Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2014, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New book illustrated with Pentax photos

I'm proud to announce that a book I've authored, "101 Classic Firearms," which is illustrated with photos taken exclusively with Pentax cameras (mostly K-5), is now available for sale. It covers firearms development from 1855 to 1991, with coverage of 101 individual firearms, and hi-rez photos of each. If you are interested in guns as well as Pentax cameras, you might be interested. These also make great gifts. Available on-line at dillonprecision.com, stock number 40133.

John
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/paladin

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 08-07-2014 at 08:45 AM.
08-06-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job!!

I hate guns but I do like the fact that this book is illustrated with photos taken with a Pentax camera ... and the said photos sure look good too!

Cheers!
08-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful! My dad collected antique rifles and revolvers; Remington was the company he loved the best. He did all sorts of restoration and he made functional replicas of all kinds. Even fooled the experts at gun shows! Since he's passed away, they're all just sitting in the safes in his shop. I should get them out and do some Pentax/firearm photo shoots, myself! ^_^ Thanks very much for sharing. I don't support anyone shooting anyone else, but the images remind me of my dad, and that's cool.
08-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done, I hope you sell a lot of them. You'll have to hit the gun show circuit.

08-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
Banned

Great job done. We are not so into guns overhere (in general).
08-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #6

You and K-5 did a very good job! Congratulations!
08-07-2014, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oy. Here we go.

08-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oy. Here we go.
... let's see how far this thread will go !
08-07-2014, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
... let's see how far this thread will go !
It will go as far as any other thread. People who can't exercise self restraint and keep the conversation about the OP's achievement and the photography rather than interjecting their personal political/religious views regarding the subject matter won't be participating.

(That's a strong hint, folks )

Last edited by Parallax; 08-07-2014 at 07:50 AM.
08-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It will go as far as any other thread as long as people exercise self restraint and keep the conversation about the OP's achievement and the photography rather than interjecting their personal political/religious/moral views on the subject matter.

(That's a strong hint, folks )
Jim, do us all a favor and close it now, by the time I'm back from getting the popcorn and something to drink, it'll all over in any case
08-07-2014, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Might just get the book for myself.
08-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Well done, I hope you sell a lot of them. You'll have to hit the gun show circuit.
Not necessarily. Amazon and a few other outlets would work fairly well.
08-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm curious to know what kind of post processing had to be done for book publication. Anything special to accommodate the printing process?
08-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nicely shot, and looks a great publication, regardless of the content. You have achieved a very professional result, and they say that one cannot do professional photos without a nikon or canon camera.
08-07-2014, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'm curious to know what kind of post processing had to be done for book publication. Anything special to accommodate the printing process?
Just the usual post-processing adjustments - color balance, saturation, exposure adjustment, contrast, some slight sharpening and then cropping and resizing to the proper dimensions for insertion on a specific page, given the text arrangement. Most of the photos of the specific subjects in the book were taken against a white background, so it was a minor challenge to adjust the color balance and the intensity of the white background to match the white page color. The object was to isolate the subject on the white page, with just a trace of shadow to give the subject some depth. In each case a "proof" of the page was generated to be sure everything looked right. Most of the subjects were placed on the white background - countertop material obtained from Home Depot - and photographed in the shade from a sturdy tripod in my back yard. All exposure adjustments in-camera were completely manual to get the best control over the final result. The post-processing was basically just fine tuning from there. Interestingly, the cover "group" pictures had to be shot from the roof of my house with my K-3 to get the right field of view and resolution. Both front and back covers were actually from one all-inclusive shot, to be sure the color of the background bricks matched.

The research, writing and picture taking spanned over 10 years to produce this book - and I had a great editor who was skilled in composition and layout.

Hope this helps.

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 08-07-2014 at 02:49 PM.