Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 61 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, I'll certainly provide updates. Changes happen. I did send my 50-135 to CRIS about a year and a half ago - seemed the focus was just off. It was probably a simple adjustment - $65, back in perfect shape and has worked without issues since then.

08-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Do you think it is safe to send C.R.I.S. Sigma branded lenses right now or better to wait?
CRIS just lost the Pentax business so they should be caught up, unless they laid off the techs that worked on Pentax.
08-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
my update

The good news is that Precision Camera has enabled the "Get an Estimate" tool on the website for Pentax. The bad news (for me) is that they don't know they have my 50-135 yet. Soon, soon I hope.
08-27-2014, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i'm afraid to call and ask if they have mine yet!

08-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm hoping nothing of mine breaks until they get this sorted.
08-27-2014, 09:16 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find myself wanting to believe that Ricoh walked into CRIS and found things lacking enough that they just said "to hell with this" and told people to start packing everything up.
That said, the fact that we only get one service center in the USA and they can't even manage to supply it with part is a great way to tell us how little this market matters.
Hopefully this new place really is a good service center and the Pentax warehouse in the USA will actually start being a warehouse.

I got used to dealing with several Japanese companies when I fixed things as a Yamaha marine dealer among others (motorsports is the same way). Anything and everything was next day if you wanted to pay the shipping because absolutely everything was kept in one of several US warehouses in quantity. I could have even the oddball vintage model parts that were only kept in Japan in less than a week.

Keep in mind those are massive and varied product lines with far more expensive products. With the tiny amount of different products in the Pentax lineup it would be cake for a major corporation to have adequate supply of parts in the country and have at the very least a weekly shipment from Japan.

There really honestly is no excuse for how piss poor the parts end of things has been and the service isn't much better.
08-31-2014, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Been sending inquiries to Precision Camera for weeks asking if they can repair one of my lenses -- no response at all. (Finally I just sent a message that said, "Is anybody reading this?" Still nothing.) Not a good sign...

08-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Hopefully this new place really is a good service center and the Pentax warehouse in the USA will actually start being a warehouse.
I didn't think there was an actual Pentax warehouse in the USA. I thought that was part of the problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
a major corporation to have adequate supply of parts in the country and have at the very least a weekly shipment from Japan.
Where was it written RIAC is a major corporation? When they moved to Denver from Golden in 2012 the Denver Post crowed about the '50 employees' Pentax had brought to Downtown Denver. In the 70's I bet Pentax had 50 Salesmen!!'

I work on one 15,000 square foot floor of an office building. We have 67 people on that floor. There are 44 offices and 20 enclosures that are much bigger than a cubby (full-sized desk with return and a credenza). Add the Receptionist and two people in a large operations area.

RIAC is TINY! (everything is outsourced).
08-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In the 70's I bet Pentax had 50 Salesmen!!'
...on the West Coast...

Steve
08-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just checked the repair status on the Precision website and instead of saying "no record" it now says "The server is currently updating records. Please try again in a few minutes." This change occurred today because I checked last night. I have checked every day since 8/17 when UPS delivered my lens this is a first. Hopeful (but sorry) if they are working on Sunday to get this "ship out of port."

Back to "no record"

Last edited by mysterick; 09-02-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: update
09-03-2014, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Apparently Ricoh has no control over the company they have selected to repair OUR Pentax cameras and lenses. I'm told their hands are tied and the staff at the call center have relayed the concern that many people have expressed to Ricoh. Precision Camera neither answers the telephone nor responds in a "timely manner" as their business philosophy touts. I am sooo frustrated right now.
09-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Apparently Ricoh has no control over the company they have selected to repair OUR Pentax cameras and lenses. I'm told their hands are tied and the staff at the call center have relayed the concern that many people have expressed to Ricoh. Precision Camera neither answers the telephone nor responds in a "timely manner" as their business philosophy touts. I am sooo frustrated right now.
They don't even answer the phone? Sheesh...
09-03-2014, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #58

Wasn't another posting celebrating the loss of C.R.I.S. as the Pentax/Ricoh Service Center? Sounds like they may be wishing for the "good old days" of C.R.I.S.
09-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Precision today has given me a tag number, over two weeks after they received my lens. They marked it as received on Sept 5, 2014. Then listed it as a "50mm SMC D 1.8" when it is actually a DA* 50-135mm. At least they have the serial number correct or I would be VERY nervous. I am sorry for the rant folks, but PF somehow seems to calm me down. LOL.
09-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #60
Veteran Member

ugh... I'd rather be the center segment of a human centipede than have to deal with Precision Camera again. They're really awful. They're in the neighbouring state from me, yet I'd still much rather send my camera gear all the way across the continent to C.R.I.S. than put up with Precision Camera. I've had nothing but excellent service from C.R.I.S. I still have nightmares from my dealings with Precision Camera.