Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,723
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Next stop - pallets in Costco/ASDA/WalMart/SAMs..etc.
Everything is about getting a large installed base of Q-mounts (and k-mounts) into the market. If the installed base is large enough there's a market for accessories and licensed third-party products, but until there's a large installed base the List Price of an accessory makes selling it impossible.

Recall one objection to the original, magnesium alloy body Q was its price - then Pentax had the brand-killing experience of endless Q/02 kits on NewEgg for $199 (What a steal - I bought 4 of those deals all told and gave them as presents). How many posters on these threads are licking their chops waiting for NewEgg deals on the Q7?

I think enthusiasts have to tolerate mass-market iterations of Q-mount and K-mount cameras in order to have what we want in the premium line.

08-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,563
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Everything is about getting a large installed base of Q-mounts (and k-mounts) into the market. If the installed base is large enough there's a market for accessories and licensed third-party products, but until there's a large installed base the List Price of an accessory makes selling it impossible.

Recall one objection to the original, magnesium alloy body Q was its price - then Pentax had the brand-killing experience of endless Q/02 kits on NewEgg for $199 (What a steal - I bought 4 of those deals all told and gave them as presents). How many posters on these threads are licking their chops waiting for NewEgg deals on the Q7?

I think enthusiasts have to tolerate mass-market iterations of Q-mount and K-mount cameras in order to have what we want in the premium line.
I suppose.
When they fire-sale the Q7, I will probably pick one up.
I too bought 2 Q cameras when they were on fire sale.
Lately I picked up an MX-1 and am enjoying that.
As long as they keep putting Pentax on the camera, I'm a sucker.

Hmmm...maybe if we see more Ricoh on gear, I can break free of the cycle!!!

08-06-2014, 12:45 AM   #18
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,559
Is this a square crop mode? If so this is VERY nice IMO, even if only JPEG (RAW would be better, still)

QuoteQuote:
JPEG
[4:3]L:12M(4000x3000),M:7M(3072x2304),S:3M(1920x1440)
[3:2]L:10M(4000x2664),M:6M(3072x2048),S:2M(1920x1280)
[16:9]L:9M(4000x2248),M:5M(3072x1728),S:2M(1920x1080)
[1:1]L:9M(2992x2992),M:5M(2304x2304),S:2M(1440x1440)
08-06-2014, 02:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,029
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How many posters on these threads are licking their chops waiting for NewEgg deals on the Q7?
You got me

08-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Caat's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Photos: Albums
Posts: 920
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Is this a square crop mode? If so this is VERY nice IMO, even if only JPEG (RAW would be better, still)
Doesn't the Q almost do this anyway? Although if it's an actual JPEG setting versus the Q's effective 'auto-cropping' it could be more convenient I guess.
08-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
The Q7 manual has all the info you want to know, and I suspect it will see little change for the Q-s1.
The amount of control and options they have given to the photographer is astounding, almost like a little Pentax DSLR.
It is one of the reasons the Q series is so much fun.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/q7.pdf
08-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 440
Original Q zoom kit has been on Amaze-on at $199 for at least a couple of years (in black) - still available. It's obvious that Ricoh isn't investing much into the Q line, maybe they're waiting for the (ex Japan) market to warm up?
Really it does seem that Ricoh's main modus operandi is "makeover" as evidenced in the Q and DSLR lines for 3 years already. We shall find out in a few weeks, but this pattern does make one wonder what (if any) vision Ricoh has for the Pentax brand!?
08-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,252
Maybe Ricoh is gearing up for some Q lens releases in September? That would compliment the Q-S1 we're seeing now.

08-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,464
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Maybe Ricoh is gearing up for some Q lens releases in September? That would compliment the Q-S1 we're seeing now.
Telephoto Macro lens.
08-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member
devorama's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 638
If only they had announced this with a new wide prime for the Q system, I'd probably buy one. I had the original Q and loved it, but I wanted something like a 35mm FoV equivalent prime to walk around with. I think it's rather odd that we have an ultrawide zoom that fewer people are interested in, yet no wide prime.
08-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #26
Pentaxian
Cambo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 910
Pentax is doomed...

DOOMED!

Nice little camera, though.


Cheers,
Cameron
08-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,498
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
If only they had announced this with a new wide prime for the Q system, I'd probably buy one. I had the original Q and loved it, but I wanted something like a 35mm FoV equivalent prime to walk around with. I think it's rather odd that we have an ultrawide zoom that fewer people are interested in, yet no wide prime.
The 01 prime with the Q7 or Q-S1, isn't that what you want? Fast and wider.
thanks
barondla

---------- Post added 08-06-2014 at 11:54 PM ----------

RICOH IS DOOMED.
thanks
barondla
08-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,723
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

[/COLOR]RICOH IS DOOMED.
thanks
barondla
That's

RICOH IS DQQMED
08-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member
devorama's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 638
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The 01 prime with the Q7 or Q-S1, isn't that what you want? Fast and wider.
thanks
barondla
Yeah, that's close. I think that's about 39 or 40mm like. I think if I see a good sale on the Q7, I might jump. But I don't think the Q7 is sold with the 01 prime, right?
08-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MMVIII's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: EU
Posts: 350
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
If only they had announced this with a new wide prime for the Q system, I'd probably buy one. I had the original Q and loved it, but I wanted something like a 35mm FoV equivalent prime to walk around with. I think it's rather odd that we have an ultrawide zoom that fewer people are interested in, yet no wide prime.
Exactly. A wide prime is also on my list.
And scale this design up to K-mount with magnesium body and environmental sealings, maybe add a second dial...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
design, flu, pentax news, pentax rumors, production, q-s1, q7, sensor, slot, thanks, users
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new firmware for Q and Q10 and Q7 i_trax Pentax Q 25 03-14-2015 06:29 AM
Weird behavior of brand new Q7 - return? HenrikDK Pentax Q 14 09-29-2014 04:51 PM
Q lens equivalents for Q/Q10 vs Q7 Docrwm Pentax Q 41 06-27-2013 03:05 PM
Still on first production run? barondla Pentax Q 5 03-02-2012 07:18 PM
Super Takumar Production Run zx-m Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 06-02-2008 03:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top