Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 61 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #346
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Frankly I can't beleive this is indeed a coincidence. Precision got kick in the butt from PRIC so they moved fast.
Anyway, important thing is your camera should be back quickly now. Hope so
Perhaps. Either way, I'm hoping this is over and I don't have to send anything else in!! Thank you!

And thanks, Maria!

jatrax, I hope you get the lens quicker than that!

12-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #347
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Frankly I can't beleive this is indeed a coincidence. Precision got kick in the butt from PRIC so they moved fast.
Anyway, important thing is your camera should be back quickly now. Hope so
Or nothing has happened but they changed the status in the computer...
12-27-2014, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Buzzkill
12-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #349
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Either way 'cos of PRIC.

12-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #350
Veteran Member

Does anyone know -

I need a new hood for my DA50-135. Is it better to request that of Pentax or just go to precision??
12-27-2014, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #351

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Does anyone know -

I need a new hood for my DA50-135. Is it better to request that of Pentax or just go to precision??
Replacement under warranty? Otherwise purchase it from B&H.
Not sure if this is the one: Pentax PH-RBK 67mm Lens Hood 38754 B&H Photo Video
If this is your lens: http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX_DA_Star_50-135mm_F2...!product-specs
12-28-2014, 01:16 AM   #352
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiberkli Quote
Replacement under warranty? Otherwise purchase it from B&H.
Not sure if this is the one: Pentax PH-RBK 67mm Lens Hood 38754 B&H Photo Video
If this is your lens: PENTAX - smc PENTAX DA Star 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
Thats the same part number on my broken hood. Ordered the hood - thanks very much for info - i had no idea BH would have it.

Phil

12-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #353
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Thank you Maria.

Well, I talked with Charlene at Precision again and now the part that was backordered until Dec. 5 is backordered with "no ETA"! Quite disconcerting. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get my K-30 back. I wrote Ricoh and they replied saying they cannot provide an ETA on parts ordered from Japan. Exactly why is that? If they can't, who can? There is no excuse for a company to tell a customer that they cannot even estimate how long they will have their camera for warranty repair! Who ever heard of such a thing?

I wrote again and let Ricoh have it. For all the good it will do. But at least I vented. Very frustrated here.
So - a K30. Your camera could be as old as 32 months. The part might not even be in production any more, especially if it is a circuit board.

If the part is manufactured by an outside supplier who cannot give an ETA what is Ricoh to do?

What should a manufacturer do, keep a supply of every conceivable part for every camera ever made in a warehouse somewhere - whether the manufacturer out-sourced or self-sourced each part - ready to airfreight anywhere on earth at a moment's notice? Are you willing to pay the freight for a single part? Are you willing to wait weeks for a bulk shipment of parts for many repairs, but not pay extra for airfreight?

Should each region keep a mirror of the main parts warehouse list ready to FedEx from (say) Denver to (say) Connecticut?

Are you willing to pay the cost of all that when you buy a camera - whether yours ever breaks or not - so the statistically small number of buyers whose cameras do break can have their cameras back in 10 days?

For a $600 camera?

The unfortunate truth is cameras are disposable. You might have bought your camera on end-of-life close-out, at a clearance price, with a one year warranty that you expect to be fulfilled - and you are justifiably upset - but in these times of vicious price competition at Big Box merchhants, soft costs are still costs. There just might not be a solution that works.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-28-2014 at 09:55 AM.
12-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #354
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So - a K30. Your camera could be as old as 32 months. The part might not even be in production any more, especially if it is a circuit board.

If the part is manufactured by an outside supplier who cannot give an ETA what is Ricoh to do?

What should a manufacturer do, keep a supply of every conceivable part for every camera ever made in a warehouse somewhere - whether the manufacturer out-sourced or self-sourced each part - ready to airfreight anywhere on earth at a moment's notice? Are you willing to pay the freight for a single part? Are you willing to wait weeks for a bulk shipment of parts for many repairs, but not pay extra for airfreight?

Should each region keep a mirror of the main parts warehouse list ready to FedEx from (say) Denver to (say) Connecticut?

Are you willing to pay the cost of all that when you buy a camera - whether yours ever breaks or not - so the statistically small number of buyers whose cameras do break can have their cameras back in 10 days?

For a $600 camera?

The unfortunate truth is cameras are disposable. You might have bought your camera on end-of-life close-out, at a clearance price, with a one year warranty that you expect to be fulfilled - and you are justifiably upset - but in these times of vicious price competition at Big Box merchhants, soft costs are still costs. There just might not be a solution that works.
All good points, but frankly that is not my problem. I purchased an extended warranty and purchased the K-30 right after its release. If Ricoh cannot fix the camera as promised within a reasonable amount of time, then it is their responsibility to provide a suitable replacement. That's the solution.

However, as I stated, it seems the repair is moving along, at least according to Precision's website. And that is what I want -- my K-30 back. I have no desire for another camera. I want my K-30 returned in working order, that's all.
12-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #355
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All good points, but frankly that is not my problem. I purchased an extended warranty and purchased the K-30 right after its release. If Ricoh cannot fix the camera as promised within a reasonable amount of time, then it is their responsibility to provide a suitable replacement. That's the solution.
I agree.

However, as I stated, it seems the repair is moving along, at least according to Precision's website. And that is what I want -- my K-30 back. I have no desire for another camera. I want my K-30 returned in working order, that's all.
in the extreme (they just can't repair it and there aren't any new K-30's left to replace it) replacement with whatever is the comparative current model should suffice.
12-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
(...)

in the extreme (they just can't repair it and there aren't any new K-30's left to replace it) replacement with whatever is the comparative current model should suffice.
Guess who will happily receive a K-S1 in exchange of his faulty K-30?
12-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Guess who will happily receive a K-S1 in exchange of his faulty K-30?
LOL, her and no thanks!
12-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #358
Veteran Member

My K-30 is out of repair and has been shipped!! Hooray! It's too early to have any tracking info, but I'm very grateful it's on its way home. Happy New Year!
12-31-2014, 06:02 PM   #359

My K-30 is out of repair and has been shipped!! Hooray! It's too early to have any tracking info, but I'm very grateful it's on its way home. Happy New Year!
Lucky you. I'm glad. Good to see there is progress. Happy New Year to you as well.
12-31-2014, 06:16 PM   #360
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-30 is out of repair and has been shipped!! Hooray!
That is great news!