Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2009, 02:20 PM   #31
Inactive Account

I know there are several threads on this, but just wanted to comment on the program's usefulness. I just discovered a backfocus issue on my K10D and solved it with the debug menu. The only issue that remains is that I get focus-confirmation with manual lenses even though they're back-focused. So really the focus adjustment is a band-aid fix for autofocus lenses only.

- Andrew

02-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
I know there are several threads on this, but just wanted to comment on the program's usefulness. I just discovered a backfocus issue on my K10D and solved it with the debug menu. The only issue that remains is that I get focus-confirmation with manual lenses even though they're back-focused. So really the focus adjustment is a band-aid fix for autofocus lenses only.

- Andrew
... autofocus lens only.

Most likely you will find out that while one lens is AF focusing well now, your other lenses will FF from now on, this adjustment is valid for 1 lens.
02-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
I just did it for my 77Ltd, it has back focus, I added 120um ( + 120um) and it is spot on, once u done input that u can just quit out from the menu and it will save it in the camera, for only that lens., the 0 to 5 should be different lens profile where u can save up to 5 lens.
Hmm, 0 to 5 yields 6 numbers not 5. Are you sure it refers to lens profile?
02-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #34
Inactive Account

So I suppose the best solution would be a K20D or or wait for the K30D. Then I could profile multiple lenses.

Ideally I would like to fix the root cause which is causing ALL my lenses to be out, including manual. That would require me to be apart from my baby for "6 to 8 weeks". Aiyee!

- Andrew

02-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
So I suppose the best solution would be a K20D or or wait for the K30D. Then I could profile multiple lenses.

Ideally I would like to fix the root cause which is causing ALL my lenses to be out, including manual. That would require me to be apart from my baby for "6 to 8 weeks". Aiyee!

- Andrew
Send it to Pentax, people here say they do fix it. If you can't (don't want) keep the debug mode on all the time and type in correction for each lens when you change lenses.
This is want I was doing when I was using k10D. I memorized correction numbers needed for each lens and was typing corresponding adjustment number in every time I was changing the lens.
02-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #36

no different profiles...

Hello.

Yesterday I made some tweaking in the Debug menus, and to my experience I can say that the adjustment you make into the AF TEST --> Focus Correction settings is not linked to any camera/lens profile.

What you do in there is simply one correction for the sensor. So I could correct my BF problem with the 16-50mm f2,8, but this yelded to a little FF with my FA50mm f1,4. Hence, I had to go for a compromise I'm quite satisfied with...

Can anybody confirm that there's no multiple options, or am I getting the thing wrong?

Thanks for your help.
Claudio
02-11-2009, 03:46 AM   #37
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Re:

I can say that the extra AF Area Test are not related to individual profiles of the lens. When you set the AF Area Value and AF Calibration value, both values are saved. However I am not noticing any effect of setting the AF Area Value at all in my tests.

However I do notice that when I set the AF Area value to other than 0, 3 AF confirmations LEDs will light up when I focus the test chart instead of 1. (And this is when the camera is set to use the center AF point). Dont know what that means though, do any of the others notice this behaviour too?
02-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #38
Veteran Member

AF Area test means what AF sensors to use while you are testing AF in debug mode.
Both, vertical, horizontal, XOR.

02-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #39
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
AF Area test means what AF sensors to use while you are testing AF in debug mode.

So does that mean I can leave it to a value other than 0? Would the AF be more accurate then?
02-13-2009, 01:26 AM   #40
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
fucus area means you test whole area but by selecting 0-3 you can chose which parts of which sensors you are testing, read lower...

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff1101 Quote
I can say that the extra AF Area Test are not related to individual profiles of the lens. When you set the AF Area Value and AF Calibration value, both values are saved. However I am not noticing any effect of setting the AF Area Value at all in my tests.

However I do notice that when I set the AF Area value to other than 0, 3 AF confirmations LEDs will light up when I focus the test chart instead of 1. (And this is when the camera is set to use the center AF point). Dont know what that means though, do any of the others notice this behaviour too?
confirmed, I did test what 0-3 are for

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
BE CAREFUL I have used the software but have ended up with a permanent "Debug Mode" listing on my camera monitor with the Debug Mode menu items at the end of the Set Up listing on a separate page. Camera works fine in all modes and the Debug Menu items all work, but I can't get rid of the Debug Mode header.

Anyone else experience this or is there any way to get rid of the header.

I have reloaded 1.3 but to no avail. Is there an English language version of the software around?

David
QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
It is a known problem if using Vista, fails in trying to turn debug mode off. If you have access to XP, it will solve the problem.

Denis

these two are slightly misleading. there is a trick for Vista!
a) connect camera to PC and turn it on
b) install program
c) click button sequences to get you into debug
d) turn off camera and unplug it but DON'T exit the program!!!

when the program is still running it remembers! so when you connect the camera again it will turn the debug OFF just fine! If by chance somebody else turns the program off, then:
a) connect camera, turn it on
b) reinstal the program
c) click the sequences for camera to get out of debug

works like charm....

to 0-3 options in AF area test:
0 - tests both horizontal and vertical lilnes in single AF area
1 - couples TWO areas that are nearest to the focusing point! The lines on our AF areas are much bigger then the little red dots and some of them are overlaid! that means when you are focusing in this mode 1 using say top left AF point, and the contrast section of the pic goes horizontaly, the vertical line of top centre can register it too and will lighen up too! etc
2 - uses vertical lines of AF sensors only! (for some reason my central AF was unable to focus in this selection )
3 - uses horizontal lines only! f.e.: most left and right sensors which are vertical only won't be able to fucus

BR
02-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
fucus area means you test whole area but by selecting 0-3 you can chose which parts of which sensors you are testing, read lower...

And I've said the same. May be my english wasn't very clear. :ugh:
03-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #42

Enabling it WITHOUT usb activation

Hi, folks. I may come a bit late to the party, but I thought you might be interested in knowing that the folks over at Pentax Hack have deciphered the firmware of the Pentax and Samsung cameras.

It is now possible (without firmware modification) to update lots of parameters on your Pentax or Samsung without using this penta-club.ru program. All you need to do is make a text file MODSET.xx with various commands. I have writting a short sum up of how to enable and disable the debug mode on my Samsung GX-10. You can read more about it here, or just go straight to the source
03-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #43
Forum Member

I've used the program fatso83 is talking about. Works like a charm, very easy to use! And it's always on the card. It's almost possible to change the values "on the fly". (This was on a GX-10 btw)
cheers
doug
06-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
You need to disable the debug mode, see attachment
1. click 'connect camera'
2. click 'disable debug mode'
3. click 'confirm'
4. turn off camera and turn back on.
done.
hi,
I have the debug mode on my camera now - how do I switch it off ? is it possible to switch it off and on and leave it on the camera ?
thanks !
M