Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In Q-S1, the S is for Selfies.

The "circular thing in the front" is a cap that protects a mirror that assists in framing selfies (no swivel back LCD for the sake of thinness).
I'm going with this too.

07-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm not sure SR does anything meaningful on any of my Q's.
It's enabled me to get keepers from handheld adapted 90mm and 180mm lenses.
07-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #78
Veteran Member

That new control on the front probably isn't a dial because it has no knurls (ridges). I also doubt it's a grip because it's shaped so weird. It probably isn't an attachment point for a new grip or they'd probably show that grip in these photos. A selfie button seems superfluous. Remember the pentax P&S that had a vertical orientation shutter release? Yeah, me neither. I do agree that it's over the front IR port. Perhaps it's a wide angle lens so you can activate the shutter from really oblique angles. :-)

My guess is that it's just a physical attachment point for something like a belt clip. Maybe there will be new accessories for attaching the camera to bike handlebars, helmets, etc.
07-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
(...)

My guess is that it's just a physical attachment point for something like a belt clip. Maybe there will be new accessories for attaching the camera to bike handlebars, helmets, etc.
S for "Sport"?

07-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

snip

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
S for "Sport"?
There's a host of Outdoor Accessories for the WG series including mobile mounting brackets. They're somewhat clunky but they're there.
07-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #81

Photos: Albums
to me the camera has more of a retro/hipster vibe than a sporty vibe, but thats just my take on it. whatever that new 'knob' is its certainly a conversation starter and so is the enigmatic 'S1' name. I still think it could be a quirky IR cover that by necessity doubles as a not very erganomic grip, what ever it is its there and will be part of how the camera is heald and its a very odd adition to the camera to my eyes. or if they've ditched the IR on the front maybe it is a cover for a new accessory port as some people have sugested. also I think the camera looks plastic and lower price point rather than metal and premium price point.
07-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It probably isn't an attachment point for a new grip or they'd probably show that grip in these photos. A selfie button seems superfluous. Remember the pentax P&S that had a vertical orientation shutter release? Yeah, me neither..
Starting to remind me of my Ultramatic.

07-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I still think it's a clip on attachment. Maybe the will come with a belt clip. The alternative is a water release button to spray your unsuspecting subjects.
I think it's just a grip-button, that enables you to hold the camera with the middle finger.

Otherwise, Pentax seems to be declining it's Q serie as Nikon with it' 1 products.
I see this new commer as a low cost / girl targetted version of Q-7.
Some kind of "reaction" to the recent Samsung NX Mini.
07-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #84
Pentaxian

I don't think it is an IR receiver. On the black model I see a matte finish.
07-31-2014, 01:24 PM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I think it's just a grip-button, that enables you to hold the camera with the middle finger.

Otherwise, Pentax seems to be declining it's Q serie as Nikon with it' 1 products.
I see this new commer as a low cost / girl targetted version of Q-7.
Some kind of "reaction" to the recent Samsung NX Mini.
I agree that this appears to be a low cost version of the Q system rather than an upgrade to the Q7. I hope we're wrong because I want to upgrade my original Q to something with the bigger sensor (Q7 has a 1/1.7" but i would love a 2/3" if it fits) but more importantly, a higher resolution screen. Probably because I'm spoiled with looking at a hi res smartphone all day...
07-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Behold, the return of the PC flash sync port!
or
XLR audio input jack
or
this is where you refill the fuel cell.
07-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #87
Veteran Member

I suspect there's no sensor shift mechanism to lower costs. Updated digital (software) SR only.
Front knob, a GPS module? Whatever it is, it's completely un-ergonomic. That it is also un-labeled gives me cause for suspicion that it's a red herring added to the deliberately leaked photos to generate speculation and discussion.
Plastic construction. Quite ugly design. They got it right with the original Q, why change a winning shape???
07-31-2014, 04:39 PM   #88
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Still think it's a touch pad. You'd use it to change the AF point, navigate the settings menu and review pictures. It would be easier than shifting your hand positions to support the camera with your left hand and touching the screen with your right, which also obscures part of the screen while you finger is I'm front of it.
07-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #89

More photos.
07-31-2014, 11:39 PM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
Nothing more than those from Digital Camera Info already reported one dday ago.