Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #211
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
Well I think the K500 is fine without grip capability, but I just feel like the K-50 is in a DSLR segment where a grip is a no brainer. As I said, even the low end Canon DSLRs are grip capable, so why not the K-50? I can't imagine it would cost That much more to make it grip capable... Even if it's a $50 price increase, it's well worth it, but that's just me.
Grips at the K-50 price point make no sense. I almost never see a Canon grip on anything less than a pro-level camera. Price increases drive away far more consumers than a grip at this price point would attract.

08-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #212
Pentaxian

But if you don't have a huge looking camera, then you don't look like a pro photographer! K50 owners deserve the option of making everyone believe they are professional, don't they?
08-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
K50 owners deserve the option of making everyone believe they are professional, don't they?
A Canon sticker would be even cheaper, Stillshot!
08-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #214
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Grips at the K-50 price point make no sense. I almost never see a Canon grip on anything less than a pro-level camera. Price increases drive away far more consumers than a grip at this price point would attract.
Apparently Nikon and Canon didn't get that memo..

08-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
What do you want the 'wifi' button to do?
Good question. While I'd say that WiFi with a good, open API would be great, a button seems to be a waste of space. To toggle it on off? Why not go to the menu for that? Or do you want to constantly turn it on and off? To send something? But how? And where? Upload straight to facebook and a few other services? That's a rather consumer feature... (and I'd rather have the WiFi functionality be meant for professional use. And why not pick the photo on the phone itself, i.e. through an app? Like being able to flick through the SD card in camera, like a network drive, and to copy and upload files from there.
08-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
What do you want the 'wifi' button to do?
Since Pentax cameras are generally used by enthusiasts (although there are pros too), I think by having a wifi button it easily gives the camera user a fast access to the web by instantly sharing those images (that are intended for candid and social applications) specially Pentax cameras have built-in digital filters, this feature can be applied on both low end (Q's, entry/mid level) and high end products (K-5s K-3), thereby encouraging the user to use his/her gear than they're smartphones/tablets
08-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #217
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I also wonder if it's it possible for a camera to have the best of both worlds, with the option of an mirror and OVF, and an overlaid, fully functional EVF that comes into play when the mirror is flipped up, as in live view?
That's a damn good question and idea ! Let us get rid of this screen, there could be an optional external one !

Last edited by fs999; 08-20-2014 at 06:07 AM.
08-20-2014, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Since Pentax cameras are generally used by enthusiasts (although there are pros too), I think by having a wifi button it easily gives the camera user a fast access to the web by instantly sharing those images (that are intended for candid and social applications) specially Pentax cameras have built-in digital filters, this feature can be applied on both low end (Q's, entry/mid level) and high end products (K-5s K-3), thereby encouraging the user to use his/her gear than they're smartphones/tablets

You do understand that this would require not only network card & drivers on camera but also an operating system & applications to interact with your social network of choice on camera too. So we are talking about, most probably, fully blown Android OS. Maybe that's fine for P&S and Q but I really really want none of that on my DSLR.

I'll copy my photos using a card reader and not battery sucking dog slow WiFi thank you very much. Also, I will process my RAWs before I consider uploading them wherever.
Finally, I don't want general purpose OS on my specialized device to waste battery, reduce performance and increase possibility of freezing and bricking.

Phones, while evolving from specialized device to pocketable computer, IMHO lost a lot of features a phone had in early '00s, namely: battery life, call quality, speed of operation and stability. I'd rather have a stupid phone and a tablet than a smartphone (and it is cheaper too). Same goes for camera and X, for whatever X is.

08-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
You do understand that this would require not only network card & drivers on camera but also an operating system & applications to interact with your social network of choice on camera too. So we are talking about, most probably, fully blown Android OS. Maybe that's fine for P&S and Q but I really really want none of that on my DSLR.
Possibly. Although not necessarily. Pentax could provide basic FTP upload functionality and write software for Facebook, Instagram etc without needing to run the camera on Android. However, I think creating a richly featured companion app for Android and iOS would be a better option.

QuoteQuote:
I'll copy my photos using a card reader and not battery sucking dog slow WiFi thank you very much. Also, I will process my RAWs before I consider uploading them wherever.
The wireless ac standard is extremely fast with compatible devices. I think the point of WiFi is less for bulk image transfer but more for sharing specific images - I could see myself doing this for a travelogue for example: uploading photos as I go. This can already be achieved with WiFi SD cards and I have one in my Q but it would be much more convenient having it built in.

QuoteQuote:
Finally, I don't want general purpose OS on my specialized device to waste battery, reduce performance and increase possibility of freezing and bricking.
Sure. Although Android is extremely customisable so don't expect an Android based Pentax to look or operate anything like your phone. Depending upon the type of processor Pentax decided to use I wouldn't be surprised if the raw horsepower of an Android based DSLR could be higher than the K-3 at present. But, as I said earlier, I don't think this is a necessarily desirable option.

QuoteQuote:
Phones, while evolving from specialized device to pocketable computer, IMHO lost a lot of features a phone had in early '00s, namely: battery life, call quality, speed of operation and stability. I'd rather have a stupid phone and a tablet than a smartphone (and it is cheaper too). Same goes for camera and X, for whatever X is.
Many feature phones were poor in these respects. It depends on the implementation. As with most products.
08-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #220
Pentaxian

08-20-2014, 05:39 AM   #221
Pentaxian

Mmm (usual) Android? No way... why not a fully fledge Windows when we are at it?
Android Wear? Maybe but still not convinced. Still too generalist IMO.

More generalist OS, more security problems... You want your camera to get hacked? Fine, just put iOS or Android or Win on it. Guaranteed results.
08-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #222
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want my next Pentax to have a data plan, Snapseed, Instagram, and Hootsuite. I want to move forward, not back.
08-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I want my next Pentax to have a data plan, Snapseed, Instagram, and Hootsuite. I want to move forward, not back.
Absolutely. We also need articulating screen and Candy Crush for those long hours waiting for perfect shot.
08-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #224
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Then you're looking for a 'share to internet' (twitter, facebook, etc) button, rather than a 'connect to network' button, correct?
08-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #225
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
<p>I think WiFi is useful for this age- especially for those whose work involve social events, gatherings, corporate and promotional events, as well as news and media outfits. These industries demand quick return of images as many of them race towards getting a photo pubished faster than the others. For some in these industries, the one who submits nice photos fastest usually get more assignments (and cash, ideally). So I think WiFi in a cam does have its advantages... For example, for photojournalists-- a direct connection for uploading to a news network's photo database may prove good value.

for entry-level well... Many people today just can't help but post stuff every so often.</p>