Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
Since I AM the wife, I can buy any color camera I want... but I just don't want to pay extra for it, though the Prestige looks lovely. How about red?
I think that Ricoh should offer the camera in any darn color a buyer wants. It just means they throw different color pellets in the injection molding hopper or they spray it a different color. True... most of us would buy boring black but I bet there have been a lot of sales of the Q in Japan in many colors other than black. Henry Ford was wrong about black and GM was right...

08-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Henry Ford was wrong about black and GM was right...
Recent financial outcomes might tend to challenge your assertion.
08-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Recent financial outcomes might tend to challenge your assertion.
Well, maybe... I suspect that most of those color sales are in Japan (which I suspect is where Ricoh does all their market studies) but if I could have bought my K3 in a military field color I would have done so. Same thing for telephoto lenses.
08-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #259
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, maybe... I suspect that most of those color sales are in Japan (which I suspect is where Ricoh does all their market studies) but if I could have bought my K3 in a military field color I would have done so. Same thing for telephoto lenses.
I was referring to the different business outcomes of Henry Ford's company compared to Alfred Sloan's. (Ford vs. GM)

08-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I was referring to the different business outcomes of Henry Ford's company compared to Alfred Sloan's. (Ford vs. GM)
Oh.... yes, that did switch around a bit didn't it. Well, there is something to having good management. I don't know much about the history of Pentax management but they did bring me a beautiful new Spotmatic in 1971 along with three new lenses but somewhere down the road they lost their way. I think GM did as well but maybe both will come back strong and as leaders again?
08-14-2014, 05:50 PM - 4 Likes   #261
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that Ricoh should offer the camera in any darn color a buyer wants. It just means they throw different color pellets in the injection molding hopper or they spray it a different color. True... most of us would buy boring black but I bet there have been a lot of sales of the Q in Japan in many colors other than black. Henry Ford was wrong about black and GM was right...
Sorry, I have to wade in!

It's a common misconception that Model T's were only available in black. Model T's actually came in a range of colours, for some years. The early 1909 models were red and grey, but in the middle of 1909 this gave way to a dark green. During December 1910 and January, 1911, the dark green in turn was changed to a dark, midnight blue. Finally, in late 1914 to early 1915 the blues were replaced with just plain black on the open cars. From this point until the introduction of the “Improved Models” which appeared in August 1925, black was the standard colour. Closed cars continued to be available in "Brewster Green" as late as 19th February 1919. There is no evidence that Henry Ford ever said: “You can have it in any colour, so long as it’s black.” So, from 1919 to 1925 black was the only colour.

Model T’s were available in Red, Green, Grey, Brewster Green, Midnight Blue, Commercial Green, Channel Green, Windsor Maroon, Drake Green, Highland Green, Phoenix Brown, Gunmetal Blue, Moleskin and Royal Maroon. Therefore, a minimum of 14 colours. Because of the variation between batches of early colours it’s possible that there were more colours than this list.

From the department of useless information....
08-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sorry, I have to wade in!

It's a common misconception that Model T's were only available in black. Model T's actually came in a range of colours, for some years. The early 1909 models were red and grey, but in the middle of 1909 this gave way to a dark green. During December 1910 and January, 1911, the dark green in turn was changed to a dark, midnight blue. Finally, in late 1914 to early 1915 the blues were replaced with just plain black on the open cars. From this point until the introduction of the “Improved Models” which appeared in August 1925, black was the standard colour. Closed cars continued to be available in "Brewster Green" as late as 19th February 1919. There is no evidence that Henry Ford ever said: “You can have it in any colour, so long as it’s black.” So, from 1919 to 1925 black was the only colour.

Model T’s were available in Red, Green, Grey, Brewster Green, Midnight Blue, Commercial Green, Channel Green, Windsor Maroon, Drake Green, Highland Green, Phoenix Brown, Gunmetal Blue, Moleskin and Royal Maroon. Therefore, a minimum of 14 colours. Because of the variation between batches of early colours it’s possible that there were more colours than this list.

From the department of useless information....
Well I'll be damned! I just googled model T colors and found a list of 17 colors! How many times have I heard the story about only getting black over the years? You learn something new every day!

Thanks Mark

08-14-2014, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #263
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I'll be damned! I just googled model T colors and found a list of 17 colors! How many times have I heard the story about only getting black over the years? You learn something new every day!
Well, they all look black in those old films.....
08-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #264
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mark
I aim to please!

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 06:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Well, they all look black in those old films.....
The black and white films?
Jokes aside - The blue was a very dark, Midnight Blue colour and the green was, likewise, a very dark green.
08-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #265
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Are you sure she doesn't read this forum?
I had a former girlfriend who used to lurk here...no place is safe!

Steve

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 09:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Susinok Quote
How about red?
Like the limited edition 645D in urushi red lacquer?*

Steve

* Multiple layers of transparent red over silver leaf...gorgeous!

---------- Post added 08-15-14 at 09:18 AM ----------

but if I could have bought my K3 in a military field color I would have done so.
Definitely! My favorite color scheme for the K-50 is the olive drab/brown scheme.

Steve
08-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #266
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OOOOh, that red 645D. I think I'm in love!
08-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #267
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
OOOOh, that red 645D. I think I'm in love!
I'm in love already with any 645 I'd win/get/receive
08-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Looks good. Very low-key. Kind of an 'un-bling' look, the exact opposite of the Silver Edition.

But one could come close to this look just by greying out with a marker the Pentax logo and 'K-3' sign of a normal K-3.

EDIT:
I also notice the large image Ricoh is distributing of this new K-3 that is in the write up on the front page (here) is shot using a Hasselblad H20-v digital back, probably on a Phase One body. The studio deleted the camera make and model from the EXIF, but other details are still in the EXIF. Sigh. Why no 645Z?
This still does not mean that the image was taken with a Hasselblad. I would use a studio camera with bellows for such shot not a 645Z. That is the difference between a back that can be mounted on many cameras and a fixed sensor inside a medium format camera.

I would prefer featureas over new colors and styles...
08-17-2014, 04:08 AM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I would prefer featureas over new colors and styles...
Lets just.. you know.. adding colours to camera bodies isn't something the engineers that make features work on. So its not like "Okay, I'll implement this great new feature" "No time! You need to make the camera pink!" And secondly, the 645D/Z don't come in different colours (exception being the special edition) So colours in no way harm the camera features or anything. They are just a bonus for those of us who don't think "if its not black, it won't work well"
About the bellows.. I don't know the specifics, but there were some available in the past. But yes, adding more accessories and such would help the 645 line to be accepted more for studio work. The 645 being a single-piece and WR, seems to indicate it was meant for outdoor use and landscape photography. It is not trying to be a technical camera. Still, Pentax should use its own products, even if other brand's cameras might be more suited for that task. Why? Because it is good advertisment and it shows confidence. Just like I would be suspicious of a farmer selling produce that he refuses to eat himself
08-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #270
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
This still does not mean that the image was taken with a Hasselblad.
Yep, all it means is that the capture was a Hassy back, probably mounted to a technical camera body.

Steve