Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
Mitsubishi, which is making nuclear plants, has already been sick and tired of nightmare since a big earthquake hit a few years back.
The reference was to an earlier post by a member describing Pentax marketing as a stuffy old man of 62 who doesn't get it. The Yamamoto reference was to imply Nikon has awakened Ricoh.

08-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The reference was to an earlier post by a member describing Pentax marketing as a stuffy old man of 62 who doesn't get it. The Yamamoto reference was to imply Nikon has awakened Ricoh.
And my reference to Mitsubishi building Zeros was just a lame attempt at humor. I'm sure Mitsubishi made much more money making parts for bad Chrysler products than they ever did during the 1940s.
08-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #33

Well, my reference is only an annotation. Just a small annotation regarding to Japan's economic history.
08-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I got a CowBox 486-66 for about $3500 :-( With a 15" monitor.
I got a Pentium 120MHz, 16MB back in the Summer of 95. Hell of a toy, also used it to make some cash. It was also like $3500 with a 17" Trinitron monitor that was pretty gosh-darn awesome.

It was a heckuva lotta money for me at the time. I was pacing for days before purchasing.

08-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
Well, my reference is only an annotation. Just a small annotation regarding to Japan's economic history.
And a welcome one. Now I know who made my Subaru.... ;-)
08-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I used to design and program animations on a 286 using MS-DOS and a program called GRASP. We had 16 colors at our disposal, couldn't depend on playback devices to haven more than 512KB resident memory, and delivered the animation on floppy disk.

What are we talking about again?
08-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If PCMag determines that Canon "wins" over Pentax, they should explain why
The lower score is probably due to the high return/repair rate for the Pentax cameras. I suspect that many of the survey participants were K-5 owners.

Steve

---------- Post added 08-10-14 at 07:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
We beat Sony and Olympus.

'nuff said.
And you expected less?

Steve

08-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #38
mee
Veteran Member

I can't speak for him, but I did.
08-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Do you really care?
Going by the results shown, Pentax should have placed third as it did. We're talking a difference of a few percentage points, but Pentax clearly lost in the "would you recommend it to someone else" category as well as the highest percentage of trips to the shop for repairs. I doubt those two are unrelated.

Also as far as recommending, I always have to tell people "If you don't mind having to send away for it..." when mentioning my camera if people ask. Joe User is *MUCH* more likely to pick his camera up at Best Buy or whatever big box store is convenient then want to send away for his gear.

Until Pentax learns to promote themselves properly, they're never going to win any of these kinds of polls.
08-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's be serious about this: there's only a bee's whatnot between the first three, and four and five aren't far behind. So, in spite of what some of our fellow Pentax shooters think, the incidence of faults in their cameras is similar to those of the big two.

Still, something must be wrong with the poll, because Sony's behind Pentax...
08-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Nice! We'll take that.
08-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #42
Forum Member

PC Mag was and always will be the red-headed step-child compared Byte Magazine. Back then it had the worst most biased reviews and it was a rare day when an article actually resulted in real info being imparted to the reader. Today they have even worse articles generally written by people who have no business evaluating tech let alone making recommendations. I remember a recent article, maybe 18-months back where they reviewers paid more attention to the IR remote control feature of the Samsung Note 8.0 and blew off the real selling point, the active stylus which as many here know makes the beastie actually useful. But the two reviewers actually took points off for the active stylus ability but gave it perks for the IR remote feature. I guessed a $400 remote control is far more important than using a device to accomplish something.

Still PC Mag was still better than PC World...YIKES!! A shame we lost Byte Mag which was for a long time the place to go for real tech evaluations which were very non-biased. ANd Jerry Pournelle's monthly column, Chaos Manor, was worth the price of admission all by itself.

So no surprise they slant their ratings to the big money advertisers, even Computer Shopper was full of great articles and a monthly source book for gear, best of both worlds, then again I am talking the early/mid-to-late 80's through the late 90s...
08-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I still have a stack of old "Computer Shopper" magazines in my parents' basement. Sure is a walk down memory lane anytime I flip through them. And the Gateway ads always made me drool.
08-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could someone explain me what a PC has to do with photography ?
08-19-2014, 12:47 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Could someone explain me what a PC has to do with photography ?
try doing professional level digital photography without a computer...enough said.