Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Q-S1: a new production run of Q7

It seems fairly obvious that Q-S1 is basically a new production run of the Q7. Even more obvious is Ricoh's right to do that when the Q system has sold well and seems to fill a niche. Freshening up a product after a year or so is commonplace. The new design will no doubt get some new users into the Q-system, and surely Pentax knew that existing Q7 users were not going to be in the market for the Q-S1.

But . . . I would not have designed that new grip/IR sensor holder. I would have made that IR sensor window flush to the body, and below it put a short, narrow vertical rib like the grip on a Canon S-100. That would clean up the design considerably. Were it possible, I also would have changed-out the Q7's SD slot for the K-3's FLU card slot, and copied the K-3's FLU firmware (already developed) so Q-S1 could be controlled from a phone. I would be much more likely -- very much more -- to stash a small Q-cam somewhere to shoot remotely rather than the larger K-3. With those changes only, I think existing Q7 users might consider the Q-S1 more closely.

Another thing I would do is provide the ubiquitous hotshoe covers we all have so many of, and the plastic front of lens 01 in colors to match the leatherette.

Attached Images

Last edited by Marktax; 08-06-2014 at 12:25 PM.
08-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The whole aesthetics of Q-S1 seems to be bold an classy. I feel that's why they went with the knob. It gets attention even if it serves very little purpose. Although, I have to try it, but as grip it might actually work better than the little hump in the previous iteration. You can use the middle and ring fingers to clamp onto it (lightly) instead of trying to hold the camera like you would with a regular dslr which is what the hump was designed for. It certainly would reduce the rotational movement when trying to press the shutter.
08-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Were it possible, I also would have changed-out the Q7's SD slot for the K-3's FLU card slot, and copied the K-3's FLU firmware (already developed) so Q-S1 could be controlled from a phone.
Add a better LCD and maybe there will be a Q5. As it is, the Q-S1 is a better Instagram device than a mere phone cam.
08-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter

It's a good-looking camera. But I'm a bit disappointed that it's essentially just a restyling of the Q7. And if they didn't add an EVF, I'm sincerely wondering why we didn't get a better rear LCD. Where's the 1,230,000-dot screen with White Magic pixels like the Ricoh GR? At least make working without a viewfinder a better proposition. And the White Magic technology could help coax some more life out of the tiny battery.

08-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Alas, it isn't inside a magnesium-alloy shell like the original Q that it harkens back to.
Meh, at least we can enjoy the closeout sales on the identical Q7!
08-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
at least we can enjoy the closeout sales on the identical Q7!
I'm with you on this one, Now I may just replace my Q7 body (with burned LCD) rather than cannibalize one of my Orig Q's for it's LCD assuming the price drops enough. Currently at $326 needs to come down more
08-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Meh, at least we can enjoy the closeout sales on the identical Q7!

I think this is one of the good things in it. The Q-system runs basicly on two models. The current new model and last years model on sale. That makes many people happy.
08-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't think that this counts as news or rumour. It's just an opinion.

08-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

1" sensor = Sony/Nikon killer.
08-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't think that this counts as news or rumour. It's just an opinion.
You're right. I wasn't paying attention to where I was when I posted it. Maybe Adam can move it to the Q-thread.
08-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If the q-s1 has color options for focus peaking, then that would at least be a worthy upgrade to some.
08-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter

This camera in a way makes sense (not to us enthusiasts though)

Compact cameras are like that.
The buying crowd for them are fickle and want something new each year.
Its low margin, high volume (in the case of the Q, just Japan volume)
Technology either does not move as fast or its not worth spending that much on it for a yearly cycle.
So instead, the camera is dressed up.

Q-S1 = "Q" - "Stylish" "1"
maybe we will also get a
Q-SR1 = "Q" "Serious" "1"
08-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
maybe we will also get a Q-SR1 = "Q" "Serious" "1"
Let's hope we don't get a

Q-SRSLY?
08-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
This camera in a way makes sense (not to us enthusiasts though)

Compact cameras are like that.
The buying crowd for them are fickle and want something new each year.
Its low margin, high volume (in the case of the Q, just Japan volume)
Technology either does not move as fast or its not worth spending that much on it for a yearly cycle.
So instead, the camera is dressed up.

Q-S1 = "Q" - "Stylish" "1"
maybe we will also get a
Q-SR1 = "Q" "Serious" "1"
I think is probably what they are planning to do and I think it makes perfect sense. When I look at Q users on this forum, they are clearly more serious that the average Q user in Japan. Remember that the Q is heavily promoted on TV and available in any electronics store in Japan. The people using it seem to be quite a broad mix of age and gender from my observation. For this audience cosmetic changes and a continued low price is probably as welcome as a spec bump.

On the other hand, there is also a smaller group of enthusiast users who care about the specs and are more likely to buy accessories like clip-on EVFs and lenses. I think Ricoh will eventually cater to this market too, because products like the 08 Wide Zoom and the K-Q adapter imply that they see the Pentax as a more serious system in the long term. My guess is that this camera will come as soon as a next generation sensor is available. The current sensor has been around for 2 years or more, so it's about time you would expect Sony to make a new one.
08-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I'm convinced that the Ricoh brain trust walks around the Pentax design division and looks at things the focus group rejected, and say "Hmmm...this little tidbit seems tasty...don't mind if I do".

Bingo. Another body/concept brought into production.

I can't say I blame them given the R&D it took to get prototypes into focus groups.
One of these days, we might see something innovative come from the Ricoh brain trust.

Between the K30 into the K50, and now the Q/Q10/Q7/QS1 I think Ricoh should ease off the "re-skin" bandwagon a bit.

Maybe with all the Q versions out there, Ricoh wants to be Nikon and flood the market with similar cameras that consumers can't tell apart!

Next stop - pallets in Costco/ASDA/WalMart/SAMs..etc.