Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #316

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Guess I need to write Mr. Malinosky. I haven't even received a reply from Mr. Gristwood. My part was backordered til Dec. 5th and the status has still not changed. Still waiting for parts. I have another eagle tour planned for March and I had been assuming I'd have my camera back by then. Now, I'm not so sure. lol
it seems as though Ricoh is having a lot of trouble getting parts out to Precision Repair. I am curious as to why they are having such a time but if Ricoh won't or can't send the parts, repair can't happen. Perhaps Ricoh is of the opinion that we Pentax users like our cameras so much we will take a great deal of bad customer support before jumping to another brand. It seems to me that the Ricoh company is behaving in a dishonorable manner to their customers. I hope they get it together soon.
best hopes for your repairs.
maria

12-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mariakruse Quote
it seems as though Ricoh is having a lot of trouble getting parts out to Precision Repair. I am curious as to why they are having such a time but if Ricoh won't or can't send the parts, repair can't happen. Perhaps Ricoh is of the opinion that we Pentax users like our cameras so much we will take a great deal of bad customer support before jumping to another brand. It seems to me that the Ricoh company is behaving in a dishonorable manner to their customers. I hope they get it together soon.
best hopes for your repairs.
maria
Thanks Maria. That's too bad. I hope things change! I guess I should start writing Ricoh, too.
12-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #318

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Thanks Maria. That's too bad. I hope things change! I guess I should start writing Ricoh, too.
I called Ricoh and I have to say they were, at best, indifferent to the problem of a defective 3 month old camera. I don't know if the attitude was from the company or the young man I spoke to. He kept saying he'd push it up to Corporate, they'd get back to me. They didn't. Precision tried but were kind of dependent on getting the parts. Maybe you'll have better luck with Ricoh than this old lady. I really hope you do.
maria
12-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #319
Veteran Member

Well, the Precision web site just confirmed that my camera was received. I also signed up for their updates - thats a nice feature. The only thing they need to do is flash the new non-flapping instructions into whatever module needs it - i think. Not that it helps, but other camera companies are also getting complaints about repair service. Guess thats a symptom of hard times for sales.

I probably won't be as understanding in a coupla months

12-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #320
Pentaxian

Signing up for updates didn't actually work during October and November. Precision got my camera, fixed it, shipped it back in 4 weeks. Good turnaround time but I never received any emails despite signing up (I checked my spam folder). Worse, they didn't answer the phone.
12-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #321

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Well, the Precision web site just confirmed that my camera was received. I also signed up for their updates - thats a nice feature. The only thing they need to do is flash the new non-flapping instructions into whatever module needs it - i think. Not that it helps, but other camera companies are also getting complaints about repair service. Guess thats a symptom of hard times for sales.

I probably won't be as understanding in a coupla months
I signed up as well but never got any information. Maybe it was because nothing changed so there was nothing to update. And yes, my understanding became less as the weeks rolled by. Maybe all the camera companies are like this now. I never had a problem with a camera before so I don't know how the others operate.
I guess as they cut back on the number of repair facilities times grow longer for the customers.
Here's wishing a speedy recovery for yours.
maria

---------- Post added 12-16-14 at 06:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Signing up for updates didn't actually work during October and November. Precision got my camera, fixed it, shipped it back in 4 weeks. Good turnaround time but I never received any emails despite signing up (I checked my spam folder). Worse, they didn't answer the phone.
I found that if I hit 6 while they were giving me the menu and then 0, sometimes I could get to customer service. Not always but sometimes.
maria
12-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also signed up for their updates - thats a nice feature.
Wonderful feature, except I don't think they use. I never got any emails anyway. I did check the website every day and it seemed to update as things progressed.

---------- Post added 12-16-14 at 05:49 PM ----------

And to keep things going the 18-135 I sent in for repair in November for a faulty DC AF motor is now on it's way back to Precision for the same fault. One picture focused fine, the next nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Well, OK the motor still whines and thinks it is working but nothing moves and focus is not achieved.

I have no idea if this means I'm out another $166 (which would mean I should have just tossed it and got a new one) or if they have some kind of repair warranty. I looked the site over and could not find anything. I guess we will find out.

12-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Wonderful feature, except I don't think they use. I never got any emails anyway. I did check the website every day and it seemed to update as things progressed.

---------- Post added 12-16-14 at 05:49 PM ----------

And to keep things going the 18-135 I sent in for repair in November for a faulty DC AF motor is now on it's way back to Precision for the same fault. One picture focused fine, the next nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Well, OK the motor still whines and thinks it is working but nothing moves and focus is not achieved.

I have no idea if this means I'm out another $166 (which would mean I should have just tossed it and got a new one) or if they have some kind of repair warranty. I looked the site over and could not find anything. I guess we will find out.

I sure hope that they stand behind their work. This will tell us a lot...
12-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
I sure hope that they stand behind their work. This will tell us a lot...
yep. Aggravating thing is that I rushed the repair out the door and paid for two day shipping the first time because of all the complaints about how long repairs takes. My wife (this is her lens) has a family portrait shoot scheduled at Christmas and she was frantic to get her lens back in time. She was delighted they got it to us in plenty of time, and now crushed that it is going back. We have other lenses she can use, but she is not a big lens changer and likes the 18-135. She is definitely a zoom person and primes frustrate the heck out of her. Except for my 35mm Limited, for some reason that has taken up permanent residence in her bag.
12-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yep. Aggravating thing is that I rushed the repair out the door and paid for two day shipping the first time because of all the complaints about how long repairs takes. My wife (this is her lens) has a family portrait shoot scheduled at Christmas and she was frantic to get her lens back in time. She was delighted they got it to us in plenty of time, and now crushed that it is going back. We have other lenses she can use, but she is not a big lens changer and likes the 18-135. She is definitely a zoom person and primes frustrate the heck out of her. Except for my 35mm Limited, for some reason that has taken up permanent residence in her bag.
Bet your wife will end up with your 16-50 next week.... ;-)
12-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Bet your wife will end up with your 16-50 next week.... ;-)
She already has it. Oh well, I'm OK using primes and she isn't. And I have a FA 28-70 f/4 I have not used for a while so I'll tote that along.
12-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She already has it. Oh well, I'm OK using primes and she isn't. And I have a FA 28-70 f/4 I have not used for a while so I'll tote that along.
Hope you two have a wonderful Christmas and capture many special moments with your Pentax cameras... ;-)
12-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you sir! And the same to you and yours.
12-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #329
Veteran Member

Just checked the status and its thru repair and has been shipped - due this friday

Timeline:
a. Precision received K3 on 12/16
b. Through repairs on 12/17
c. i signed up for 2 day shipping for $7 and it will be delivered to me on 12/19

The only thing i asked for was to reflash the mirror instructions to prevent mirror flopping

Kudos to Precision for a prompt repair - couldnt ask for a better turnaround.

phil
12-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #330

Just checked the status and its thru repair and has been shipped - due this friday

Timeline:
a. Precision received K3 on 12/16
b. Through repairs on 12/17
c. i signed up for 2 day shipping for $7 and it will be delivered to me on 12/19

The only thing i asked for was to reflash the mirror instructions to prevent mirror flopping

Kudos to Precision for a prompt repair - couldnt ask for a better turnaround.

phil
Wow! That's great.
maria