Yes 1111.70%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Official - A Poll. Do YOU have hot Pixels

Ok. I will start.

NO My K20D does NOT have Hot pixels.

I find it interesting that everyone has been using the K20D for months now and apart from one reviewer in Europe NO-ONE had reported hot pixels.

Now another reviewer has reported Hot Pixels. or is that "Hot pixles JUST"

So apart from these two reviewers, how many of us with the K20D actually have this issue or is it an over inflated panic attack and the sky is falling again...again.

PK

05-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Since you're staying in Sudan, I expect all your pixels to be hot....

- Bert
05-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
PFH
Veteran Member

I havenīt noted any hot pixels in my K20D.
05-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
baw

Every K20D almost certainly will have hot pixels. They have been re-mapped. The hot pixel re-mapping is a good feature of the K20D, not seen in other DSLR's afaik.

05-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Reference required

Maybe, you should have included a reference to the thread why you started this poll.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/26955-officially-emerg...-dpreview.html

In this thread, it was recommended to wait with the poll until circumstances which hot pixels can be observed under have been clarified, too.

So, what are you doing?
05-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Inactive Account

No, I don't have a K20D with hot pixels.

That's because I've got a K100D with hot pixels.
05-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You are jumping the gun

If you ask the question at all it should be "Do you have random hot pixels when using live view". This seems to be a LV problem if it is real.

Ken

05-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smells Fishy

A few K100D, but no K20D hot pixels observed by me.

Until the test used can be fully described and the results consistently replicated by a layman (me), I consider the results bogus. Their so called 'proof' is a file that has no EXIF data (per PhotoME) so I can't tell if the image was actually created by a K20D. Who are the authors of this 'review' and what are their creds? Again, smells kinda fishy... DYT?
05-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #9

I have no idea. My raw converter takes care off those hotpixels I may og may not have.
So quite frankly I could not care less

Last edited by Fototim; 05-08-2008 at 04:27 PM.
05-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

No Hot Pixels on mine

I haven't seen any hot pixels at all. Maybe it's because I disabled this live view right after I took it out of the box.
I have been using the viewfinder for composing and DOF preview on SLRs for 30 years. If I wanted to look at an LCD screen to compose my images I would have bought a P&S camera.
05-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
If you ask the question at all . . . . .
Ken
You're right on, Ken. We have a few ancedotal observations of something that's been described as "hot pixels" in some tested examples. We've (of course) got a few anecdotal experiences that report the K20D to be free of "hot pixels".

Frankly, we need a great deal more data before we give this issue any thought at all. Remember, just because "hot pixels" show up on a few examples doesn't dictate that all of the cameras will behave similarly. By the same token, just because some people don't see "hot pixels" in the examples they have in hand doesn't preclude that some bodies won't exhibit the phenomenon. Indeed, the "hot pixels" may be an artifact of some software/firmware incompatibility or it may mean that some of the Samsung senors are defective. There's just no way know at this stage.

So I suggest we don't waste a whole lot of electrons (or anguished neurons) on this issue until we have enough data to make sense of it.

Jer
05-09-2008, 03:52 AM   #12

Original Poster
To me a Hot pixels is a hot pixel. I have had two other DSLRs and I know what they look like.

I bought the camera to take pictures, if it does and I don't get hot pixels then I am happy.

I do get disturbed when you get rumours of issues and to achieve the issue talked about in the rumour you have to turn on the camera for 45mins at ISO3200 under exposed by 2 stops using a DA* lens on a tripod with SR off and using Tungtsan white balance, then processed via Lightroom and push the curves way up or some other stupid set of ludicrous circumstances to replicate this problem.

I think if there was a production problem with the sensor/camera, I think we as a group of Pentax users, using our cameras in all circumstances would have found it, but it seems only two reviewers have, and suddenly it is Officially emerging. I find that interesting.

Sorry for the rant. Flame me!!!
05-09-2008, 05:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Pentax probably did not pay dpreview enough for advertising. I got no pixels whatsoever
05-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Pentax probably did not pay dpreview enough for advertising. I got no pixels whatsoever
Hmmm. If you're not getting any pixels, you should probably exchange the camera for another one right away.
05-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peacekeeper Quote
Sorry for the rant. Flame me!!!
I'm certainly not going to flame you but express a different point of view. Forums like this offer us an opportunity to participate in the sort of discussion that goes on at a well run company when analyzing a product. The golden rule at that sort of meeting is absolute openness and honesty. You don't know where you stand unless all the warts are revealed.

We as a group of owners of Pentax gear should look at this as an opportunity to share information, good and bad, so we can make more informed decisions. Both fanboys and antagonists are a detriment to that end. All products have limitations. If we are aware of them a more intelligent buying decision can be made. The 16-50 lens is a good example. Once you know all the possible problems and you still decide to buy you have nothing to complain about when or if those known problems surface.

If there are hot pixels when using LV and pushing the exposure 3 stops 99.9% of us would say so what. That might be the limitations of the sensor and we should be aware of it. I finally got an example of VPN with my K10D after some 7,000 photos and was able to say so that's what it looks like and this is how far I can push it before it becomes a problem.

To borrow a phrase from my least favorite news source, "Fair and balanced", posts in regards to equipment do more for us than the ones with an agenda.

Regards,

Ken