Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice job!

08-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Here's a book review on line!

I was pleased today to become aware of an on-line book review featured on Gunblast.com! There's a videotaped review, and a number of pictures of pages in the book. Again, the book is 100% illustrated with pictures taken by me with Pentax K-5 and K-3 cameras. I hope this puts to rest any supposition that only Nikon and Canon make professional-level cameras!

If you are interested in what was said about the book, you can tune in here:

Highly Recommended Reading: "101 Classic Firearms" by John Marshall

John
08-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on this great effort, kudos!
08-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I was pleased today to become aware of an on-line book review featured on Gunblast.com! There's a videotaped review, and a number of pictures of pages in the book. Again, the book is 100% illustrated with pictures taken by me with Pentax K-5 and K-3 cameras. I hope this puts to rest any supposition that only Nikon and Canon make professional-level cameras!

If you are interested in what was said about the book, you can tune in here:

Highly Recommended Reading: "101 Classic Firearms" by John Marshall

John
I like Jeff at Gunblast. That is some good exposure.

08-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #20

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Well done, it looks like a magnificent book.
08-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

...Most of the subjects were placed on the white background - countertop material obtained from Home Depot - and photographed in the shade from a sturdy tripod in my back yard. All exposure adjustments in-camera were completely manual to get the best control over the final result. ... Interestingly, the cover "group" pictures had to be shot from the roof of my house with my K-3 to get the right field of view and resolution. Both front and back covers were actually from one all-inclusive shot, to be sure the color of the background bricks matched.
I think that this is a great description of creativity and ingenuity! White counter top material from Home Depot ... photographed in the shade from a sturdy tripod in my back yard ... cover "group" pictures had to be shot from the roof of my house..... No fancy studio, special lighting, etc. That seems to be somewhat of a common trait with Pentax photographers.

The bottom line is the results are exceptional and very effective!

08-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everything's been said already, but I'll say congrats on the book & nice photography!

08-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Congratulations!
08-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I think that this is a great description of creativity and ingenuity! White counter top material from Home Depot ... photographed in the shade from a sturdy tripod in my back yard ... cover "group" pictures had to be shot from the roof of my house..... No fancy studio, special lighting, etc. That seems to be somewhat of a common trait with Pentax photographers.

The bottom line is the results are exceptional and very effective!

Agreed. A brilliant exercise in lateral thinking. Congratulations Jim you are an inspiration. Hopefully it'll sell like hot cakes.

As far as not using Pentax for pro use etc: A few days ago I bought a cheap light-tent because I have a lot of stuff I want to sell on eBay and my usual desktop setup - a piece of paper bent up against my monitor to use as a cyclorama, along with two cheap reading lights - was just too inconvenient to set up for 100's of shots. When I saw the quality of the shots taken with my K-5 and DA*55 I was shocked at just how good they were. My K-01 was the test dummy and never looked so good.
08-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I'm proud to announce that a book I've authored, "101 Classic Firearms," which is illustrated with photos taken exclusively with Pentax cameras (mostly K-5), is now available for sale. It covers firearms development from 1855 to 1991, with coverage of 101 individual firearms, and hi-rez photos of each. If you are interested in guns as well as Pentax cameras, you might be interested. These also make great gifts. Available on-line at dillonprecision.com, stock number 40133.

John
PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

John,
I love guns and Pentax. You have a very nice collection of firearms there. The photos are very well done. Good luck on sales!
Steve
08-15-2014, 06:15 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Beautiful photos for the book.
Thanks for the description of the lighting used and insight into the process of printing a book.

I do appreciate the guns but it's the death penalty for possession here.
Handled only military stuff here during military service. (Assault rifles, MG, 0.5, others)
08-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Very nice I will show this to someone who loves books on such things, be is also one of the top coin collector/experts in the US. I always wanted to illustrate a book, nicely done.
08-27-2014, 01:12 AM   #28

Photos: Albums
Gratulacje!
I... zastrzeliłeś mnie!

And... you shot me down!

You are nominated to see:

BANG! BANG!

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
When I saw the quality of the shots taken with my K-5 and DA*55 I was shocked at just how good they were.
You hit the bull's eye!
Trafiłeś w sam środek tarczy!

Last edited by romeck; 08-27-2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: adding
08-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I too would like to add my congradulations to a job well done.

Tying in your announcment with some other threads on this forum I could not help noticing the variety of sizes and shapes of the grips on the guns.

I cound never use the method of shooting from my roof top as it is too high and way too steep but also I would never had thought of doing it. Again well done.
09-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just saw this. Nice job. congratulations on the publication. High praise from Mr. Ball too. Shooting a firearm or a camera both require a lot of the same skill sets. I find shooting both very relaxing. To do it well, you have to compose yourself, clear your mind of clutter, control you breathing and heart rate first. Almost like meditating to me. Very relaxing. I would bet that a person who is a good photographer would also be pretty handy with a rifle.

For what it's worth, I used to collect older firearms but have sold most of them now as I near retirement but the M41 Johnson on your rear cover would be my holy grail if I could find one for less than the cost of 5 K3's. My father in law was involved in testing them when he was in the Marines prior to WWII. He thought it was a superior weapon compared to the Garand. From a mechanical point of view they are very interesting.