Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Could someone explain me what a PC has to do with photography ?
That's a strange thing to say.

08-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could someone explain me what a PC has to do with photography ?
I assume you are posting this from your camera.
08-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I assume you are posting this from your camera.
No. I'm photographing from my PC's camera

---------- Post added 19-08-14 at 19:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
try doing professional level digital photography without a computer...enough said.
So for you a computer magazine is fully entitled to test cameras...

Last edited by fs999; 08-20-2014 at 12:13 AM. Reason: forgot "is"...
08-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dare say a modern dSLR is a significantly more powerful computer than the last PC I ordered from a PC Mag advertiser.

08-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I dare say a modern dSLR is a significantly more powerful computer than the last PC I ordered from a PC Mag advertiser.
Sure but most of the time, reviewing a PC is a lot more about objectivity and benchmarks numbers (not only, but mostly).
A camera, it is something completely different (IMO).
08-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I bought a Gateway Pentium 120. PCMag said it was the best!

It was like this, but I got the tower case.

Gateway 2000 P5-120 | ancientelectronics
08-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sure but most of the time, reviewing a PC is a lot more about objectivity and benchmarks numbers (not only, but mostly).
A camera, it is something completely different (IMO).
On another thread someone lamented that these days (both print and online) lens ratings are all about sharpness, distortion and CA's, (which can be objectively measured, sorted, ranked and scored). Few reviewers write about rendering, focus transition or microcontrast.

Given that everything that happens after photons come out the ass end of a lens is a binary encoded emulation of the image projection I'll suggest the contrary is actually closer to the truth; a camera is closer to a computer than we are willing to admit.

08-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
On another thread someone lamented that these days (both print and online) lens ratings are all about sharpness, distortion and CA's, (which can be objectively measured, sorted, ranked and scored). Few reviewers write about rendering, focus transition or microcontrast.

Given that everything that happens after photons come out the ass end of a lens is a binary encoded emulation of the image projection I'll suggest the contrary is actually closer to the truth; a camera is closer to a computer than we are willing to admit.
Internally of course it is. The use is different though, and what matters a lot in a case, matters a lot less in the other case.
BTW the computer analogy can be applied (somewhat) to cars too and will a lot more in the future.
08-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ I'm not really disagreeing with you - mine is more a lament on the modern condition. We measure and rank everything because computational power is cheap. It has become the fashion to judge 'Best' by highest objective score rather than on more aesthetic, subjective criteria. I suppose I could flog the metaphor but what's the point of that? Your assertion is as good as mine.
08-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I bought a Gateway Pentium 120. PCMag said it was the best!

It was like this, but I got the tower case.

Gateway 2000 P5-120 | ancientelectronics
Looking at the ad -they show a prairie dog as well as the black and white cow - in July 1996: the P5-120 Family Pc went for $1899. 16MB RAM, 850MB hard drive, 1MB graphics board, 8x CD-ROM & Diskette combo drive, Gateway sound card, Altec Lansing speakers, 28.8 Fax/Modem, Crystal Scan 15" monitor, 7 bay mini tower, keyboard, mouse, Win 95.

Product of the year? Netscape Navigator. Business Computer? Gateway 2000. Home Computer? Gateway 2000. Best online service? AOL. Web Site? Yahoo. ISP? Netcom. Fax-Modem? US Robotics Sportster 28.8

This was PC World July 1996

Maybe what this shows is that overpriced junk is overpriced junk regardless... or that to maintain position, advertising is king... Or let's face it, Canon and Nikon are the Dell and Gateway of the era... if Pentax is doomed, it is the Quantex... or Micron...
08-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #56
Veteran Member

So for you a computer magazine fully entitled to test cameras...
I see the point your were trying to make now. I suppose the two industries do converge at some places, but I would not look at a camera review in a computer magazine as the last word on the camera in question. But more exposure is always a good thing.

The reminds me of the way that Pentax originally caught my attention. I was reading a general tech news site that focuses heavily on computers (dailytech.com) and they had an article about the new Pentax K-x. The colors and styling caught my attention, as well as the tech specs that were mentioned in the article. Here's a link to the article from 2009:

http://www.dailytech.com/Pentax+Announces+Affordable+Kx+DSLR/article16272.htm

If you scroll down a bit, you can even see where I made a positive comment (user name 'Indianapolis') about the camera and vented about how crappy point & shoot cameras were for indoors/low light photography.

At the time I had no idea that I would became a 'Pentaxian', but without that one article, there is a good chance that Pentax would not have gotten my attention. The new Canon T2i was all the rage at the time I was upgrading from my Olympus e-510, and I briefly bought and owned a T2i before selling it and buy the K-x.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 08-19-2014 at 11:57 AM.
08-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Looking at the ad -they show a prairie dog as well as the black and white cow - in July 1996: the P5-120 Family Pc went for $1899. 16MB RAM, 850MB hard drive, 1MB graphics board, 8x CD-ROM & Diskette combo drive, Gateway sound card, Altec Lansing speakers, 28.8 Fax/Modem, Crystal Scan 15" monitor, 7 bay mini tower, keyboard, mouse, Win 95.

Product of the year? Netscape Navigator. Business Computer? Gateway 2000. Home Computer? Gateway 2000. Best online service? AOL. Web Site? Yahoo. ISP? Netcom. Fax-Modem? US Robotics Sportster 28.8

This was PC World July 1996

Maybe what this shows is that overpriced junk is overpriced junk regardless... or that to maintain position, advertising is king... Or let's face it, Canon and Nikon are the Dell and Gateway of the era... if Pentax is doomed, it is the Quantex... or Micron...

I got the 16MB RAM, 1 GB hard drive. I thought I had 2 MB graphics but it might've been 1 MB. 4X CD-ROM. No sound card. 14.4 Modem, although I might've added that myself. ViewSonic 17" Monitor. Full Tower. Keyboard, Mouse, Windows 3.11 with a free downgrade to Windows 95.
08-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #58

I forgot, I did have a Micron computer at one time (I guess I was always of the Pentax-like mold ). I also had an Atari-ST, Zeos, and Commodore 64 over the years. Ironically, I presently have a Gateway laptop from 2009 which I bought for a very good price from Circuit City. It's actually a decent laptop, I still use everyday.

The Atari-ST and Commodore Amiga were great for their time, and were more advanced and innovative than the IBM clones in that era. Who won out though?!?
08-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
The Atari-ST and Commodore Amiga were great for their time, and were more advanced and innovative than the IBM clones in that era. Who won out though?!?
Perhaps if Jack Tramiel hadn't been the Anti-Steve Jobs things would have been different. I've always found it ironic that the Amiga was designed by ex-Atari engineers and it's development was funded by Atari while the ST was designed by ex-Commodore engineers who follwed Tramiel to Atari.
08-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Perhaps if Jack Tramiel hadn't been the Anti-Steve Jobs things would have been different. I've always found it ironic that the Amiga was designed by ex-Atari engineers and it's development was funded by Atari while the ST was designed by ex-Commodore engineers who follwed Tramiel to Atari.
Mrs. ElJamoquio's father worked for Jack Tramiel. He has a couple of stories...