Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #31
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is actually a mutual problem. The repair center makes the decision about carrying parts inventory. The issue is, parts are often not packaged as 1 Unit. Rather they are packed in a box of several. I suspect CRIS waits to order a box until it has enough cameras waiting for the part to completely use a full box. Otherwise they'd need to inventory the unused portion of that part.

Ricoh could somewhat rectify this problem by specifying performance in the service contract and allowing higher charges - or even paying a guarantee - so CRIS would have enough profit to carry parts.
Or CRIS could simply inventory parts and have spares on the shelf waiting for repairs to get them out quicker.

08-18-2014, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Website says to call 800-877-0155 for questions about repairs. I did call and have sent the lens to Precision in CT for repair. The countdown begins.
08-19-2014, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Website says to call 800-877-0155 for questions about repairs. I did call and have sent the lens to Precision in CT for repair. The countdown begins.
I called the 800-877-0155 number again tonight and got nowhere. The cameras sent from CRIS are not even logged yet at Precision. I was told nothing has been lost or damaged but there is a lot of repairs to do+. I suspect when CRIS was told they lost the contract they just started letting the repairs pile up and worked on other business, so now there is a backlog. I tried calling Precision at 800-665-6515 tonight and every time the call seemed to get answered it was lost. Actually the lady at Pentax said they were having the same trouble calling Precision today. At least the people at Ricoh were very nice and sympathetic, albeit helpless. They did say people are working hard at the transition, which makes it sound all the more poorly planned.

By the way it's interesting to call the Ricoh number and listen to the phone menu choices. A prominent choice is marketing campaigns.
08-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #34
mee
Site Supporter

I hope they discount your repair...

08-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #35
Veteran Member

This is a bad time to need a repair - with the transition and all.
08-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I hope they discount your repair...
It's warranty service.
08-21-2014, 05:30 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm in the same holding pattern. I sent in my 16-50 the first week ini July before I caught wind of the changes. They can't get me more information until the Precision Camera data base is up and running. I am just picturing a room full of boxed good from CRIS waiting to be inventoried and logged. Could be a while!
08-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle94VT Quote
I'm in the same holding pattern. I sent in my 16-50 the first week ini July before I caught wind of the changes. They can't get me more information until the Precision Camera data base is up and running. I am just picturing a room full of boxed good from CRIS waiting to be inventoried and logged. Could be a while!
That's exactly how it was explained to me. I've talked to Ricoh people twice and Precision once and I've got the same story from all of them, I think they are sincere, but were totally unprepared for the volume, and setup could have taken longer than expected. They should have negotiated a database transfer with CRIS. In my estimation (speculation of course) this kind of thing should have been done before they shipped the gear. But if your lens was at CRIS the first week in July I really think they just stopped working on Pentax, or everybody decided to send their gear to them in July. I chose July to send mine in because I shoot outdoors, and July and August are the least appealing months to shoot outside around here. The way it is shaping up I'll be lucky to see it before October.

08-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #39
Lens Buying Addict

I've written often about the damage Hoya did to the distribution franchise in the USA when they outsourced almost every single element of the Pentax presence here. This is but one example of the battle RIAC will need to fight to restore some semblance of market infrastructure in the Americas Division.

I sincerely hope Precision was not the low bidder at contract renewal time, rather there was a more rigorous Service Level Agreement and Performance Measurement Agreement component and a corresponding higher payment in this contract. If in fact C.R.I.S. simply stopped performing completely once they were terminated such action defines why they were terminated.
08-21-2014, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #40
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It's warranty service.
ouch... then maybe extend your warranty for the trouble? Not that, after this debacle, you'd likely want to send it back in to them...

That is outrageous that they are holding your equipment for so long. At this point, I'd be considering a temp camera. I wonder if they can offer a loaner??
08-22-2014, 03:12 AM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've written often about the damage Hoya did to the distribution franchise in the USA when they outsourced almost every single element of the Pentax presence here. This is but one example of the battle RIAC will need to fight to restore some semblance of market infrastructure in the Americas Division.

I sincerely hope Precision was not the low bidder at contract renewal time, rather there was a more rigorous Service Level Agreement and Performance Measurement Agreement component and a corresponding higher payment in this contract. If in fact C.R.I.S. simply stopped performing completely once they were terminated such action defines why they were terminated.
Of course that is speculation by me that CRIS stopped performing, but Eagle94VT's lens there even longer re-enforces that idea. Outsourcing is the way these days and there have been many companies damaged by it. Hopefully you are right and Ricoh is expecting better performance from Precision. At least there are actual Ricoh/Pentax employees in country, and not just a distributor like many companies use.

ouch... then maybe extend your warranty for the trouble? Not that, after this debacle, you'd likely want to send it back in to them...

That is outrageous that they are holding your equipment for so long. At this point, I'd be considering a temp camera. I wonder if they can offer a loaner??
I've got to think it will normalize after this snafu and hopefully be improved. Fortunately I have an Oly E-520 and the two basic kit lenses to use, but that feels like going back in time, nothing's wide enough, long enough, fast enough, and that IQ just isn't there.
08-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, hopefully the situation will finally improve in the US.
I'm not in the US but I'm forced to notice you guys aren't really served nearly correctly.
08-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #43
mee
Site Supporter

Do you think it is safe to send C.R.I.S. Sigma branded lenses right now or better to wait?
08-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Do you think it is safe to send C.R.I.S. Sigma branded lenses right now or better to wait?
Probably as safe as it ever was.

Steve
08-23-2014, 05:31 AM   #45
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Probably as safe as it ever was.
That's not instilling much confidence in me about their services....