Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #196
Veteran Member

I think Pentax needs an FF option.

Also I think they need to make all of their DSLRs grip capable. The fact that you can't put a grip on a K-50 is baffling. In Canon land, you can put a grip on a Rebel T2/3/4/5i. Those cameras don't hold a candle to even a K-50. It just doesn't make a lot of sense for the K-50 to not take a grip.

08-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #197
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much more money would you pay for, or which features would you omit from the K-50 to make it grip-capable. At this price point Pentax must make choices and they've chosen other features.
08-17-2014, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How much more money would you pay for, or which features would you omit from the K-50 to make it grip-capable. At this price point Pentax must make choices and they've chosen other features.
Well I think the K500 is fine without grip capability, but I just feel like the K-50 is in a DSLR segment where a grip is a no brainer. As I said, even the low end Canon DSLRs are grip capable, so why not the K-50? I can't imagine it would cost That much more to make it grip capable... Even if it's a $50 price increase, it's well worth it, but that's just me.
08-17-2014, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #199
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Well I think the K500 is fine without grip capability, but I just feel like the K-50 is in a DSLR segment where a grip is a no brainer. As I said, even the low end Canon DSLRs are grip capable, so why not the K-50? I can't imagine it would cost That much more to make it grip capable... Even if it's a $50 price increase, it's well worth it, but that's just me.
$50 is an 8% price increase from the B&H street price. That's a lot of money to force every single buyer to pay in order to accommodate the few consumers who would actually buy a mid-range camera and a $200 grip (assuming Pentax would use a base identical to the K-3). I wonder how many K-3 buyers actually buy the grip.

I think we often forget we already have a Canon and a Nikon. We don't need another Canon and Nikon. We shouldn't ask Pentax to be another Canon and Nikon.

Buying Pentax is a choice, a decision. I like the combination of features Pentax offers. Otherwise I would buy Nikon (I don't think I would ever buy a Canon).

08-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #200
Banned

Being grip capable won't sell any more K-50s. Grip is associated with more heavy duty, at least semi-pro use. And the K-50 is not made as a semi-pro camera in terms of its market position and marketing. It is everyday people's DSLR.
On the other hand, I had a grip with a K-7 and used it most fervently. Yet in the end, I found I can do equally well without it. 99% of users will never use grip, even with the K-3. But it must be available to keep the perception of a semi-pro / pro camera for more heavy-duty use. And that's all.
08-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #201
Veteran Member

$50 is an 8% price increase from the B&H street price. That's a lot of money to force every single buyer to pay in order to accommodate the few consumers who would actually buy a mid-range camera and a $200 grip (assuming Pentax would use a base identical to the K-3). I wonder how many K-3 buyers actually buy the grip.

I think we often forget we already have a Canon and a Nikon. We don't need another Canon and Nikon. We shouldn't ask Pentax to be another Canon and Nikon.

Buying Pentax is a choice, a decision. I like the combination of features Pentax offers. Otherwise I would buy Nikon (I don't think I would ever buy a Canon).
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Being grip capable won't sell any more K-50s. Grip is associated with more heavy duty, at least semi-pro use. And the K-50 is not made as a semi-pro camera in terms of its market position and marketing. It is everyday people's DSLR.
On the other hand, I had a grip with a K-7 and used it most fervently. Yet in the end, I found I can do equally well without it. 99% of users will never use grip, even with the K-3. But it must be available to keep the perception of a semi-pro / pro camera for more heavy-duty use. And that's all.
I tend to disagree. If grips are meant for "semi-pro" use than why does every Canon/Nikon DSLR support a grip? A T3i and a D3100 are hardly semi-pro. They are in fact entry level, bottom of the barrel DSLRs.

Also I bet grip numbers are higher than you suggest.
08-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #202
Loyal Site Supporter

I tend to disagree. If grips are meant for "semi-pro" use than why does every Canon/Nikon DSLR support a grip? A T3i and a D3100 are hardly semi-pro. They are in fact entry level, bottom of the barrel DSLRs.

Also I bet grip numbers are higher than you suggest.
Actually, I've never seen a regular person with a grip attached to a dSLR. I've only seen one professional using a grip and that was a multi-hour outdoor engagement photo shoot. I think grips on consumer dSLR's are a marketing ploy to hook silly soccer moms. That Canon does what it does makes me think I'm right.

I have a grip on my K10D that I keep there because it is there. I really only take it off to charge the in-camera battery, and I only do that to keep it healthy. The grip battery is all I need. The K10D with a grip is one big honking camera! I thought it would be cool to have a grip on my camera in 2007. Now, if I saw me out in the wild with that grip on that camera I'd surely snicker at me. My K-3 is just about perfect in its native form.

I guess portrait shots are more comfortable with the grip so maybe people who intentionally shoot portrait a lot . . . . - I wish I could do an EXIF search to know what percent of my files are portrait, but it is a small number.

That's just me. I don't get out much.
08-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #203
Banned

We are writing about totally unimportant issues.
Instead of a grip option, it is far more usable for a future Pentax entry level DSLR to have the K-3's metering and AF capability. Bring metering and AF same, and comparable across the range, and who cares about grips.

08-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #204
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
I agree with philbaum, professionals have a history of buying what works for them, not "professional" cameras or "amateur" cameras, just cameras that deliver what they need to turn a buck and feed the family.

If pentax fix those areas professionals are asking for, namely tethering and wifi, they will buy.

Build it and they will come.
As I said, API. That would not just mean tethering, it would mean tethering far beyond competitors. Able to do as much as you'd ever dream of wanting to be able to do, and more. But Pentax execs seem to be against giving away full control... and have said no to APIs.

Otherwise I fully agree, though I would like to add video. Video that treats users of it as professionals. People that know what they are doing, and earn money with it. Don't treat video as an emergency feature, as something for consumers, ...

Yes, high end videographers may chose professional video gear for this purpose, but Pentax can offer a cost efficient alternative for those who need to do stills and video on a job. Or who want to offer their clients a better package.
08-18-2014, 02:47 AM   #205
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax did offer a grip for the K200 and I have to think it wasn't a particularly good seller. If you need a grip, you are better off getting a K5 series camera than a K30/K50. That's all there is to it. Price isn't that much different at this point if you buy used.

I think also, that Pentax uses grip as a way of differentiating their flagship camera from lower levels. If you offer everything in lower levels that you do in upper level cameras, you stop selling K5 II/K3s.
08-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #206
Veteran Member

Actually, I've never seen a regular person with a grip attached to a dSLR. I've only seen one professional using a grip and that was a multi-hour outdoor engagement photo shoot. I think grips on consumer dSLR's are a marketing ploy to hook silly soccer moms. That Canon does what it does makes me think I'm right.

I have a grip on my K10D that I keep there because it is there. I really only take it off to charge the in-camera battery, and I only do that to keep it healthy. The grip battery is all I need. The K10D with a grip is one big honking camera! I thought it would be cool to have a grip on my camera in 2007. Now, if I saw me out in the wild with that grip on that camera I'd surely snicker at me. My K-3 is just about perfect in its native form.

I guess portrait shots are more comfortable with the grip so maybe people who intentionally shoot portrait a lot . . . . - I wish I could do an EXIF search to know what percent of my files are portrait, but it is a small number.

That's just me. I don't get out much.
I like the grip for better handling and for the portrait shooting. I doubt i'll ever find myself in a situation where I actually need the extra Battery from the grip, it's really just about improved handling and when I noticed for me that I was shooting a fair # of portrait shots in anything that i've done.

I don't think that shooting lots of portraits makes someone a semi-pro photographer which should require them to buy a K-5 series DSLR. Even the K-50 is more camera than some of us could properly use
08-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #207
Pentaxian

I like the grip for better handling and for the portrait shooting. I doubt i'll ever find myself in a situation where I actually need the extra Battery from the grip, it's really just about improved handling and when I noticed for me that I was shooting a fair # of portrait shots in anything that i've done.

I don't think that shooting lots of portraits makes someone a semi-pro photographer which should require them to buy a K-5 series DSLR. Even the K-50 is more camera than some of us could properly use
We can all accept that you want a grip but can you tell us how many non-professional photographers (with non-pro gear) have you seen using a grip?
08-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #208
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax did offer a grip for the K200 and I have to think it wasn't a particularly good seller
That's a good supposition. The grip for the K200D is still being sold new by B & H for $90, despite the fact that the camera it connects to went out of production five years ago. Worse, there are but three reviews for it! (There are 92 reviews for the K-5 grip.) In 2009, I bought the K200D grip from keh.com for $30. A few years later, I bought the K-5 grip from keh.com for $170 (at the time, the grip sold new for $200). The low used price of the K200D grip, along with the fact that Pentax still has not sold off their stock, suggests low demand. I suspect the reason why we've seen no grip for the K-50 or K-30 is that the grip for K200D sold quite poorly.
08-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #209
Pentaxian

How about a wifi button and articulating lcd for the next advance dslr?
08-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
How about a wifi button and articulating lcd for the next advance dslr?
What do you want the 'wifi' button to do?