Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #181

Well, thank goodness for this thread. I was getting ready to send in my K-5 to address an issue it thinking the BG-4 grip is dead or near dead. Camera works fine without the grip, although I like using it. At this point it seems unwise to let my camera out of my hands to Precision Camera. Do I have any options?

10-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #182

I tried to contact Ricoh and Precision Camera via their on-line web forms and haven't gotten any responses. I suppose I can use Precision's on-line form for mailing in my camera, requesting a shipping label. If I get one in the mail I guess they are responsive. Otherwise I would probably be out the $220 estimate.

Has anyone used the form at http://www.precisioncamera.com/onecart-Ricoh.php and mailed in their equipment without communicating with them first?

(The aperture mechanism on my K-30 doesn't appear to function. Lenses with aperture rings work in manual mode, automatic lenses do not).

Update 10/21:
I did get a response from Ricoh today. Their reply says to send the camera to Precision.

Last edited by kiberkli; 10-21-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Added update
10-21-2014, 05:07 AM   #183

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiberkli Quote
I tried to contact Ricoh and Precision Camera via their on-line web forms and haven't gotten any responses. I suppose I can use Precision's on-line form for mailing in my camera, requesting a shipping label. If I get one in the mail I guess they are responsive. Otherwise I would probably be out the $220 estimate.

Has anyone used the form at http://www.precisioncamera.com/onecart-Ricoh.php and mailed in their equipment without communicating with them first?

(The aperture mechanism on my K-30 doesn't appear to function. Lenses with aperture rings work in manual mode, automatic lenses do not).
I used that form and didn't communicate with them at all. I selected the option to print out my own label, and then took it to a FedEx store and had them ship it out for me. I posted in this thread a few days ago that their system has my camera listed in it as "In Repair", so at least I know that they got it and are tracking it. Who knows if they are actually working on it or not. As I said before, I sent it on the 7th I believe. On their order tracking page it says that it was received on the 10th and is in the "In Repair" status as of the 13th.
10-21-2014, 05:14 AM   #184
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine has been "In Repair" since the 7th of OCT...

10-21-2014, 05:37 AM   #185
Veteran Member

Well, this thread is terrifying.

My K5iis's shutter or mirror, or both, has barfed and the camera needs to go in for repair. It's 5 months out of warranty :-(

A question: What's up with the 200 dollar fee on precision cameras web form? Has anyone been charged less than that in the end? What if the repairs cost more? Do they contact you and get the ok? Does the 200 charge go through when you submit the form?

Granted I haven't sent a lot of electronics in for repair, but I've *never* been charged before the repair facility has seen the item and determined what needs to be repaired..

Thanks.
10-21-2014, 05:53 AM   #186
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For non-warranty work, is C.R.I.S. still an option?
10-21-2014, 06:53 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
For non-warranty work, is C.R.I.S. still an option?
That is still an open question -- previously CRIS was the only option at all, but now it looks as if other places are listed as "authorized" service centers, so I would contact CRIS and ask them (or one of the other places listed on the Ricoh site) -- please tell us what they say. If I was out of warranty, I'd certainly try to stay away from Precision. In fact, if CRIS or others are still able to do the work, i.e. have the calibration equipment and are able to get parts from Pentax, then I'd probably start buying used gear and forget about warranties. The fact that it is impossible to communicate with Precision is totally unacceptable.
10-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #188
Pentaxian

I hate to say it, but I really can't see myself buying a new Pentax DSLR right now given the deplorable state of the warranty service/support infrastructure. I have no need for two bodies and don't want the expense of a second body, so if my camera failed, I would be without a DSLR for months, which is unacceptable. So if my K-30 dies before Ricoh/Pentax has this service situation under control, then I'm out.

The camera landscape is much different now than it was when I bought my first Pentax several years ago. There are too many good options out there these days to stay with a company that treats its customers this way.

10-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #189
Veteran Member

Well, I filled out the form and mailed in my K5iis yesterday. It was totally unusable so I'm not really out anything if it takes them a while to fix it. I sure hope they contact me with a price for repairs once they've actually looked at the camera. With the K3 falling in price the way it has been, it could easily be not much more expensive to replace the K5iis than to repair it.

I'm trying not to get sour on pentax over this. The camera had only 29K shutter activations on it and while I haven't babied it, I certainly haven't abused it either. It's only 17 months old. My Nikon D3100, which is 33 months old, has 26K activations on it and it's still going like gangbusters.
10-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #190
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just sent my K10D to Precision. The estimate was almost twice as much as when I sent a K-5 to CRIS for the same service. The only reason I sent it to them is because no one else has the parts or equipment to service them. As a 50 year Pentax shooter I'm going to bail to Canon for my next new DSLR purchase. I bought a 6 year old Canon 1D Mark III from a pawn shop on eekBay which had never had the mirror box replacement or AF adjustment. I sent it to Canon Factory Service and they did the service free of charge even though it was way out of warranty. Now that is customer service!

I've put most of my Pentax gear on sale in the Marketplace. I'm keeping the K10D, K20D, DA* 16-50 and 50-135, and my S-M-C Takumars that I use on the 1D2N and 1D3.

I had high hopes when Ricoh took over from Hoya but I'm really bummed out now.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 10-22-2014 at 10:52 AM.
10-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #191
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I just sent my K10D to Precision. The estimate was almost twice as much as when I sent a K-5 to CRIS for the same service.
Just to be clear you are leaving because the repair cost is twice as much as your k-5 repair was? Or are there other reasons? Just curious. Lots of posts in this thread that illustrate a real problem with repairs but leaving because of repair costs is really making a statement.
10-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #192
Site Supporter

One of the reasons is that I get better wildlife shots and BIFs with my ancient 8 megapickle Canon 1D Mk II N and Sigma APO 100-300 f/4 EX HSM + 1.4x TC without OS than I do with any of my Pentax gear including the K-3 and DA* 300 f/4 + HD 1.4x TC. A lot of that may have to do with my age and aging technique so take this with a few (hundred) grains of salt. Just my $0.02.
10-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #193
Forum Member

I was considering sending my K-5 in for the checkup promised by the extended warranty before it expires but now I'm not so sure! I wanted to send it before my niece's birthday at the end of next month.
10-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #194
Pentaxian

Those "estimates", especially for older gear, are set by Pentax (at least they used to be) and are essentially meaningless. They are more for older gear past its life cycle because they only have one estimate, i.e. all K10D estimates for anything will be the same. The charge for the actual work could be much much less or it could be something up to that amount. It is really meant as more of a warning, "Do you really want to get this fixed? Why not buy something new?" When I had non-warranty repair stuff to send to CRIS, I would bypass the whole prepay thing and just send them camera with a note with what was wrong with it and then tell me to give me the real estimate after they evaluated it and then I would pay.

Whether you can get away with that with Precision and whether you will be ultimately charged for the lower amounts you should be for minor work I don't know...and since you can't talk to anybody there kinda hard to find out but if you are bold you could just send them something blind...
10-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #195
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd have to imagine at a fairly visible point (i.e. soon) a K10D won't be repairable at all because the parts stock will be exhausted. I love mine - it's a wonderful camera for certain uses outdoors, but when it dies, it's dead. *

* which is really amazing considering I've just had my 1977 KX CLA'ed again before Eric is.