Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That is alarming considering we have heard that new lenses should have an updated part. Unless yours was on the shelf for a long time before you bought it. I think January 2012 was the date mentioned. Is there anything stamped on the paperwork or box to show manufactured date?
The "updated part" is still nothing more than an unconfirmed statement from one guy at one photo show. Manufacturing date is not revealed. Paperwork in the box often has a date, but that's just the text revision date and not connected to the lens manufacturing.

I don't want to hijack this thread. More about my attempt to figure out 16-50 dates at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/244330-when...actured-2.html

10-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
Well, this thread is terrifying.

Has anyone been charged less than that in the end? What if the repairs cost more? Do they contact you and get the ok? Does the 200 charge go through when you submit the form?

Thanks.
I did not give them any money until they called. It was $98 for the repair of my 50-135mm (SDM) including shipping. So far so good. It took a month RIGHT after the changeover. My only complaint at this point is that there was zero communication at a very tenuous time. Of course they can't spend repair time talking with customers.
10-25-2014, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #213
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Of course they can't spend repair time talking with customers.
True, but they should not have to. Automated software that emails at each step would not be difficult. Even the system CRIS used would update your account to show what the status was as it changed.

Hopefully most of this has just been due to the changeover but good communication, at least keeping someone informed of the status of their lens or camera is just basic customer service.
10-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
I did not give them any money until they called. It was $98 for the repair of my 50-135mm (SDM) including shipping. So far so good. It took a month RIGHT after the changeover. My only complaint at this point is that there was zero communication at a very tenuous time. Of course they can't spend repair time talking with customers.
I used their web form to set up my order and, although you have to put in a CC and it looks like you are being charged right then, no charge has been taken out of my account yet.

Their web tracking tool shows that my package has arrived and been checked in but it hasn't been worked on yet. Precision Camera Repair Status Lookup Tool

I'll keep reporting back here so people can see how my experience goes.

10-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #215
Site Supporter

I filled out the form and used my CC but they haven't charged the card yet. I expect they won't until they determine the exact cost or finish the repair. Hopefully. Stay tuned.
10-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #216
Veteran Member

Precision received my K5iis on Thursday of last week (10/23/14). Today, 10/27/14, their website shows it in repair.

Hopefully they will call me soon with an estimate and maybe I'll have the camera back by the weekend.
10-28-2014, 05:10 AM   #217

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by london.paul1 Quote
Checked this morning and my lens has now shipped. Looks like it just shipped this morning because the tracking number is not showing up in UPS's system yet. They did charge me the full amount that they quoted me when I sent the lens in, which was about $100. Kind of rough paying that much to fix a lens that is not worth much more than than, but still cheaper than buying a new one. I will update here again when I receive the lens and get to test it out.

So, just for recap, sent the lens on the 7th, they received it on the 10th, and shipped it on the 23rd. I would say that all in all, considering some of the horror stories in this thread that is not too shabby!
Received my lens back today. It seems to be working great! So from the day I sent it to the day I got it back it was just a day less than 3 weeks. Better than I was expecting.
10-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #218
Site Supporter

My K-30 just started randomly underexposing. It stops down too much apparently. Seems to be a fairly common aperture motor issue.... I have the two year extended warranty which expires next July. So, what do I need to send in the package to make sure this is taken care of under the warranty? Do they just need a copy of the receipt and the extended warranty card?

This thread is making me a bit nervous, but I'm glad to see some positive experiences cropping up as well. Thanks!

10-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #219
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Do they just need a copy of the receipt and the extended warranty card?
Not 100% about Precision but for CRIS they wanted a COPY of both the receipt and warranty card. Keep both originals.

And, yes it is good to start seeing positive results. It is a shame the hand over was not more seamless but at least it appears they are working through it. Lack of communication is still an issue I think but maybe that is just how they operate.
10-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #220
Veteran Member

My k5iis is now waiting on parts according to the website.

Still no call from precision about the cost. I would hope they get my ok on the cost before ordering parts.
10-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #221
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not 100% about Precision but for CRIS they wanted a COPY of both the receipt and warranty card. Keep both originals.

And, yes it is good to start seeing positive results. It is a shame the hand over was not more seamless but at least it appears they are working through it. Lack of communication is still an issue I think but maybe that is just how they operate.
Thanks! That's what I'll send then. Appreciate the help!
11-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #222

Photos: Gallery
Sad to say everyone, I am also thinking of leaving Pentax. I tried to give it a chance but the service communication by Precision camera is pretty bad. No email updates, no communication from them, incorrect diagnosis that took the full 10 business days and parts having to be ordered. The delay of parts not being on hand is sort of an unnecessary wait when all they need to do is PREORDER a full list of parts and have them on hand in a room and when they run out, they can just restock inventory so it will be like a store. Ricoh needs to start replacing cameras rather than taking time to fix the old ones if the fix will take longer than the promised 7-10 business days. They should also offer faster shipping. They should also keep the updates on the status as a HISTORY listing and not be able to go back and change the Parts on Order to In Repair without any timeframe. They should also add detailed information on the repair so we can see what is going on. They should make a note system on the site so we won't have to call in and wait 50 rings before they answer. They should NOT be making users wait 2 months (shipped my No-power-on K3 to them) without any feedback on status. I called them when it was In Repair status and they told me parts were not on order and that it would take 7-10 business days and I asked if parts could be preordered because I did not want to wait longer than 7-10 business days. She said it would be done and the amount of time they had it in repair should have indicated it would be done in the alotted time. I waited and then read on the site that parts were finally on order. I get absolutely no information from them. It's so easy for them to have a stock of K3's sitting around to replace my camera with those parts or even have the whole camera replaced. Instead I'm 2 months without a K3 and bought a K5 II to keep me afloat. This money I could have been using for many other things and the times I've not had the same functionality of the K3 has been cumbersome. I miss my K3 but I don't think I will miss Pentax.
11-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by airjames Quote
The delay of parts not being on hand is sort of an unnecessary wait when all they need to do is PREORDER a full list of parts and have them on hand in a room and when they run out, they can just restock inventory so it will be like a store.
Sounds like a simple solution but the fact of the matter is that Precision has to buy the parts. Any unsold parts in inventory affects the profit and loss that can be applied to their gross income for tax purposes in a negative manner. There are probably a number of very expensive parts that they would never use or very infrequently. Maybe 40 or 50 years ago a small-medium size business could afford to keep inventories of parts that move every 5-10 years but not today.

Ricoh should have lists of commonly replaced parts, mean time between failure and estimated consumption rates. Precision would keep parts with high consumption rates in stock on just-in-time reorder.

And how do you know they didn't run out of the parts on the Repair Order just prior to yours?
11-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #224
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sounds like a simple solution but the fact of the matter is that Precision has to buy the parts. Any unsold parts in inventory affects the profit and loss that can be applied to their gross income for tax purposes in a negative manner. There are probably a number of very expensive parts that they would never use or very infrequently. Maybe 40 or 50 years ago a small-medium size business could afford to keep inventories of parts that move every 5-10 years but not today.

Ricoh should have lists of commonly replaced parts, mean time between failure and estimated consumption rates. Precision would keep parts with high consumption rates in stock on just-in-time reorder.

And how do you know they didn't run out of the parts on the Repair Order just prior to yours?

JIT works great when it's set up correctly and the supplier and consuming company have a good working relationship. It sounds like possibly Ricoh and or Precision don't have things precisely worked out yet. Hard to say where the problem is but at this point the result is that the Pentax customer is affected in a "negative manner". Does anyone at Pentax USA give a hoot?? Doubt we'll ever know...
11-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #225
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
JIT works great when it's set up correctly and the supplier and consuming company have a good working relationship. It sounds like possibly Ricoh and or Precision don't have things precisely worked out yet. Hard to say where the problem is but at this point the result is that the Pentax customer is affected in a "negative manner". Does anyone at Pentax USA give a hoot?? Doubt we'll ever know...
Yes, they really do care. I have no idea what the solution is (well, I do .. Denver should inventory parts . . but that probably won't happen soon) but changing to Precision is an attempt to improve service. Sometimes they're better than CRIS was.