Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #61
Pentaxian

This is sounding like a bad decision on Ricoh's part, I was really hoping they'd improve the service situation but looks like they've made it worse.

09-05-2014, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #62

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
This is sounding like a bad decision on Ricoh's part, I was really hoping they'd improve the service situation but looks like they've made it worse.
... and until Ricoh sorts out the way they do service, I'm not going to bother buying 645Z's. If I plop down $20k - the same as an inexpensive car - I have some service expectations.
09-05-2014, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Precision today has given me a tag number, over two weeks after they received my lens. They marked it as received on Sept 5, 2014. Then listed it as a "50mm SMC D 1.8" when it is actually a DA* 50-135mm. At least they have the serial number correct or I would be VERY nervous. I am sorry for the rant folks, but PF somehow seems to calm me down. LOL.
Did they notify you or did you find it on the website form? I go to that form everyday, I don't even know if it actually works.

You should feel lucky, CRIS received my camera on July 17 and sent it to Precision on July 30, they have had it at least a month. I've made several calls to Ricoh and sent an inquiry in through the Ricoh website. I got a very lame response from someone that really didn't read the inquiry, so I've and sent back another email asking to confirm they have my camera or have lost it. They got that back Thursday evening and did not respond today. My next letter is to the CEO if I don't get a positive response by Monday. I've been told many times that they are still logging cameras in, my reply this time was "If Precision is actually taking this long to log the cameras in something is dreadfully wrong and Ricoh needs to intervene."

Another thing that I think is absurd, is that they are telling customers to contact Precision. My contract is with Ricoh, not Precision, Ricoh needs to handle that communication. I'm now almost two months without my camera and I'm extremely frustrated.

I don't think you can blame Precision on this, the fault lies squarely on Ricoh. The transition was either very poorly planned of just handed to the contractor to do as they see fit. Ricoh should have a team of people on site at Precision to oversee this fiasco.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 09-05-2014 at 11:04 PM.
09-06-2014, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll co-sign that letter if it comes to that. Still waiting for updates here as well. At this point I can't even get the lens back to try on my own. I figure between watching a few YouTube how-to videos and warming up with the game 'Operation' I should be good.

09-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I don't think you can blame Precision on this, the fault lies squarely on Ricoh. The transition was either very poorly planned of just handed to the contractor to do as they see fit. Ricoh should have a team of people on site at Precision to oversee this fiasco.
No, this has nothing to do with poor planning or a bad contractor decision. Precision Camera has ALWAYS behaved this way, it's not just some sudden backlog causing the delays and lack of communication. This is business as usual at Precision, and you should expect this kind of service going forward.

As for choosing this company... do you realize how many electronics repair companies are able to handle modern DSLRs in any significant volume in the US? I count 2 of them, possibly 3.

There's no point trying to guess why the contract with C.R.I.S. was cancelled. It could just as easily been caused by either side (maybe C.R.I.S. was sick of losing money on every repair with all the defects in recent years, maybe someone got drunk and hit "Cancel" instead of "Accept"). Unless someone has inside knowledge, it's all random guessing.
09-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #66
Pentaxian

I went to the BBB site and read through the complaints that have been filed against them (they have 10x as many as CRIS btw, but sometimes that just means they do 10x the business) -- still, almost all of the involved the fact they they do not answer the phone, they do not respond to emails, they have no contact whatsoever. Also a few complaints about them sending back "repaired" cameras that were obviously never even touched. All of the complaints were responded to/resolved though (which generally just involved a refund, not actually fixing the problem), i.e. to get any attention you may have to file one with the BBB.

This is a big deal. I've been planning on getting my K-3, continuing with Pentax, etc, but this gives me serious pause as I have needed warranty service and other repairs in the past (and I got nothing but good work from CRIS) and if they've gone with a company that has a habit of "not giving service", that won't even answer ANY inquiry at all, that sends back damaged cameras that they've billed you for...I mean, if you need repairs ever, then you're screwed, right?
09-06-2014, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dam

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I went to the BBB site and read through the complaints that have been filed against them (they have 10x as many as CRIS btw, but sometimes that just means they do 10x the business) -- still, almost all of the involved the fact they they do not answer the phone, they do not respond to emails, they have no contact whatsoever. Also a few complaints about them sending back "repaired" cameras that were obviously never even touched. All of the complaints were responded to/resolved though (which generally just involved a refund, not actually fixing the problem), i.e. to get any attention you may have to file one with the BBB.

This is a big deal. I've been planning on getting my K-3, continuing with Pentax, etc, but this gives me serious pause as I have needed warranty service and other repairs in the past (and I got nothing but good work from CRIS) and if they've gone with a company that has a habit of "not giving service", that won't even answer ANY inquiry at all, that sends back damaged cameras that they've billed you for...I mean, if you need repairs ever, then you're screwed, right?
I don't even know how to shop for a Canon or Nikon. I've been using Pentax since my first in 1966. I guess I'll have to sort that out.

---------- Post added 09-06-14 at 01:16 PM ----------

I just looked at Ricoh Imaging for Ricoh cameras. I smell a rat. They refer repairs to:

Ricoh Service Center

C.R.I.S. Camera Services
Phone: 480-940-1103
Fax: 480-940-1329
www.criscam.com
Email: <ricoh@criscam.com>

Now, does this look like ( I hate thinking like this) it is possible that this is a way to get people to move to Ricoh cameras? I cannot think of why they would continue using CRIS for Ricoh cameras and lenses and send Pentax repairs to what is more and more looking like a company with a questionable business model.

Just sayin"
09-06-2014, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Pentaxian

It's a global plot and Pentax is doomed.

09-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #69
Lens Buying Addict

Ricoh should have a team of people on site at Precision to oversee this fiasco.
Ricog Imaging Americas Corp. doesn't have a 'team of people.'
09-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #70
Pentaxian

That would go over well. Say send a team over from Japan to tell them how to run their business of over 65 years. And don't forget that Pentax/Ricoh is just a portion of the brands they service.
09-06-2014, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #71
mee
Site Supporter

Did they notify you or did you find it on the website form? I go to that form everyday, I don't even know if it actually works.

You should feel lucky, CRIS received my camera on July 17 and sent it to Precision on July 30, they have had it at least a month. I've made several calls to Ricoh and sent an inquiry in through the Ricoh website. I got a very lame response from someone that really didn't read the inquiry, so I've and sent back another email asking to confirm they have my camera or have lost it. They got that back Thursday evening and did not respond today. My next letter is to the CEO if I don't get a positive response by Monday. I've been told many times that they are still logging cameras in, my reply this time was "If Precision is actually taking this long to log the cameras in something is dreadfully wrong and Ricoh needs to intervene."

Another thing that I think is absurd, is that they are telling customers to contact Precision. My contract is with Ricoh, not Precision, Ricoh needs to handle that communication. I'm now almost two months without my camera and I'm extremely frustrated.

I'm thinking this whole situation (not just yours but including yours) with the new service company needs to be a couple questions for Adam to ask Ricoh representatives at Photokina.

2 months without even confirming it is still in possession.. much less repaired or even being repaired.. is atrocious.

Adam. would you please ask about this man's situation and the overall issue with Precision and what they are going to do to rectify this horrible debacle?
09-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It's a global plot and Pentax is doomed.
Very funny. It's good you're enjoying the fact that numerous people have been without their Pentax equipment for weeks or months, with no resolution in sight.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-06-2014 at 06:41 PM.
09-06-2014, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter

Drat, my 2-yr extended warranty will expire in December on my K-5, and its mirror is double-flipping on a full charge. Not sure now if anyone will even look at it before my time is up, maybe I should live with it. CRIS could fix that one blindfolded by now!
09-07-2014, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Very funny. It's good you're enjoying the fact that numerous people have been without their Pentax equipment for weeks or months, with no resolution in sight.
I am sorry you took it personally. I was only reacting to mysterick's statement:

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
(...)

Now, does this look like ( I hate thinking like this) it is possible that this is a way to get people to move to Ricoh cameras? (...)

Just sayin"
09-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Do you think it is safe to send C.R.I.S. Sigma branded lenses right now or better to wait?
Sigma's service department in New York is first rate. Anytime I've dealt with them, they have been very quick and their prices have been reasonable. Is there a reason to send a Sigma lens to C.R.I.S. instead? Are they drastically cheaper?