Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
One of the reasons is that I get better wildlife shots and BIFs with my ancient 8 megapickle Canon 1D Mk II N and Sigma APO 100-300 f/4 EX HSM + 1.4x TC without OS than I do with any of my Pentax gear including the K-3 and DA* 300 f/4 + HD 1.4x TC. A lot of that may have to do with my age and aging technique so take this with a few (hundred) grains of salt. Just my $0.02.
In my own personal use, I've found higher-megapickle cameras require better technique with wildlife, all else being equal. Focusing errors and motion blur seem to be less evident when there's fewer pickles.

Also, do you turn off the Pentax SR when panning along with moving subjects? Sometimes the SR itself is the problem, as it tries to compensate for your intentional camera movement.

10-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kthornsberry Quote
Well, thank goodness for this thread. I was getting ready to send in my K-5 to address an issue it thinking the BG-4 grip is dead or near dead. Camera works fine without the grip, although I like using it. At this point it seems unwise to let my camera out of my hands to Precision Camera. Do I have any options?
Why can't you just send the grip in?
10-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #198
Pentaxian

Interesting article from a few years back which may or may not affect us................
Precision Camera Cuts Hundreds Of Jobs In Enfield As It Shifts Work To Texas And Mexico - Hartford Courant
10-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Interesting article from a few years back which may or may not affect us................
Precision Camera Cuts Hundreds Of Jobs In Enfield As It Shifts Work To Texas And Mexico - Hartford Courant

After reading that article I'd MUCH rather send my camera or lens to a repair facility in Japan and wait a little longer or pay a little more. Wonder if we could send our gear to Japan for service?

10-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #200

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Why can't you just send the grip in?

Because the grip works just fine on my other camera.
10-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
After reading that article I'd MUCH rather send my camera or lens to a repair facility in Japan and wait a little longer or pay a little more. Wonder if we could send our gear to Japan for service?
But how do you ship it to Japan and get it back without customs fees on each end?
10-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
But how do you ship it to Japan and get it back without customs fees on each end?

Well maybe you don't? I assumed that sending it back for warranty work wouldn't get you a customs fee? I've bought a number of items from Germany direct and while shipping costs were high there has never been customs fees??

10-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Well maybe you don't? I assumed that sending it back for warranty work wouldn't get you a customs fee? I've bought a number of items from Germany direct and while shipping costs were high there has never been customs fees??

I don't know how you can designate an item you are shipping as "warranty work".

I sell on eBay and some other sites, and frequently when shipping to other countries, import fees have to be taken into consideration. For inexpensive items that can be sent economy it may not be much of an issue, but when you are sending something valuable that needs insurance, I think that the declared value will usually result in import fees. But maybe this varies from country to country...I just don't know that much about it. But my wife is from Brazil, and from what she says there are crazy import fees on items you have shipped...like 60% or something.
10-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've shipped to/received from Japan and Europe and Australia, through both Ebay and other means, and have never had to pay import fees/customs. But none of these transactions topped $500.

At a company I used to work for, we did ship globally, and Brazil is difficult and expensive, as noted. Most of South America is so difficult in that respect that we eventually discontinued the program there.

When shipping a camera for warranty work, you can list it as "broken camera/warranty return" in the item description box.
10-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #205

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by london.paul1 Quote
I recently sent in my 35mm 2.4 to get the focus ring repaired (it was so stiff that the screw drive on the camera couldn't turn it). Sent it on the 7th I believe. On their order tracking page it says that it was received on the 10th and is in the "In Repair" status as of the 13th. I will keep you all updated as to how it goes from here....
Checked this morning and my lens has now shipped. Looks like it just shipped this morning because the tracking number is not showing up in UPS's system yet. They did charge me the full amount that they quoted me when I sent the lens in, which was about $100. Kind of rough paying that much to fix a lens that is not worth much more than than, but still cheaper than buying a new one. I will update here again when I receive the lens and get to test it out.

So, just for recap, sent the lens on the 7th, they received it on the 10th, and shipped it on the 23rd. I would say that all in all, considering some of the horror stories in this thread that is not too shabby!
10-23-2014, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #206

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/377/~/duty-on-goods-purchased-o...ir,-alteration,

QuoteQuote:
When sending goods overseas, the exporter should send the overseas supplier a copy of the CBP Form 4455 in the package and have them return it with the goods when sending them back to the U.S. This will let the foreign country Customs and CBP know the purpose of the import into either of their countries. The form should be in the package and easily accessible, so when the item is returned to the U.S. and examined by CBP it will be clear to the CBP Officer that the goods were previously in the U.S.

Also, ask the overseas supplier to include in the return shipment an invoice with any cost incurred for repairs, alterations, processing or differences in the cost for the replacement, exchange, or upgrade if any. The cost of repairs, alterations and processing may be dutiable, depending on the commodity and origin of the goods. If repairs were made under warranty, please have the overseas supplier indicate it on the invoice. If the goods were replaced, exchanged or upgraded and the value of the goods is more than the original purchase, have them indicate on the invoice the price paid for the new item and the difference between the cost of the new and original purchase. Duty may be required if the difference is a substantial amount.
10-23-2014, 05:45 AM   #207
Veteran Member

That's very good information, thank you. Hopefully it works smoothly in practice. I see that part of it depends on the person sending the repaired item back including the CBP Form 4455 in the box. If they don't do that, it's possibly you could still get hit with customs fees and/or have to waste some time trying to correct the issue.
10-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #208
Pentaxian

I just got my DA* 16-50 back from warranty service.

The good: Precision took 3 weeks, plus shipping. That's a decent turnaround time considering they are still learning.

The bad: The lack of communication. They don't answer the phone and neglected to send update emails.

The ugly: This one reflects on Pentax Ricoh not Precision. My 16-50 is less than a year old and the SDM needed repair.
10-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The good: Precision took 3 weeks, plus shipping. That's a decent turnaround time considering they are still learning.
+1 I would say a two week turn around would be more than acceptable, three weeks is OK and considering they are new better than expected.
The bad: The lack of communication. They don't answer the phone and neglected to send update emails.
This really should not even be an issue. I can buy something at just about any online store and get constant progress updates. There is no reason at all they should not be sending an email at each step. And not answering the phone? Seriously?
The ugly: This one reflects on Pentax Ricoh not Precision. My 16-50 is less than a year old and the SDM needed repair.
That is alarming considering we have heard that new lenses should have an updated part. Unless yours was on the shelf for a long time before you bought it. I think January 2012 was the date mentioned. Is there anything stamped on the paperwork or box to show manufactured date?
10-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #210

I just got my DA* 16-50 back from warranty service.

This is good news. I had planed to ship my camera this weekend.