Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Repairs

Just heard from CRIS and United Camera:

As of August 1st we will no longer be the Pentax service center, they are changing facilities, for repairs please contact Precision Camera at 1-800-665-6515.

07-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #2

It appears there is a Precision Camera and Video in Texas and Precision Camera Repair in Connecticut. You want the latter:

PENTAX Camera Repair | Authorized Service Center | Precision Camera
07-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, that might explain the "not authorized to sell parts" response that we have been getting from CRIS. I've had very good experience with CRIS so curious to know why they are changing. (But we will never know)

Precision says "Since 1948" CRIS says "Since 1984"

K-5II, IIs, and K-3 are not on the list of models @ Precision. Nor are any of the Q models.

---------- Post added 07-28-14 at 01:08 PM ----------

QuoteQuote:
Professional Camera Repair Services

Precision Cameras professional services division offers the repair, cleaning and calibration of professional level photographic products on many types of equipment. We service digital SLR cameras, film based SLR cameras, high-end ED & L series lenses and on-camera electronic flash units from manufacturers such as Canon, Fuji, & Nikon. Our professional camera and lens repair services are performed by the industries most experienced, factory trained, quality driven technicians. We understand that you need your equipment back in your hands as quickly as possible. Our professional services division can turn around most repairs in less than three days. Rush repairs completed within 24 - 48 hours are available upon request. We can also provide a "same-day" cleaning of your cameras image sensor.
Maybe wishful thinking but I thought this blurb was interesting. Of course 48 hour turn around only works if you actually have the parts in stock and don't have to wait 3 months for it to come from Japan.
07-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I hope (for you) that it will be an improvement.

07-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I hope (for you) that it will be an improvement.
I have not had a problem with CRIS in fact I got very good service except the wait for parts, which is a Ricoh problem. What I thought interesting was that one of the often voiced complaints is that no 'pro' photographers could use Pentax because repairs take too long. The above service promises 24 - 48 hour rush repairs which was not available before. Of course this is generic text from the web site so no idea if it will be offered for Pentax gear.

But with the release of 645z one thing missing (IMHO) was a professional repair service that can turn equipment around quickly when needed. We will see in August I suppose if this service applies to Pentax gear.
07-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have not had a problem with CRIS in fact I got very good service except the wait for parts, which is a Ricoh problem.
...and not unique to Ricoh. I have a friend whose 7D spent a month at CRIS waiting for parts from Canon.

IIRC, Precision Camera has been an authorized Pentax service facility* for decades, but not the designated place for warranty repairs until now.

Steve
07-29-2014, 06:07 AM   #7

Product Repair & Service - RICOH Imaging

"Please ship all products requiring warranty repair to the service facility nearest you. We do accept walk-in or repair drop offs at the RICOH IMAGING Service Facility."

Precision is among the service facilities listed (Including C.R.I.S. and Ricoh Imaging (same address as CRIS)).

07-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just spoke with a customer service person at Precision at the 800 number above supplied to me by CRIS. After about 20 rings (it's a long story) I was able to get through. She didn't seem versed in repair language. I was told that they do not do the repairs but send them to the factory. I said you mean you send them to Japan or Vietnam? She said, actually they have a factory in the US. ??? Can someone help me have confidence in this series of unannounced repair circumstances?

---------- Post added 07-29-14 at 01:01 PM ----------

I just e-mailed them with the same questions to see if there is any difference in the response.

---------- Post added 07-29-14 at 01:17 PM ----------

I just spoke with Randy at Ricoh. CRIS is in the process of moving to Precision in Connecticut and will be ready for orders after August 10th. He said if anyone has questions to call (800) 877-0155. 3-4 week minimums for repair turn around.
AND there is NO factory in the US.
Peace
07-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I need to send in my K-01 and now I don't know where.
07-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My K-01 and K10D were sent to precision camera. It has been 2-3 weeks and I haven;t heard anything back.
07-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
My K-01 and K10D were sent to precision camera. It has been 2-3 weeks and I haven;t heard anything back.
They will not be doing repairs (in Connecticut) until August 10th or later. So logically it will take an additional 3-4 weeks for the repair given this new information.
07-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
I just spoke with Randy at Ricoh. CRIS is in the process of moving to Precision in Connecticut and will be ready for orders after August 10th. He said if anyone has questions to call (800) 877-0155. 3-4 week minimums for repair turn around.
AND there is NO factory in the US.
They were probably sending them to CRIS / Ricoh Imaging. The Pentax / Ricoh websites lists a Ricoh Imagaing service facility at the same address as CRIS. That's why probably why the person you spoke to thought it was a US factory.
07-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
They were probably sending them to CRIS / Ricoh Imaging. The Pentax / Ricoh websites lists a Ricoh Imagaing service facility at the same address as CRIS. That's why probably why the person you spoke to thought it was a US factory.
so, I'm not sure if I should go ahead and send my lens in to be checked out or wait until August 10th? Randy said it will probably get overwhelmed at first. I'm glad I am basically retired.
07-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #14

Kind of a tough call. On the one hand it might be good to get it into the queue early. On the other hand it might be better to wait until they get organized and the operation running smoothly. If time is not a factor I would opt for the second - at least you know where you equipment is while you are waiting.
07-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
IIRC, Precision Camera has been an authorized Pentax service facility* for decades
However, this excerpt from the Precision Camera Pentax page does not particularly inspire confidence:

"The PENTAX camera line includes a full range of high-quality products from convenient digital point-and-shoot cameras like an Optio, to advanced feature-packed digital SLRs for experts like the ZX, ME, and MX digital models." (Emphasis supplied by me )

Steve