Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #106
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 95
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
If they really put a button on such a prominent place & named the camera for so-called 'selfies', I'll have to consider myself hopelessly out of date & touch with modern times.

Then again, I don't understand the appeal of Twitter (or more to the point, Instagram) either.
"selfies" are the narcissist version of over done to death HDR....fun for a bit and in tiny doeses but as a full time way of shooting, yaaaaawn.

08-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #107
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,606
The q is too good for selfies. The idea is that the lousy iq of phone camera's masks al signs of ageing. You would need an ugly noise filter to compensate.
08-01-2014, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #108
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,449
A Selfie button will only be useful if there is also true WiFi connectivity to your Phone built in. The fastest-growing demographic on Instagram (and thus on Facebook altogether) is females age 54+. Gotta keep up with the grandkids.

I/G is actually a useful tool to document and transmit to followers interesting activities. My children have several accounts - all Private - and give me access to one of them (they premit different follower groups for each unique account). When they want me to see something they've done they add photos to the Inhstagram stream in that account. I get a notice.

In many ways that is a eLetter from a child that contains ePrints rather than the old Instamatic photo prints I sent my parents.

SanpChat is really scary. Snaps go away after a few minutes. I don't EVEN want to know.

I don't have a clue what purpose that pustule could fulfill.
08-02-2014, 01:36 AM   #109
Pentaxian
i83N's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,144
By the way have any one noticed that there is no Ricoh label one new Q ?

08-02-2014, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,409
RicohIsDoomed!
08-02-2014, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #111
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,707
Oh, oh, oh! Monochrome is onto something. The 'S' tells us this is, not a "selfie" camera, but a Snapchat camera!

Ricoh is most definitely doomed!
08-02-2014, 03:13 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,245
The Q system could cross over to a true enthusiast, even professional platform with some faster lenses and some attention to frame rate, AF accuracy and, dare I say it, video.
We'll soon see if things are heading in the right direction.
08-02-2014, 05:36 AM   #113
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 418
The new "button" can't possibly be a shutter release. Making a selfie cam would best implement a flip-up screen like that Samsung mini. A thumb release would be less than useless and I just don't think selfies are an important design issue for the Q design team.

Internally, the IR sensor is already in that location. To move it would require remapping all internal mounts and wiring on that side if the camera. That is an engineering and production line change, with costs. I think the new feature is the still the IR sensor in a finger grip. I'd need to hold one to judge if that's an adequate grip. I find that I hold my Q7 with only my index finger in front of it, so maybe it's fine.

SR badge missing means nothing. Original Q had none. This will still have SR.

I find it interesting that the 2 dials are now on the top deck, and not flush to the deck. Maybe that buys some room inside the body for something new, and maybe it's just a retro-design feature. Ditching the full grip looks like it did away with some internal real estate, so who knows what's going on inside.

I'm going to guess Q-S1 maybe has full compatibility with the Pentax FLU card and not just the Q7's compatibility with eye-fi type cards. That means no internal wi-fi. I have found wi-fi to my phone with the eye-fi card has been very easy and more than adequate. I see no need to internalize wi-fi, which would increase the base cost for those not interested in wi-fi at all. A card makes it an optional cost only for those who want it.

08-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #114
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,269
I think the mystery button on the front looks like an attachment point for a strap or some other accessory. Won't know 'til the specs are out, though. As far as the styling, I think it looks similar to the original Q body style, which looks great to me. I still prefer the original body style, though.

I'm wondering if there's much new under the hood on this one, or if it's a cosmetically altered version of the Q7. If it's the latter, why bother?
08-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #115
HYS
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 297
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
The new "button" can't possibly be a shutter release. Making a selfie cam would best implement a flip-up screen like that Samsung mini. A thumb release would be less than useless and I just don't think selfies are an important design issue for the Q design team.

Internally, the IR sensor is already in that location. To move it would require remapping all internal mounts and wiring on that side if the camera. That is an engineering and production line change, with costs. I think the new feature is the still the IR sensor in a finger grip. I'd need to hold one to judge if that's an adequate grip. I find that I hold my Q7 with only my index finger in front of it, so maybe it's fine.

SR badge missing means nothing. Original Q had none. This will still have SR.

I find it interesting that the 2 dials are now on the top deck, and not flush to the deck. Maybe that buys some room inside the body for something new, and maybe it's just a retro-design feature. Ditching the full grip looks like it did away with some internal real estate, so who knows what's going on inside.

I'm going to guess Q-S1 maybe has full compatibility with the Pentax FLU card and not just the Q7's compatibility with eye-fi type cards. That means no internal wi-fi. I have found wi-fi to my phone with the eye-fi card has been very easy and more than adequate. I see no need to internalize wi-fi, which would increase the base cost for those not interested in wi-fi at all. A card makes it an optional cost only for those who want it.
That will be the pearl in the crown!
Q with Flu ...
08-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #116
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The q is too good for selfies. The idea is that the lousy iq of phone camera's masks al signs of ageing. You would need an ugly noise filter to compensate.
Well, the new Pentax XG-1 does include a "Face Beautifier":

PENTAX - XG-1

Maybe it will also be a feature of the new Q!
08-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #117
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,120
There's got to be a reason for the S in the name. Seems like a new subline in the Qniverse. Higher or lower, remains to be seen. I would guess lower, but it seems that there's always Q's on closeout, so that could make it tough.
08-02-2014, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
There's got to be a reason for the S in the name. Seems like a new subline in the Qniverse. Higher or lower, remains to be seen. I would guess lower, but it seems that there's always Q's on closeout, so that could make it tough.
I'm going with "S" for Satellite, as in GPS. This would transform the Q into a perfect compact travel camera. Think of it as a less rugged but higher IQ version of the WG-4 GPS camera.
08-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #119
New Member
teignmouthpentaxguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Teignmouth, Devon, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6
S1 for square 1 inch sensor!!! OK, probably not.
08-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #120
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
S=Sealed, wouldn't that be a dream?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
5-15mm, auto, build quality, cameras, distance, dslr, fps, lenses, line, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, q2, quality, ricoh, screen, sensor, sensor size, spec, sr, tv
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumour: New Q with larger sensor JPT Pentax News and Rumors 217 06-18-2013 12:52 AM
Re-cycling another Pentax FF rumour/FF rumor from A German photography magazine rawr Pentax Full Frame 73 09-19-2012 01:12 PM
Pentax full frame rumour schufosi777 Pentax Full Frame 1041 09-04-2012 01:03 AM
Will this be the Q2 sensor? Unsinkable II Pentax Q 3 08-21-2012 01:24 AM
Q Mini Review - Hoping for a Q2 deanm3 Pentax Q 38 09-21-2011 09:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top