Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SD card eject function no longer would pop the card out. Maybe the spring broke?
It was sent back good as new.

11-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #242
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Was hoping i would be awhile before I revisited here. Upon receiving my camera about 3 weeks ago. I went to shoot a drifting event for the weekend and rented 10-24mm and 60-250mm*. Figured I'd throw my battery grip on where in about a span of 10 minutes I got the shutter flap twice and once during video mode. Then noticed my camera is detecting my battery more than 1/2 way depleted with the grip which btw had new AA Duracell's and eventually didnt detect the batteries all together. I ditched the grip. Figured I'd shoot until he battery dies but the shuter flap once more stopped that. Lastly I noticed the 60-250mm was getting slower and slower AF, so I turned my camera off 5 hours before the end of the event and charged it up. After full charge it stopped focusing altogether, then I thought SDM failure, threw fish eye on and had the same problem. In the repair order they re-calibrated everything and updated firmware which my firmware wasn't up to date, also camera froze on me yesterday too. My shutter button is still smooshy from the drop aswell which I requested in the repair order. So with all considered what should I expect or request? I'm skipping emailing and going to call Ricoh on Monday.
11-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #243
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The SD card eject function no longer would pop the card out. Maybe the spring broke?
Ouch! Mine has been acting up occasionally. How long did the repair take?
11-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #244
Veteran Member

I finally spoke to someone to get the ball rolling on Sep 2 and had the camera back on Sep 19.
So a little less than 3 weeks from acknowledgement of receipt.

11-10-2014, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #245

Photos: Gallery
When I had this issue, a piece of the sd card had broken off and gotten in to the bottom of the sd card slot. I had to shake it around until it came out.

BTW, my K3 with no-power-on issue is being shipped back to me. I initially shipped to them Sept 26 and I will receive November 13. A bit faster than the expected 2 months and really only 1 1/2. Not counting all the shipping to/from time makes it about 3 weeks in repair, 1 week in parts shipping. If you call, make sure to allow 20-30 rings before they answer. I missed at least a few events but will be glad to finally get it back. After using the K5 II, I found I missed the extra functions and will be selling my K5 II to get another K3 or, dare I say, a FF. I really don't like the service timeframe right now of repairs but it's still reliable and relatively easy to deal with if it wasn't for the excruciating wait if they are going to be getting parts or if the initial diagnosis takes the full 10 business days. The non functioning email status updates on the webpage and the lack of status details and history should be fixed and they would be a good service. The timeframe is actually good even though it seems like forever.

Here are the features I missed in some of the 4000+ shots taken w/ the K5 II:
1 Larger LCD
2 Faster finding focus I believe..
3 Higher Megapixels for cropping and details PP in High ISO
4 Better High ISO at 1600 and 3200 for lower light/faster shutter speeds. I never liked details in ISO 1600 whereas I could work w/ even ISO3200 on K3.
5 Faster shutter lag is a big one as things will move out of focus by the time the shot gets off.
6 Faster FPS means that one extra shot that was missed
7 Strangely, a big one is length and higher FPS of HD video recording
8 Another big benefit I missed was FOCUS PEAKING and the way LIVE View operates w/o turning on/off.
9 FLU card wireless capability and remote control capability via phone

I didn't realize how much I miss the K3 until it's gone.

Last edited by airjames; 11-10-2014 at 10:04 PM.
11-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #246
Loyal Site Supporter

I finally spoke to someone to get the ball rolling on Sep 2 and had the camera back on Sep 19.
So a little less than 3 weeks from acknowledgement of receipt.
That is pretty fast. Of course, it could be faster but it seems that most repairs take about that long if there is not a wait for parts.
11-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
That is pretty fast. Of course, it could be faster but it seems that most repairs take about that long if there is not a wait for parts.
Some of that was shipping time as well as they send via UPS ground.
11-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #248
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of that was shipping time as well as they send via UPS ground.
So it is really about as fast as we can expect from out west. It looks like our worries about the switch from CRIS are being eased.

11-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
So it is really about as fast as we can expect from out west. It looks like our worries about the switch from CRIS are being eased.
The main thing they need to improve is communication.
11-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #250
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So nothing has really changed. I sent a camera in for repair in 2008 and it took about 3 months.
11-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #251
Site Supporter

Checked just now and the delay for parts is over and the K10D is back in repair status!
11-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #252
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Checked just now and the delay for parts is over and the K10D is back in repair status!
Cool! Hope you get it back soon.

My K-30 is still delayed waiting for parts.
11-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #253
Site Supporter

Me too Lori!
11-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #254
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
So nothing has really changed. I sent a camera in for repair in 2008 and it took about 3 months.
I'd say from 3 months to 1.5 to 2 months is quite better (IMO).
11-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #255
Veteran Member

Still, 1.5 to 2 months is way too long.

I don't have a second K5ii-s body lying around that I can use and the K-01 is driving me crazy as my only camera. I've gone from shooting every day to shooting once or twice a week. People have started asking me why I don't have my camera with me.

Somehow, a K3 prestige edition has found it's way into my cart at BHphoto, but when I try to click on the "Begin Checkout" button all I see is a "Self Destruct" button. I think my subconscious is telling me something

The total lack of information about what is happening with my camera is the worst part. I'm also concerned that when I get the camera back it'll be with no information about what went wrong, if it was caused by something I did and how to avoid it if it was.

Grr. Sorry about the venting.