Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 61 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #331
Veteran Member

Ok - just got the K3 back from Precision.

Came with ticket which reported:
QuoteQuote:
A complete repair and return all functions to factory specs.

Auto Focus test, check, recalibration and realignment
Firmeware download. Corrections and adjustments. Address values measured and adjusted
Complete cleaning (internal-external)
That should cover the floppy mirror repair, but it doesn't say that specifically. In any case, i have the printed documentation that i submitted it for that repair should it reoccur.

It does look clean and smart. Everything operates fine and focuses quickly.

Happy Customer

12-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #332
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you had a good experience, Phil.

I have now written both the CEO and VP of Precision and have received no reply from either of them. I guess the next step is to write Ricoh. I'm not a happy customer.
12-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #333

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Ok - just got the K3 back from Precision.

Came with ticket which reported:

That should cover the floppy mirror repair, but it doesn't say that specifically. In any case, i have the printed documentation that i submitted it for that repair should it reoccur.

It does look clean and smart. Everything operates fine and focuses quickly.

Happy Customer
Phil, glad to hear it. I received mine back yesterday and so far so good.
Loco, I am sorry to hear you haven't heard back yet. I hope Ricoh will be more helpful.
maria
12-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #334
Veteran Member

Thank you Maria.

Well, I talked with Charlene at Precision again and now the part that was backordered until Dec. 5 is backordered with "no ETA"! Quite disconcerting. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get my K-30 back. I wrote Ricoh and they replied saying they cannot provide an ETA on parts ordered from Japan. Exactly why is that? If they can't, who can? There is no excuse for a company to tell a customer that they cannot even estimate how long they will have their camera for warranty repair! Who ever heard of such a thing?

I wrote again and let Ricoh have it. For all the good it will do. But at least I vented. Very frustrated here.

12-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #335
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I wrote Ricoh and they replied saying they cannot provide an ETA on parts ordered from Japan. Exactly why is that?
Well, they could airfreight parts,
but if they come by container ship,
the problems at the west coast ports
may be having an effect.
12-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Well, they could airfreight parts,
but if they come by container ship,
the problems at the west coast ports
may be having an effect.
Possibly. I have no sympathy for them, though. They know about this and there are ways around it, as you stated.
12-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #337

Thank you Maria.

Well, I talked with Charlene at Precision again and now the part that was backordered until Dec. 5 is backordered with "no ETA"! Quite disconcerting. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get my K-30 back. I wrote Ricoh and they replied saying they cannot provide an ETA on parts ordered from Japan. Exactly why is that? If they can't, who can? There is no excuse for a company to tell a customer that they cannot even estimate how long they will have their camera for warranty repair! Who ever heard of such a thing?

I wrote again and let Ricoh have it. For all the good it will do. But at least I vented. Very frustrated here.
I am so sorry to hear that. I cannot figure out just what is going on. It's almost like Ricoh has no interest in maintain their repair places. I have to say the people at Precision seemed to be very frustrated with Ricoh. It makes them look bad and Ricoh just doesn't seem to care. Have you tried to email JMalinosky@precisioncamera.com he was very helpful.
maria

---------- Post added 12-22-14 at 03:17 PM ----------

Possibly. I have no sympathy for them, though. They know about this and there are ways around it, as you stated.
I'm sorry, I remember now that you had emailed JMalinosky@precisioncamera.com already. Maybe you just have to keep at them. I wonder if other camera companies are like this. I never had my Canon or Nikon in for repair so I had no idea what to expect. I love my K-3 but Ricoh is not on my Santa list for good thoughts.
I hope you get some answers soon.
maria

12-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #338
Veteran Member

No one from Precision (Gristwood or Malinosky) has even responded to my emails. At least Ricoh did respond, though they weren't very helpful either. I'm grateful I still have my K-r. It occasionally has a sticky shutter. I just hope it holds out until I get the K-30 back -- whenever.

Thanks for the good wishes, Maria.
12-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #339
Pentaxian

@loco, contact Ricoh again and politely ask their policy for replacing a camera when a warranty repair can't be completed if parts are unavailable. What's the maximum amount of time they will keep a warranty customer waiting for parts?

I didn't scroll back to see how long you've been waiting. Contact your local consumer protection agency (probably a County or State office, not the BBB) to see what they recommend based on your local laws.
12-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #340

Checked Precision today: K-30 arrived Nov 4, then parts on order until today or yesterday. Now its in Repair.
I was beginning to plan for replacement...
12-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
@loco, contact Ricoh again and politely ask their policy for replacing a camera when a warranty repair can't be completed if parts are unavailable. What's the maximum amount of time they will keep a warranty customer waiting for parts?

I didn't scroll back to see how long you've been waiting. Contact your local consumer protection agency (probably a County or State office, not the BBB) to see what they recommend based on your local laws.
Thanks very much, DeadJohn. I'll do that if it stretches on much longer. I've been waiting almost two months. Not as long as some have. The thing that frustrates me is the "no ETA" business. That's a great idea, and I will definitely do that.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiberkli Quote
Checked Precision today: K-30 arrived Nov 4, then parts on order until today or yesterday. Now its in Repair.
I was beginning to plan for replacement...
Glad to hear it! Ours arrived almost the same day. I just checked my status, hoping maybe a shipment came in including my part, but no such luck. I'm glad yours is moving along!
12-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #342
Veteran Member

Well, after checking Precision's status page and finding no change (parts still on order), I followed DeadJohn's advice and sent another polite email to Ricoh early Friday. A few hours later, I checked Precision's status page again, and what do you know --- the camera is "in repair" status!! I'm so excited I can't see straight! I hope this means the work will be done soon and the camera will be on its way. Wow, Ricoh works fast. Ha. I'm sure that was just a coincidence, but I'm happy things seem to be moving at least.
12-27-2014, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #343

Well, after checking Precision's status page and finding no change (parts still on order), I followed DeadJohn's advice and sent another polite email to Ricoh early Friday. A few hours later, I checked Precision's status page again, and what do you know --- the camera is "in repair" status!! I'm so excited I can't see straight! I hope this means the work will be done soon and the camera will be on its way. Wow, Ricoh works fast. Ha. I'm sure that was just a coincidence, but I'm happy things seem to be moving at least.
That's great loco. I hope they get everything done soon for you. Will keep fingers crossed.
maria
12-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Precision camera's site reports my 18-135 in for repair (the second time) as received 12/19, in repair 12/20 and shipped back 12/22. Quite good except the arrival date is listed as 1/5. Two weeks shipping? I did not think there was anything that slow. Considering 2 day delivery in the US is about $11, I cannot understand why they would ship anything else. How much can they possibly have saved? $2-3??
12-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #345
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Frankly I can't beleive this is indeed a coincidence. Precision got kick in the butt from PRIC so they moved fast.
Anyway, important thing is your camera should be back quickly now. Hope so