Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 61 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #151

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't believe u bought more Pentax. My wait is moving towards 3 months. When 645d comes back I'm selling and going back to my cannons and Nikon. Loved the camera but Walmart has better customer service. And it's still under warranty!

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
My camera is finally out of repair and they have a tracking number, Originally logged in on 7/17 at CRIS.
Attachment 239228
I've got a new K-50 arriving tomorrow , one of the amazing deals at Adorama right now. I should have bought it two months ago when they had a similar deal.

---------- Post added 10-04-14 at 03:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
By "normal" you mean normal for C.R.I.S. We don't know what the norm for Precision Camera is yet.
Your about to find out.. I have.. Pentax is in trouble!

10-04-2014, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #152

QuoteOriginally posted by WallEye Quote
I can't believe u bought more Pentax. My wait is moving towards 3 months. When 645d comes back I'm selling and going back to my cannons and Nikon. Loved the camera but Walmart has better customer service. And it's still under warranty!

Your about to find out.. I have.. Pentax is in trouble!
Good luck with your Cannons (sic.) and Nikon. You must have chosen to go to medium format for reasons other than customer service. That hasn't changed. You can always go with Hasselblad or Mamiya when those reasons come back at you.

Time will tell what the norm for Precision will be. It looks like the are starting to catch up with the backlog of work that C.R.I.S. dumped on them. And once the repair order gets into the system the workflow proceeds at a reasonable rate. For all we know C.R.I.S. backlogged stuff for a couple months before forwarding them Precision in one or several large shipments. I doubt even your beloved Cannons (sic.) and Nikon could cope with the flood of one or two months work dumped on them all at once.

How is Pentax in trouble? The problem is not systemic. You don't hear Pentax owners in Canada, Sweden, Germany, UK, Singapore etc. complaining about the same problems of their Ricoh/Pentax service centers. Comparing Pentax to Walmart is comparing apples to oranges. Walmart is a retail business. Pentax is not. Precision camera (and C.R.I.S. before them) is not owned or a part of Ricoh - they are just contracted to provide repair and they are just one of many such repair centers worldwide. If one WalMart store in Kentucky was having customer service problems would WalMart as a whole be in trouble?
10-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How is Pentax in trouble? The problem is not systemic. You don't hear Pentax owners in Canada, Sweden, Germany, UK, Singapore etc. complaining about the same problems of their Ricoh/Pentax service centers.
I know of at least one Canadian who would disagree:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/48-pentax-medium-format/271689-lost-cause.html
10-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
+1 Ricoh increasingly refers to Canada as part of Ricoh Imaging North America. Didn't they recently close the Canadian service department and engage a repair service company?

10-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
+1 Ricoh increasingly refers to Canada as part of Ricoh Imaging North America. Didn't they recently close the Canadian service department and engage a repair service company?
They did. The Argentia office is no longer doing repairs.
10-04-2014, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hope Precision gets their act together and Ricoh holds their feet to the fire if they don't. This is a deal breaker for me with Pentax. It's not about FF or lens road maps. It's not even about doing the extraordinary, but rather doing the ordinary extraordinarily well. I may regret having bought upgraded Pentax gear this year. No one should have to go through what posters in this thread have experienced in trying to get their equipment fixed. There has been a lot of discounting going on lately in the forum market place. Gear that usually sells quickly, i.e. recent camera body releases, limited and * lenses are just sitting without much response. Some are probably sitting it out to see if the messiah, I mean FF, appears, but I suspect others are keeping their powder dry, so to speak, while contemplating switching systems. This kind of crap does not help the situation.
10-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #157
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Agreed. But if anyone here thinks the same wouldn't have happened if Nikon change their service in the same way...
Of course Nikon always does everything correctly.

/rant

10-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #158

Good luck with your Cannons (sic.) and Nikon. You must have chosen to go to medium format for reasons other than customer service. That hasn't changed. You can always go with Hasselblad or Mamiya when those reasons come back at you.

Time will tell what the norm for Precision will be. It looks like the are starting to catch up with the backlog of work that C.R.I.S. dumped on them. And once the repair order gets into the system the workflow proceeds at a reasonable rate. For all we know C.R.I.S. backlogged stuff for a couple months before forwarding them Precision in one or several large shipments. I doubt even your beloved Cannons (sic.) and Nikon could cope with the flood of one or two months work dumped on them all at once.

How is Pentax in trouble? The problem is not systemic. You don't hear Pentax owners in Canada, Sweden, Germany, UK, Singapore etc. complaining about the same problems of their Ricoh/Pentax service centers. Comparing Pentax to Walmart is comparing apples to oranges. Walmart is a retail business. Pentax is not. Precision camera (and C.R.I.S. before them) is not owned or a part of Ricoh - they are just contracted to provide repair and they are just one of many such repair centers worldwide. If one WalMart store in Kentucky was having customer service problems would WalMart as a whole be in trouble?
How does all you just wrote help the fact that I paid stupidly $8000 for a camera that they can't fix and now have to send to factory for 3 more weeks or more? Why did it take 2 months to figure that out?
Yes I did want medium format and was thinking of Hasselblad but went with pentax for older lenses. But as usual you get what u pay for. and in time will go with other brand. I happen to have sponsors to help pay and should have gone that way, but was interested in pentax because I grew up with them. I have a rooted heart felt feeling for Pentax but that does not pay my bills! I don't mean disrespect for Pentax or you, but ricoh has other problems than repair.
10-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #159
Veteran Member

Dropped my 40 XS off at Precision on September 20. It shows as being "in repair" since that day. Will update accordingly.
10-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the Pentax cameras and I'm heavily invested in lenses, to switch to any other brand I would be paying at least twice as much for a camera that has the capabilities of the K-50. I'm not happy about the wait I've had, obviously they were caught off guard and are trying to get through it. It was a poorly planned and or executed move and I have a feeling that CRIS stopped working on Pentax and just let things pile up as soon as they found out about the change. And unfortunately I don't think you can just go out and find anyone to fix cameras in a hurry. If they have hired new techs they are probably just getting through training. They made this vendor switch to improve service, hopefully in the end it does, but the transition has been painful. I personally think they should be extending warranties for us who have suffered.

I'm surprised that you haven't joined the professional program if you're a pro, maybe that program is new, but it sounds like you should be in that.
10-05-2014, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #161
Veteran Member

How does all you just wrote help the fact that I paid stupidly $8000 for a camera that they can't fix and now have to send to factory for 3 more weeks or more? Why did it take 2 months to figure that out?
Yes I did want medium format and was thinking of Hasselblad but went with pentax for older lenses. But as usual you get what u pay for. and in time will go with other brand. I happen to have sponsors to help pay and should have gone that way, but was interested in pentax because I grew up with them. I have a rooted heart felt feeling for Pentax but that does not pay my bills! I don't mean disrespect for Pentax or you, but ricoh has other problems than repair.
That is how the Nikon service get blasted here in Sweden (unless you qualify as one of the rare pro-shooters) and Pentax (Kameraservice i Kungsör) usualy gets praise. As he said the problem is there for all brands and usually not symmetrical over the different markets. Also you pay for the service from Hasselblad and Leica when buying the cameras, most likely about 30-50% extra on the sale price. Of course you get what you pay for.
10-05-2014, 05:50 PM - 2 Likes   #162
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For what it is worth...I am the original poster and I am concerned about one thing: the lack of communication. After all of the moving, setting up, calibrating that Precision had to do, I have to say that I am HAPPY with the time the repair took and the quality of the repair. If someone would have just talked with me about my concerns! Even the call center did not give me much reason to be positive. In the end the repair actually took less time than I anticipated and cost half as much as the auto quote "app" on their website.

I received this from Ricoh in response to my email:

"Thank you for contacting RICOH.

Also, thank you for your suggestions and information regarding your recent lens repair at Precision Camera.
I will be happy to forward your correspondence to our parent company and RICOH subsidiaries, in a report designed for concerns such as these. RICOH always appreciates hearing from the consumer public regarding the use of RICOH products, or regarding suggestions for new products or improvements in any area. We appreciate you taking your time to express your thoughts.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S."

So I will be sending my 40mm Limited in for a spruce up, but HEY PRECISION...TALK TO ME!
10-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #163
Veteran Member

I think that is how it most often works today at service centers, they just auto-answer. I'm, sadly, extremely surprised everytime I get real answer from a service center.
10-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Yeah. This is not an encouraging thread. My DA* 16-50 has been waiting on parts at my local repair center in St. John's since March 2014 with still no indication of when they will be available.
10-05-2014, 06:43 PM - 2 Likes   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
I am the original poster and I am concerned about one thing: the lack of communication.
From my reading here and some limited personal experience, Randall S. is the 'Go To' guy at Ricoh Customer Service if you really need to get an answer or get something done. He actually takes resolution of Customer issues personally.

I'd send him a Thank You.