Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 12:42 PM   #286
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
How about I glue a K to 42 converter on a K-mount full frame?
K-mount full frame $9.99 with lens !

08-31-2014, 10:58 PM   #287
Site Supporter

My suggestion is for Ricoh to come out with small primes for Q system. I just got a Q + 02 lens and I love this combo's light weight. The 02 does stick out much more than I liked, thus I think it would be great if Q system had high quality primes (hopefully low price), besides 01, to go with it.
09-01-2014, 05:40 AM   #288
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
My suggestion is for Ricoh to come out with small primes for Q system. I just got a Q + 02 lens and I love this combo's light weight. The 02 does stick out much more than I liked, thus I think it would be great if Q system had high quality primes (hopefully low price), besides 01, to go with it.
Pentax 07 Mount Shield 11.5mm f/9 Lens 22267 B&H Photo Video

09-01-2014, 05:43 AM - 2 Likes   #289
Pentaxian

My suggestion for the company is to keep doing what they have been doing. I get what I need out of this company.

09-01-2014, 07:09 AM   #290
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I was in an Outdoor Gear store this weekend and the thought crossed my mind that Pentax ought to get into these places. They sell sport optics and tree cameras, and all sorts of foul weather gear. Why not weatherized cameras? They just need to make a camouflaged K-50 and some camouflaged lenses, and get onto the shelves at Bass Pro, Cabelela's, Gander Mountain, or REI. They may not sell any, but why not try something different, at last they would be in some store.
Why not try it?* They're sure not having any success getting into camera stores.

*They already sell Sport Optics in that channel - scopes and binoculars.
09-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #291
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why not try it?* They're sure not having any success getting into camera stores.

*They already sell Sport Optics in that channel - scopes and binoculars.
Are they even trying?! AFAIK you need to pay these shops/give them incentives to place the cameras in their store, next to other cameras. And then to the sales people so they push customers towards those brands. That's what Canon and Nikon are doing. And I guess that's the reason why Sony, Panasonic and Olympus are everywhere, and even Fuji are in some shops. Only Pentax is missing. Maybe that is the reason why Pentax cameras can be cheaper, but I don't know if that is a good idea because sales will be lower. Especially with cameras that have haptic and ergonomics as a main selling point.
09-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #292

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Are they even trying?! AFAIK you need to pay these shops/give them incentives to place the cameras in their store, next to other cameras. And then to the sales people so they push customers towards those brands. That's what Canon and Nikon are doing. And I guess that's the reason why Sony, Panasonic and Olympus are everywhere, and even Fuji are in some shops. Only Pentax is missing. Maybe that is the reason why Pentax cameras can be cheaper, but I don't know if that is a good idea because sales will be lower. Especially with cameras that have haptic and ergonomics as a main selling point.
I think that is why those who own a Pentax camera really knows their Pentax camera. Not like some Canikony owners who owns those particular cameras because the sale person said its the latest model and everywhere is selling it.

Cheers..............
09-01-2014, 11:58 PM   #293
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And I guess that's the reason why Sony, Panasonic and Olympus are everywhere, and even Fuji are in some shops. Only Pentax is missing.
100% agree. When I enter my local photo store, i come across a stand for all those brands and there is one, maybe two, pentax cameras behind the counter.
Every potential pentax buyer ending up buying something else for this reason, is gone for many many years.

If i would have received a penny for every time i heard: "i bought a canon since that is what they advised me in the store", i'd be making my own FF with K mount by now...

09-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #294
Pentaxian

Are they even trying?! AFAIK you need to pay these shops/give them incentives to place the cameras in their store, next to other cameras. And then to the sales people so they push customers towards those brands. That's what Canon and Nikon are doing. And I guess that's the reason why Sony, Panasonic and Olympus are everywhere, and even Fuji are in some shops. Only Pentax is missing. ..
Maybe that is what they really want — not sell too many cameras because that imposes many other complications (distribution, repairs, local marketing cost, so forth). Everything we see so far illustrates this point: they are content. They are conservative, take small steps, like to lag behind, don't like to be patronised, and are not rushed to go anywhere in particular.
So let's leave them at that.
09-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #295
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Maybe that is what they really want — not sell too many cameras because that imposes many other complications (distribution, repairs, local marketing cost, so forth). Everything we see so far illustrates this point: they are content. They are conservative, take small steps, like to lag behind, don't like to be patronised, and are not rushed to go anywhere in particular.
Ricoh seems to have grown its office equipment business by acquisition. Maybe they'll acquire mirrorless share.

Just sayin'.
09-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #296
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Maybe that is what they really want not sell too many cameras because that imposes many other complications (distribution, repairs, local marketing cost, so forth). Everything we see so far illustrates this point: they are content. They are conservative, take small steps, like to lag behind, don't like to be patronised, and are not rushed to go anywhere in particular.
I think that was it, especially under Hoya, but the more recent events, introduction of 645z and the K-S1 in particular, say they want to break that mold. The changes seemed subtle because they were slow in coming, but they are coming faster. Many of the vocal people on the forum haven't noticed because full frame is their only yardstick. I still think they have to get a larger customer base to support a full frame, but maybe it's already larger than I think. But as always, I could be wrong!

---------- Post added 09-02-14 at 09:40 PM ----------

Ricoh seems to have grown its office equipment business by acquisition. Maybe they'll acquire mirrorless share.

Just sayin'.
It's interesting that one of their largest acquisitions was IKON in the US. Why build a distribution system when you can buy the biggest? I don't think there is an equivalent distributor in photographic equipment.
09-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #297
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It's interesting that one of their largest acquisitions was IKON in the US. Why build a distribution system when you can buy the biggest? I don't think there is an equivalent distributor in photographic equipment.
Yeah - no wholesale distributor seems to be a problem in the USA (see RIAC Parts). That's kind of where I was going. Just doing an imagination exercise here -
  1. look beyond just cameras and lenses
  2. what semi-related companies have a great product history - for instance:
    1. Tiffen - $15.9MM sales, private, Tiffen Acquisition Company (maybe a private equity roll-up looking for a wealth event?)
      1. All those products are in camera stores and many in BigBox stores.
    2. Tamrac - $20MM sales - similar+
    3. Etc.
09-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #298
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah - no wholesale distributor seems to be a problem in the USA (see RIAC Parts). That's kind of where I was going. Just doing an imagination exercise here -
  1. look beyond just cameras and lenses
  2. what semi-related companies have a great product history - for instance:
    1. Tiffen - $15.9MM sales, private, Tiffen Acquisition Company (maybe a private equity roll-up looking for a wealth event?)
      1. All those products are in camera stores and many in BigBox stores.
    2. Tamrac - $20MM sales - similar+
    3. Etc.
How about Kenko Tokina?

Kenko Tokina USA, Inc.
09-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #299
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How about Kenko Tokina?

Kenko Tokina USA, Inc.
Heh. Wouldn't it be sweet irony to own Hoya Filters? There have been several Posts about Hoya / Kenko / Pentax over the years. Here's one:
09-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #300
Pentaxian

Heh. Wouldn't it be sweet irony to own Hoya Filters? There have been several Posts about Hoya / Kenko / Pentax over the years. Here's one:
That would solve the FF problem, too - Kenko is the only current manufacturer of K-mount FF cameras

Or actually, it seems like it has been discontinued: http://www.yodobashi.com/ケンコー-Kenko-KF-4PK/pd/100000001000950428/