Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 03:35 AM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It was nearly ridiculous how much pro gear was in that room.
It just emphasizes that the 'pro' support offered by Canikon is really there mainly for the pool of sports shooters or photo journalists working big events, usually for agencies (Getty, Reuters etc).

If you are a landscape/wildlife pro, or macro shooter, or even doing fashion in a studio, 'pro' support will still offer you something, but it will be more limited. They won't roll out the red-carpet like they do for the big events. It's good marketing for them, but it in no way reflects the standard of service offered to all pros.

07-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I haven't had experience with Sony's repair yet. Doesn't matter, it's Pentax failure that's making me think it's worth giving it a shot.
As a past Sony user, let me tell you that from what I've heard in forums I participated back then, the Sony service will be equal or worse to Pentax.
07-30-2014, 07:13 AM   #213
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It's about telling a paying customer you lost his gear and then telling him to go away. That's not pro-grade service. Not even up to par with amateur-grade, imho.
Agreed! Glad you got your K-3 back in what appears to be working order.

Steve
08-04-2014, 02:56 AM   #214
Pentaxian

A company released a different colored version of a product.

Pentax is doomed

08-04-2014, 03:27 AM   #215
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
A company released a different colored version of a product.

Pentax is doomed
Don't blame people for rather wanting a more substantial and not so superficial commitment — like, an upgraded video codec for Prime 3 engine and the K-3, to raise the camera above the level of a video toy for toddlers.

Don't blame Pentax users for being able to focus on essential things below the coat of paint.
They've have had enough of pretty paint exercises served as "news".
08-04-2014, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #216
Veteran Member

Uluru... If we focus on essential things, K3 is one of the best DSLR out there for APSC. For some aspect it is the best avaible (body stabilisation, build quality, metering, optional low pass filter...). It has been there only for eight months.

Typically the release cycle for this kind of products is 2-3 years... Sometime even more. K5II & K5-IIs were not real new body but just a way to wait and bump price with the excuse of a new AF sensor.

What one want? A name change like K50 vs K30 just to raise prices? When there too many small upgrade people also complain !
08-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #217
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
This full page ad was in the biggest selling UK photography magazine. I didn't know we had a Pro Centre, so it looks encouraging.
I heard there was talk about that overhere also. Canon is also shifting their resellers into 3 categories where only toplevel is allowed to sell 1Dx and lowest categorie stick to consumerproducts. You need to have inventory in house for such levels, so not every store can enter to the toplevel even if they want. You need 1Dx, 5Diii and several L-lenses in stock.

No idea what Pentax wants and how many stores.

08-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Don't blame people for rather wanting a more substantial and not so superficial commitment — like, an upgraded video codec for Prime 3 engine and the K-3, to raise the camera above the level of a video toy for toddlers.

Don't blame Pentax users for being able to focus on essential things below the coat of paint.
They've have had enough of pretty paint exercises served as "news".
Well, the camera is probably targeted at photographers, not videographers. You can't fault whats beneath surface of the K-3 in this light.
It certainly doesn't hurt to have such a great photographic tool in nice gunmetal finish...
08-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #219
Pentaxian

Hmmm... this thread has gone to 16 pages... I uses people have really important thoughts to share on the issue...
I wonder if a car company would get this kind of reaction to releasing a car formerly only available in 2 colours in a 3rd colour? "Ford releases the focus in baby blue, customers complain they didn't upgrade the engine and that it's too small."
08-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #220
HYS
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Well, the camera is probably targeted at photographers, not videographers. You can't fault whats beneath surface of the K-3 in this light.
It certainly doesn't hurt to have such a great photographic tool in nice gunmetal finish...
Well, the camera is probably targeted at collectors.
08-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hmmm... this thread has gone to 16 pages... I uses people have really important thoughts to share on the issue...
I wonder if a car company would get this kind of reaction to releasing a car formerly only available in 2 colours in a 3rd colour? "Ford releases the focus in baby blue, customers complain they didn't upgrade the engine and that it's too small."
T-Ford, T-ford, T-Ford.
08-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can have any color you want so long as it's Gunmetal.
08-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
Well, the camera is probably targeted at collectors.
Targeted.... gunmetal.... I like it!

Mine's on order.
08-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Targeted.... gunmetal.... I like it!

Mine's on order.
Is that the aggressive marketing people been crying for? "Buy the camera or..."
08-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #225
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Hey! I like paint and I like my K-3! My focus must be off...or not...

Steve

---------- Post added 08-04-14 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
What one want? A name change like K50 vs K30 just to raise prices?
Yeah! If we wanted that we would be Canon fans.

FWIW, the big difference of the K-50 over the K-30 was the body redesign. Many people were put off by the K-30's looks and it was hurting sales. The K-50 debuted at a lower price point than the debut price of the K-30, but I don't remember for sure what the comparison prices were when the K-50 was launched. My memory was that the two were similarly priced initially with the K-30 soon being sold at significant discount to clear the inventory.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-04-14 at 11:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Well, the camera is probably targeted at photographers, not videographers.
This point has been made so many times, but the Pentax critics simply refuse to consider its essential truth. Serious still photographers generally don't give more than passing attention to the video feature.

Steve