Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Confidence...

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
However, this excerpt from the Precision Camera Pentax page does not particularly inspire confidence:

"The PENTAX camera line includes a full range of high-quality products from convenient digital point-and-shoot cameras like an Optio, to advanced feature-packed digital SLRs for experts like the ZX, ME, and MX digital models." (Emphasis supplied by me )

Steve
..that is the underlying concern. I do feel much better after talking with Randy from Ricoh.

@NaN: I can use my 55-300 in a pinch for awhile.

07-29-2014, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just talked to Ricoh again. Randy said to NOT send any repairs to the service until August 10th. If you have a repair already in the system, they will be able to update you if you call the number on their website. The return form on the website is still imprinted with the Chandler AZ address, so I'm thinking that will need to be updated before you use it. I hope this information is useful.
07-29-2014, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I sent my K-30 to CRIS and they received it on July 17, I just requested a status update and got this email:
Name : Mail In Customers
Customer Account # : MI39901
Store Tag No :
CRIS WorkOrder No : WO559483
Submitter's Message : Pentax / RICOH IMAGING is currently in the process of
moving the factory service location from Arizona to Connecticut.

We will no longer be servicing Pentax equipment as of August 1, 2014; your
camera will be forwarded to the new facility.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our customer service
department at our toll free number 800-234-0276.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm pretty sure that it's going to take longer. Hopefully they will really be on their toes, and maybe some techs from Pentax in Japan will be helping them get started. But my real thought is ARGHHH!

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 08-01-2014 at 07:45 PM.
07-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe they want folks to but more cameras - as spares.

07-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had sent my 16-50 to CRIS in early July (before I saw this thread!) and the latest update is that my lens is packaged up to ship to the new facility. After 4+ yrs of not so light use I am concerned about the SDM. We'll see. it has treated me well!
07-31-2014, 10:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Sent in my K50 early July and when I track repairs from CRIS, it says also that it was shipped to another facility.
So, I guess the repair will take longer than I thought. =(
08-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My latest update now says
" THIS UNIT IS BEING FORWARDED TO THE NEW LOCATION
OF THE RICOH FACTORY SERVICE CENTER
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PLEASE CALL THE CENTER 800-665-6515
OR RICOH CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 800-234-0276"

It also has a date of 7/30 for repair completed and shipped. I'm sure the repair is not started and and that date had to be filled in to put a date in the shipped line. I'm sure "shipped" is to the new facility.

08-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
However, this excerpt from the Precision Camera Pentax page does not particularly inspire confidence:

"The PENTAX camera line includes a full range of high-quality products from convenient digital point-and-shoot cameras like an Optio, to advanced feature-packed digital SLRs for experts like the ZX, ME, and MX digital models."

Steve
Well, the Photokina announcements aren't out yet!
08-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #24
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Just heard from CRIS and United Camera:

As of August 1st we will no longer be the Pentax service center, they are changing facilities, for repairs please contact Precision Camera at 1-800-665-6515.
Is United Camera affiliated with CRIS ? (http://www.unitedcamera.com) ?
08-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have not had a problem with CRIS in fact I got very good service except the wait for parts, which is a Ricoh problem.
It is actually a mutual problem. The repair center makes the decision about carrying parts inventory. The issue is, parts are often not packaged as 1 Unit. Rather they are packed in a box of several. I suspect CRIS waits to order a box until it has enough cameras waiting for the part to completely use a full box. Otherwise they'd need to inventory the unused portion of that part.

Ricoh could somewhat rectify this problem by specifying performance in the service contract and allowing higher charges - or even paying a guarantee - so CRIS would have enough profit to carry parts.
08-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, but United was an authorized repair shop.

---------- Post added 08-03-14 at 09:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is actually a mutual problem. The repair center makes the decision about carrying parts inventory. The issue is, parts are often not packaged as 1 Unit. Rather they are packed in a box of several. I suspect CRIS waits to order a box until it has enough cameras waiting for the part to completely use a full box. Otherwise they'd need to inventory the unused portion of that part.

Ricoh could somewhat rectify this problem by specifying performance in the service contract and allowing higher charges - or even paying a guarantee - so CRIS would have enough profit to carry parts.
OR, Ricoh could use CRIS as a small-quantity warehouse for some of the parts; particularly the *lines and Limited lines as an incentive.
08-03-2014, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe, no way to know without asking CRIS. But I can get a package of lens caps from China in 5 days with free postage. Why cannot CRIS get parts from Japan in less than 2 months? If it is because they have to buy full boxes, well that is stupid on Ricoh's part (IMHO). It is just plain poor customer service. Hopefully the new center will work with Ricoh to get that resolved. I don't rely on photography as my main income but what I do make is not insignificant and waiting two months or more to get a camera back into service is not acceptable. There needs to be at the very least a 'fast track' for those that need their gear back. If it costs more that is fine, not having a camera costs money too.

If Ricoh wants to play in the 'pro' market with high end gear (like 645z or FF) then they must back up the photographers who depend on their gear for a living. And I am sure they know that, they sell lots of copier equipment that is mission critical. If the one in our office goes down, we just shut down and go home, we cannot work without it.
08-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little while ago I called the Ricoh Customer Service line at 800-234-0276 and talked to somebody about my repair. He asked for my name and phone number but then said he has no way to track my camera at this time and no repairs will be started until 10 August. The reason that no repairs will start before then is that the equipment has not shipped yet. He did say that the cameras were shipped on the 29th, did not mention parts at all. I mentioned that it would have been nice to know this change was happening when I sent my camera in (and I would have waited). He apologized and said they did not know before a couple weeks ago. I notice they have updated the website to say they are changing facilities. Now I know it will be at the least more than another week to get my camera. It's not a good feeling. sigh

Obviously Ricoh/Pentax owns the repair equipment and it must be substantial, not just bench top as I has somewhat assumed. Somebody has the big job of removing, possibly disassembling, packing, shipping, unpacking, re-assembling, installing, testing, and re-calibrating that equipment. I'm sure the 10th is dependent on all going well.
08-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In an effort to add a positive note to this thread I recently acquired a k-5IIs without the bottom cover for the grip pins. A quick search on ebay and elsewhere proved fruitless and I was thinking I would just use some gaffers tape. But I sent an email to Ricoh just to see. Never got a response back or acknowledgement of the email so figured it went into limbo.

Then a package shows up in the mail with a new rubber port cover and a note that says "Compliments of Ricoh Imaging".

So thanks Ricoh, or Ricoh parts or whoever managed to do that. I greatly appreciate it, and that is what customer service is supposed to be like.
08-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
"Compliments of Ricoh Imaging".
Nice! Well done, Ricoh.

Thanks for posting.

- Craig