Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2014, 04:51 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Not that you can actually compare the film medium to digital.
LOL you wrong (((:

08-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
How did we come to 4K video from Q2?

I specifically don't want 4K video or other bells and whistles that decrease battery life. What would draw me to Q system, in descending order:

* size
* ergonomy
* IQ
* battery life
* lens availability
* price
* video capability
* other stuff

More verbosely put, I want to have a camera that is small, I can use it quickly the way I want, takes (relatively) good pictures, can last (reasonably) long on a charge, can be tinkered with, and is not too expensive. Video capability is appreciated but not a deal-breaker.
I'll add one item to your list. I want a snappy response time. Although I love my Q the response time for everything from shutter button presses to control wheel clicks to camera menu button presses is S-L-O-W.
08-04-2014, 06:43 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I am still more excited about movies made in 1930s with "primitive" black & white film than today's rubbish produced in 4K, 8K or whatever.

"4K is the way to go" so the whiskers of our cats in 'The Cats' videos will be crisper.
Don't know. My wife is not a geek, nor prone to spend money, she doesn't know anything about TV thecnology but she came back 2 weeks ago saying "I have seen our future TV, image quality is just wow !" So if she thinks like the basic Customer, the difference in image quality is just so evident that there might be a lot of people thinking like her.
The good thing is that I'll have not to justify the expense of a 4kTV
08-04-2014, 07:02 AM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Don't know. My wife is not a geek, nor prone to spend money, she doesn't know anything about TV thecnology but she came back 2 weeks ago saying "I have seen our future TV, image quality is just wow !" So if she thinks like the basic Customer, the difference in image quality is just so evident that there might be a lot of people thinking like her.
IQ is wow with 4k content. I'm sure your cable company doesn't go further than 720 or 1080i.

08-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
IQ is wow with 4k content. I'm sure your cable company doesn't go further than 720 or 1080i.
HD streamed using a modern Roku or Amazon Fire device is much better than cable.
08-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote

I'm sure it looked great, but the question is at what distance for a given screen size.

CarltonBale.com

If you're shopping for a TV in the store from 2 feet away, the difference probably is quite apparent. I bought a 50" 720p set a couple years ago, because there was just no way I was going to sit >10 ft away from the thing to make 1080p worth it.
08-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #172
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
I bought a 50" 720p set a couple years ago, because there was just no way I was going to sit >10 ft away from the thing to make 1080p worth it.
Our viewing area is 7' from the screen. We thought we understood that a somewhat smaller screen size combined with higher resolution (for the viewing distance) offered the optimal experience, so we bought a smaller, higher res TV.

We bought a 40" 1080p TV and though now three years old it still feels quite current, especially when viewing true HD content..

08-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Who is willing to sacrifice SR for a slightly larger sensor on the Q system?
SR can be very helpful with telephoto, macro, and low light. On the other hand, a larger sensor can help with DR and noise performance, and it allows wider angles with existing focal lengths
The Ricoh GR has no SR and it's still a great camera. If a larger sensor could fit in the Q without SR - and the Q lenses could still cover the circle - it might be a cool idea to give Pentaxians a choice: A body line that continues development with the 1/1.7" sensor and SR, and a second body line without SR but with a larger sensor. Both would use the same lenses. Question: Would a bump up to a 2/3" sensor (al la Fuji's X compacts) make enough difference over the existing sensor? I'm think a one-inch sensor won't work. This only me thinking aloud here. It's looking to me like Ricoh is too conservative for this kind of thing. But I'd love to be proven wrong. Still, I still think a 2/3" sensor is as big as one could go, even without SR.

---------- Post added 08-04-14 at 12:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Our viewing area is 7' from the screen. We thought we understood that a somewhat smaller screen size combined with higher resolution (for the viewing distance) offered the optimal experience, so we bought a smaller, higher res TV.

We bought a 40" 1080p TV and though now three years old it still feels quite current, especially when viewing true HD content..
You did the right thing. A 40- or 42-inch screen is perfect for your viewing distance. Myself, I'm still running a 10-year old Panasonic 720p set. The set's IQ looks distinctly film-like which I enjoy very much. So, depending on the price of 4K sets going forward, it's possible I may skip 1080p entirely.

Last edited by Biro; 08-04-2014 at 09:23 AM.
08-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Who is willing to sacrifice SR for a slightly larger sensor on the Q system?
SR can be very helpful with telephoto, macro, and low light. On the other hand, a larger sensor can help with DR and noise performance, and it allows wider angles with existing focal lengths
What is the largest sensor that could fit in a Q body without sacrificing SR? (i.e., how much larger would, say, a 2/3" sensor be than a 1/1.7" sensor?)
08-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
What is the largest sensor that could fit in a Q body without sacrificing SR? (i.e., how much larger would, say, a 2/3" sensor be than a 1/1.7" sensor?)
2/3" might be possible with the current lens line up 0.66" or 0.58" isn't much different. For 1" Pentax would need new lenses. I don't think the difference between 0.66 en 0.58" makes enough difference for Pentax to change it. 1"with sr would be possible, maybe even m43. Without sr (and realigning the contacts) aps-c would just fit.
08-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #176
Forum Member

From B&H

From the B&H site:

Pentax Q-S1 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 5-15mm Lens

"Price not yet available"

Product Highlights:
  • 12.4MP 1/1.7" Backlit CMOS Sensor
  • Q Engine Image Processor
  • 3.0" 460k-Dot LCD Screen with AR Coating
  • Full HD Video Recording at 30 fps
  • Sensor-Shift-Type Shake Reduction
  • Sensitivity to ISO 12800
  • Full Resolution Shooting up to 5 fps
  • In-Camera RAW Processing & HDR Shooting
  • Smart Effects and Bokeh Control
  • Pentax 02 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 Standard Zoom

---------- Post added 2014-08-04 at 16:38 ----------

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1073683-REG/pentax_06909_q_s1_mirrorle...981&
08-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
From the B&H site:

Pentax Q-S1 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 5-15mm Lens

"Price not yet available"

Product Highlights:
  • 12.4MP 1/1.7" Backlit CMOS Sensor
  • Q Engine Image Processor
  • 3.0" 460k-Dot LCD Screen with AR Coating
  • Full HD Video Recording at 30 fps
  • Sensor-Shift-Type Shake Reduction
  • Sensitivity to ISO 12800
  • Full Resolution Shooting up to 5 fps
  • In-Camera RAW Processing & HDR Shooting
  • Smart Effects and Bokeh Control
  • Pentax 02 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 Standard Zoom

---------- Post added 2014-08-04 at 16:38 ----------

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1073683-REG/pentax_06909_q_s1_mirrorle...amp;KBID=6867&
OOPS! someone must have jumped the gun
QuoteQuote:
We’re sorry!

This page may have moved or is no longer available.

Please check the web address you entered to make sure it is correct.

Return to the B&H Homepage

Thank you for your understanding,
The B&H web team
08-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #178
Pentaxian

They will probably launch it before photokina when B&H is already putting pages on line. Albeit too early.

Last edited by D1N0; 08-04-2014 at 01:39 PM.
08-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #179
Veteran Member

I'm struggling to see how it's different from the Q7
08-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I'm struggling to see how it's different from the Q7

Does the Q7 go up to ISO 12k? Maybe the lower ISO settings will have less noise and more DR than before?