Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2014, 03:26 AM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Last year I sent in my 50-135 for a focus issue to CRIS and everything went great. Reasonable turn around time, a $60 bill. Not on warranty.

Is CRIS bailing on Pentax 100%? My 16-50 is not under warranty and I didn't send it there under any guise of it being under warranty.

I am concerned that when I look at the Precision Camera website and type in the 16-50 lens it already comes up with a price (I think I saw $206?)? Is that the price they are going to charge me to log it into their system?

I have emailed Ricoh to see if they can just help get my lens back unopened. (Hahaha)

09-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote

The ONLY liaison I have found is the "Call Center" in North Carolina;
I meant to say if they "had" a liaison, in other words they need to get one -- a person who's job it is to make sure repairs are being handled properly and professionally in a timely manner. And they also need to make sure they are well-stocked with parts!
09-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #93
Pentaxian

United Camera has been an authorized Pentax service center for years and is still listed on the link to services centers I posted earlier.

It is also interesting to note that on the C.R.I.S. website they sell camera test and calibration equipment.

And the C.R.I.S. repair request form still lists the Pentax K2000D as a model they will repair.
09-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
...Only for very simple repairs. The calibration equipment for cameras and lenses comes from Pentax. ...
OK, so this is cleared up for me. I do remember now that part of the hold up on my repair last year was that it was sent out for 'proprietary' adjustments.

Julie Jacobson <JJacobson@unitedcamera.com>
10:18 AM (54 minutes ago)

to me
Hi Rick,

We can manage some repairs for different models. It is best, to contact Pentax directly with the lenses. We do not have the software needed to calibrate the lenses once repaired if needed.

Julie

09-08-2014, 08:21 AM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
United Camera has been an authorized Pentax service center for years and is still listed on the link to services centers I posted earlier.

It is also interesting to note that on the C.R.I.S. website they sell camera test and calibration equipment.

And the C.R.I.S. repair request form still lists the Pentax K2000D as a model they will repair.
Well hopefully there will some choices -- Advance Camera in Portland is on the list -- they were one that told me their Pentax equipment was taken away (or the fees were too high to keep it or some such). This was all pre-Ricoh though....
09-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #96
Pentaxian

This was all pre-Ricoh though.
That's why I suggested that people should contact the nearest center on the list and find out what the current situation is.
09-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Precision Camera contacted me today. My lens is on the bench and it is a reasonable repair price. They are set up and apparently open for Pentax business.
09-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #98
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Precision Camera contacted me today. My lens is on the bench and it is a reasonable repair price. They are set up and apparently open for Pentax business.
That's certainly good news!

09-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #99
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
That's certainly good news!

Indeed. I hope the clog has been cleared and it is smooth sailing now.
09-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #100
Site Supporter

I called Ricoh tonight and got straight through (no phone menu) on a couple of rings, and was connected to a helpful rep who has elevated my case to corporate (whatever that actually means). He said the cases that have been elevated have moved into the system quickly. He mentioned that this situation has just gotten the attention of the corporate people and thinks they are going to take some type of action soon. I know in the company that I work for some issues get nearly out of control before the people that can change it react, then it costs a lot to right it.

I'm not sure if the case was elevated because of the number of calls I have made or I just got the right person. I have also contacted them via email through the website and posting in the "Ricoh Imaging Community". I haven't got an answer from my RIC post yet, but they haven't removed it either. Kind of makes me wonder if they don't look at it every day.
09-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #101
Site Supporter

Well hopefully there will some choices -- Advance Camera in Portland is on the list -- they were one that told me their Pentax equipment was taken away (or the fees were too high to keep it or some such). This was all pre-Ricoh though....
Advance Camera still offers Pentax service. It has been several years since I have been in their shop, but my impression at the time was that they were good people to do business with.

Steve
09-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Advance Camera still offers Pentax service. It has been several years since I have been in their shop, but my impression at the time was that they were good people to do business with.
Yeah, I had a nice conversation with an obviously very knowledgeable repair guy, but he said don't send your camera because they no longer had the equipment to calibrate it back to factory specs. This was Hoya era with the K10D -- about 5 years ago now maybe, not sure.
09-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #103
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
He mentioned that this situation has just gotten the attention of the corporate people and thinks they are going to take some type of action soon. I know in the company that I work for some issues get nearly out of control before the people that can change it react, then it costs a lot to right it.
In my company there is real fear to move bad news up the chain of command. An issue starts, "The salesmen HATE the new software. It doesn't work and it loses 2 of 3 orders." becomes, "The salesmen are diligently learning to put their orders through. There are a few bugs to work out but we're on top of it," by the time HQ hears of it.

Our Chairman and CEO hosted a conference with the Top 100 sales people (of 17,000) to, "Listen, learn, answer your questions and address your issues." They started with #1. He spoke for 30 minutes and listed a litany of issues. #2 said, "Everything Jim said, and . . ." for 30 minutes. This went on from 9:00am until 4:30pm, through the 6:00pm dinner and well into the scheduled motivational speaker time. The chairman had the good sense not to call on the speaker.

At 7:00am the next day the Chairman addressed the assembled Top 100. He started, "I didn't know. I'm going to find out why I didn't know and fix that. Then I'm going to find out what I don't know. I'm going to read every one of your issues, assign them to teams of managers and ask one or two of YOU to lead each team. Not one of us - one of YOU. I hope you will come back in 90 days and I'll give you our plan to fix this."

Then he gave his understanding of the issues by category - he had slept about 3 hours and claimed he had personally done the work in his hotel room. 2 yeas in, about half the issues are fixed and the company has spent $900MM of an allocated $2BBN.

From the outside loooking in one would imagine there were some serious vacancies on the Executive Office floors in very short order after that meeting.
09-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #104
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In my company there is real fear to move bad news up the chain of command.
I think that nails the culture in many companies. No one wants to be the "negative" person. And sometime you have middle management types that really have no understanding of the processes that they are trying to relay news about, and thoroughly send the wrong message. The companies I have worked for always make huge preparations for visits from high level corporate officers. And the fact that I have seen very few surprise visits reinforces this feeling that they don't want to see problems, whether that feeling has any basis in fact or not.
09-11-2014, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #105
Veteran Member

Well, after about 3 months now, I still have no news as to what happened to my camera and when it is going to be repaired after Criscam sent it to Precision Camera.
This is very sad and worrysome as to the status of the repairs.