Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #226
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, they really do care. I have no idea what the solution is (well, I do .. Denver should inventory parts . . but that probably won't happen soon) but changing to Precision is an attempt to improve service. Sometimes they're better than CRIS was.

That's good to hear, so maybe things will get better in time? Surely wouldn't take up much space in the Denver facility. I wouldn't mind even paying a small fee, say $5 bucks or a small % of the purchase price of my camera or lens for "express warranty service" where the collected funds could be applied toward inventory tax they have to pay on stored parts. I'd be happy to pay that for a fast turn around on my camera or my SDM lenses... ;-)

11-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #227
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
That's good to hear, so maybe things will get better in time? Surely wouldn't take up much space in the Denver facility. I wouldn't mind even paying a small fee, say $5 bucks or a small % of the purchase price of my camera or lens for "express warranty service" where the collected funds could be applied toward inventory tax they have to pay on stored parts. I'd be happy to pay that for a fast turn around on my camera or my SDM lenses... ;-)
The issue of course is in-house repair is the best and easiest to control quality, but doing that is probably const-prohibitive in North America until volume here grows. I imagine that's all part of the long-term plan, but they have to walk before they can run.

If you read Eric's website they've been gradually outsourcing service for decades.
11-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #228
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The issue of course is in-house repair is the best and easiest to control quality, but doing that is probably const-prohibitive in North America until volume here grows. I imagine that's all part of the long-term plan, but they have to walk before they can run.

If you read Eric's website they've been gradually outsourcing service for decades.
Thank you for Eric's website. I've seen him mentioned before on the Forum and I'd love to have him run through my old Spotmatic (bought in 1970 at the PX in Saigon by my kid brother) I think the meter might be a little off but don't know if it's the new kind of batteries or just out of wack.

Thanks again, Bob
11-03-2014, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #229
Loyal Site Supporter

It is encouraging that Precision seems to be improving. I still miss having CRIS just down the road.

11-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #230

QuoteOriginally posted by kiberkli Quote
.... I had planed to ship my camera this weekend.
I had to delay shipping my camera a week but it arrived Monday. It's not in their tracking system yet (or if it is but I can't find it with my phone number or web number)...
11-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #231

QuoteOriginally posted by kiberkli Quote
I had to delay shipping my camera a week but it arrived Monday. It's not in their tracking system yet (or if it is but I can't find it with my phone number or web number)...
Ah, status says they have received it.

Update 11/6: It's now in repair.

Last edited by kiberkli; 11-06-2014 at 10:08 AM.
11-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #232
Site Supporter

Checked the status on my K10D today and the repair is delayed waiting for part(s).
11-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Checked the status on my K10D today and the repair is delayed waiting for part(s).
Wow a K10D may be hard to locate spares for. Wish you the best of luck.
BTW, if the service estimate is high and you really like your K10D I would consider just buying a used one that works to replace it.
if you just need a camera there are lots of others for reasonable price on the used market.

11-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #234
Site Supporter

I have lots of cameras. I just like my K10D which has less than 5K clicks and is very clean. A lot of the parts except for the sensor are the same on a K20D. The fact that they have ordered the parts is hopeful.
11-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #235
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I got my 16-50 back a couple weeks ago. Very clean and smooth. Works great - not sure what they did as the details are sparse. To make Precision a more customer friendly operation they'd need to address a couple main areas. (1) Communication. My experience was the same as everyone else who posted above. And you know its bad when a cobbler trounces you. They are notoriously bad - over the summer I mailed off an old pair on boots for a resole. He told me the long expected wait time. He emailed me once and told me they were in queue for a week out, called with a question and emailed when done. Most cobblers lose boots in a pile. (2) Upfront cost. I recognize there should probably be a small charge up front or "minimum" to evaluated a piece of equipment. I paid the same $200-something for my 16-50 as everyone. Maybe it only needed some cleaning and lube? A new SDM? Entirely new glass inside? (right). It would be nice to have the bill fit the repair a bit more closely.
11-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #236
Site Supporter

I sent my K-30 in last week. It arrived Friday, was logged into the system Monday. It was showing as In Repair and now the repair is on hold, waiting for parts, "Parts Ordered".
11-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #237
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I sent my K-30 in last week. It arrived Friday, was logged into the system Monday. It was showing as In Repair and now the repair is on hold, waiting for parts, "Parts Ordered".
loco,

My k5iis was checked in on the 24th. It was in "In Repair" on the morning of the 27th and then went to "Parts Ordered" for a day or two. It has been back in "In Repair" since about the 29th.

There's been no communication from Precision at all. My card hasn't been charged, I haven't received an estimate. It's really very frustrating, isn't it.
11-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #238
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
loco,

My k5iis was checked in on the 24th. It was in "In Repair" on the morning of the 27th and then went to "Parts Ordered" for a day or two. It has been back in "In Repair" since about the 29th.

There's been no communication from Precision at all. My card hasn't been charged, I haven't received an estimate. It's really very frustrating, isn't it.
Well, that doesn't sound good. I hope you hear something soon! And me too.
11-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #239
Veteran Member

I sent in my Q7 to Precision right around the time of the change over and it went into limbo.
After not hearing for a couple of weeks and getting zero answers on their contact line I 'accidentally' called one of the officers of the corporation. (Info is out there if you know where to look.)
I didn't waste his time explaining my issues, I just asked him who I should talk to about my camera.
Once he gave me a name and extension I dialed them up and told them 'officer' asked me to follow up with them.
I had very good communication and follow up after that and camera was found, repaired and shipped back promptly.
I am hopeful the communication issues have improved now that they are used to dealing with Pentax cameras more.
11-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #240
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I sent in my Q7 to Precision right around the time of the change over and it went into limbo.
After not hearing for a couple of weeks and getting zero answers on their contact line I 'accidentally' called one of the officers of the corporation. (Info is out there if you know where to look.)
I didn't waste his time explaining my issues, I just asked him who I should talk to about my camera.
Once he gave me a name and extension I dialed them up and told them 'officer' asked me to follow up with them.
I had very good communication and follow up after that and camera was found, repaired and shipped back promptly.
I am hopeful the communication issues have improved now that they are used to dealing with Pentax cameras more.
Well done Larry. W hat issues were you having with the Q7?