they would deliver a couple 645Z and lenses if I was doing a shoot and someone cleaned out my truck.
07-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
LOL.

Clavius still doesn't understand that all camera brands have glitches and problems, and that we don't live in a perfect world.
No, I understand that perfectly well. People who work make errors. Man made machines are not perfect. Will always remain the case. But what's important is how companies respond to those errors. Clearly Pentax chose to just absorb the damage done by keeping the flapping mirrors in their cameras for a full lustrum, instead of investing in a solution.

07-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #188
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No, I understand that perfectly well. People who work make errors. Man made machines are not perfect. Will always remain the case. But what's important is how companies respond to those errors. Clearly Pentax chose to just absorb the damage done by keeping the flapping mirrors in their cameras for a full lustrum, instead of investing in a solution.
Is it indeed a hardware problem or a software problem? I imagine nearly all camera brands are using the same hardware sourced from the same place, so to me it seems that it would be a software issue Pentax still hasn't solved. I could be wrong though.
07-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Just leave.
no he shouldn't, who would all the Pentax is doomed treads filled?
07-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #190
Pentaxian

I'd say, "just leave it"
07-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #191
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...only knows one song. I just wish it was sung a little more on-key and with consistent rhythm.

Steve

---------- Post added 07-29-14 at 12:11 PM ----------

Clearly Pentax chose to just absorb the damage
Time to clean your glasses Clavius. You are not seeing very clearly. Question:
  • Did Pentax repair your K-5? (the only model having the mirror flap issue as originally described)
  • Did you get replacement/repair of your K-3? (assuming you tried)
  • Can you point me to a post where a K-50 is flapping (the thread on this site is mis-named)?
  • Why are your posting your rant here? This is not a Pentax quality, Pentax is doomed, or mirror flap thread.
  • Why the hell didn't you buy a D600 so you could experience a truly unresponsive maker?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-29-2014 at 12:39 PM.
07-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #192
Banned

On a more related topic, it looks like the Prestige Edition is selling well:

Ricoh Imaging - PENTAX K-3 Prestige Edition hits pre-order limit | AkihabaraNews

More money in the coffers for development of new and exciting toys!
07-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I'm three days away for Amazon. If I'm doing a shoot in Malaysia, how far away is Amazon? Or I'm at the Russian Olympics. Etc.

I'm certain that if I was in New York or other large center, and had a relationship with B&H or other large well established retailer, they would deliver a couple 645Z and lenses if I was doing a shoot and someone cleaned out my truck.
I'am challenging the fact that if you are doing a shooting in middle of nowhere the pro service will deliver you instantly anyway... In theses cases either it you that move or they will ask for big money and you'll have to wait. Maybe at least 1-2 days. Try to ask the service when you cover Irak or Ukraine, just to see... Or simpler when you do something in Tibet or in some Autralian desert. You might be disapointed.

For the Olympics,I'am sure thoses guys come with the spare material in case of. This is too critical to rely on a "pro" service as 1 hour waiting is already a huge problem that cost you lot of money. If the thing fail while you shoot, you take a new one... And because you don't have one shoot but a team of maybe 15 shooters to get all good shooting positions, they don't care in fact.
07-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #194
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you would be happier switching to one of the brands that have no flaws.

(BTW, please report back when you find out which brands those are so we can all make the switch. )
07-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think you would be happier switching to one of the brands that have no flaws.

(BTW, please report back when you find out which brands those are so we can all make the switch. )

Contax.