Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 111 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #361
Pentaxian

What should Pentax do? Mirrorless, mirrorless, everybody's going mirorrless:

Photokina 2014: Canon interview - Mirrorless 'in the very near future': Digital Photography Review

Photokina 2014: Nikon interview - 'large-sensor mirrorless could be a solution': Digital Photography Review

09-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #362
Pentaxian

Doooonn't care !
But for KS-02
09-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #363
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Read the Nikon section on video.
Because of our history and background, our first priority is high-quality still images. But we have to pay attention to market demand for movie features. 4K for example is something we have to study very carefully - when, and how we can provide a camera to meet demand to satisfy our customers.
Sound familiar? Anything about that language we might have heard spoken by any executive with another camera company near and dear to our hearts?

(language used when they're not doing what you asked about).
09-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #364
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Read the Nikon section on video.
Because of our history and background, our first priority is high-quality still images. But we have to pay attention to market demand for movie features. 4K for example is something we have to study very carefully - when, and how we can provide a camera to meet demand to satisfy our customers.
Sound familiar? Anything about that language we might have heard spoken by any executive with another camera company near and dear to our hearts?

(language used when they're not doing what you asked about).
Yep but that's Nikon so it's acceptable...

BTW, both Pentax and Nikon might just be stuck in the same boat 'cos they both use Milbeaut and do not have access (or don't want or whatever) to other solutions.

09-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are also considering a K-3 competitor.

"We understand that there is still some demand for a successor to the D300S and all we can say at this moment is that we are studying that demand."

Sounds like Pentax FF comments....
09-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #366
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
We understand that there is still some demand for a successor to the D300S and all we can say at this moment is that we are studying that demand."

Sounds like Pentax FF comments....
From what I have read on Nikon forums, the clamour for a D300 replacement is just as strong as the outcry for a Pentax full frame on this and similar forums.
09-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #367
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep but that's Nikon so it's acceptable...
Not quite. In the forums you hear an equal ammount of "NIkon is Doomed" style threads. The D750 was met with some pretty harsh critisim at the reveal. I had to check the banner of the forum to see if I was on Pentaxforums or not because the critisim and negativity was just as harsh. Even for lens releases, they always compare to Canon and what they are doing and why me why this, why that...

I havent' been to any Canon forums but I'm sure there are people there crying and threatening to goto Nikon too.

No one makes a perfect camera. Everyone has different needs and wants, and every camera offers different solutions to those needs and wants. What is a perfect camera for me wont be the perfect camera for you. The perfect lens setup for me wont be the perfect lens setup for you. But is ______ doomed because they don't offer _______? appears so.

09-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #368
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Not quite. In the forums you hear an equal ammount of "NIkon is Doomed" style threads. The D750 was met with some pretty harsh critisim at the reveal. I had to check the banner of the forum to see if I was on Pentaxforums or not because the critisim and negativity was just as harsh. Even for lens releases, they always compare to Canon and what they are doing and why me why this, why that...

I havent' been to any Canon forums but I'm sure there are people there crying and threatening to goto Nikon too.

No one makes a perfect camera. Everyone has different needs and wants, and every camera offers different solutions to those needs and wants. What is a perfect camera for me wont be the perfect camera for you. The perfect lens setup for me wont be the perfect lens setup for you. But is ______ doomed because they don't offer _______? appears so.
Which negates the theory that "Pentaxians are Pentax's worse enemy". It is definitely true that there are naysayers for other brands, yet it doesn't effect their bottom line.
09-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #369
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Which negates the theory that "Pentaxians are Pentax's worse enemy". It is definitely true that there are naysayers for other brands, yet it doesn't effect their bottom line.
Different when the complaining is from the fans of a minority brand though - a bit more desperation in the tone. :-)
09-24-2014, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #370
Veteran Member

pentax needs to make a K-02 that's focused heavily on video. Make a Q with phase detect AF and an amazing processor. And a K-1 full frame or even if they want to do something different make a K-1000 retro FF cam that's all manual focus
09-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #371
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
No, I believe that the Pentax AF system is precise, its just not super-quick. But if its all over the place, then that doesn't sound right. Your screw drive lenses should be perfect as far as I am aware. I asked the forum a while back about my sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 which would back focus only at f4 (it was fine on the other apertures). I gave it to Sigma to fix, and they also wanted my K-5 to calibrate it to the lens, but I didn't give the K-5.

In my thread, folks talked about having problems like you describe, and stating that that was the severe case of the AF system going haywire, and in need of repair.

In my case of my Sigma lens, what is needed is USB connectivity to the lens, so's that the ROM chip in the lens can have its firmware updated. Thats why I believe all these products SHOULD have USB connectivity, like flashes and lenses.

If I were you, I would create a new thread describing what is happening with your camera, and people will tell you if you've got a problem and how to address it.

My simple test is to put the camera on a tripod, set the lens to infinity (set the aperture), and see where the focus ring ends up. I then switch it to live, set the lens to infinity, and see if the focus ring ends up in the same spot, and also whether both the image are in focus. The live view auto focus is very accurate, the phase detect AF works off a separate sensor. If the phase detect sensor is messing up, its either the phase detect system going bonkers and it needs to be fixed or re-calibrated, or the firmware needs to be updated in your camera. Maybe also the firmware in the lens itself - regardless of whether the lens is screw drive or has an internal focus motor.

I do not think the phase detect sensor being too big as being the problem, I think the problem is that they weren't big enough, and needed more pixels and better programming. The guys writing the firmware for cameras, need to have the camera communicate with every lens. It could be a matter of firmware support - i don't know for sure.

Just post a new thread, and describe those symptoms of your camera.
Thanks. I will have to do some tests... it's been relatively consistent when doing tests, but in the real life I have no clue what the sensor is focusing on... something around the center, but if there are different depths around the center then it could be anywhere... something will be in focus near the center, but who knows what... A precise representation of where the focus sensor is, and how big it is, would help tremendously.

The way I read the Nikon interview they simply are unable to do 4K at this point... he refers to the image processor, and Fujitsu hasn't announced that their Milbeaut does 4K. I guess it's safe to say that it doesn't, and as long as it doesn't, Nikon (and Pentax for that matter) won't be able to deliver it.

That he thinks 4K is too much is foolish, IMHO. Even for content that is not released at 4K it gives big advantages... 1080p is often not really 1080p, it is rather soft on many cameras. 4K, downscaled to 1080p is usually much sharper. Also it allows for crops. Simple example would be an interview or something like that, with the camera mounted on a tripod. To make it visually a bit more interesting you can occasionally crop in, select a different crop, show the full image, etc., without losing quality.

In the end he criticises Fujitsu again... their processors aren't fast enough. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It's time that cameras get proper processors. Samsung has done that, as they are able to do it. Canon to a certain degree too. It's harder for Pentax and Nikon. Basically Canon has a processor system that is scalable, so if they need more performance they can, to a certain degree, improve it by using several processors. I doubt the Fujiltsu Milbeaut is capable of that. Samsung has based their DRIMe V on their Exynos line of smartphone SoCs, sadly there's not much info around, apart from the ancestry and that it's a quad core CPU. I'd expect something pretty fast. The latest quad core Exynos is the one used in the S5 Mini, which is probably a mid range CPU for smartphones, but compared to a Milbeaut? I guess there's not much competition. Other Exynos CPUs are usually quadcores these days, though they are of the big.LITTLE type, which combines 4 high end cores with 4 lower end ones meant for energy saving. It'd be very curious what a DRIMe V actually is... I have the feeling it is something that is even ahead of their smartphone CPUs. None of the Exynos processors is capable of HEVC/h265 recording, only playback.

Perhaps the solution for Pentax and Nikon could be to go to Qualcomm for a new imaging processor. The Qualcomm Snapdragon series has plenty of oomph (the 801 and 805 basically power every top of the line smartphone out there), and they have an image processor too, which is capable of something like 55 MP sensors IIRC. Maybe combine it with a Milbeaut, maybe replace the Milbeaut, work with Qualcomm to create a version meant for DSLRs...?

Btw., Image Sensors World: Samsung APS-C BSI Sensor that's a bit of detail on the 28 MP sensor used in the Samsung NX-1.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0661793352/photokina-2014-sony-interview-we...te-more-lenses
The Sony interview, should be interesting too.

"No. From what I’ve heard, in recent years a lot of professional photographers have needed to start creating video as well as stills - doing two jobs. One camera which can do both - like the A7S - is potentially better."
Someone go tell Pentax.

Last edited by kadajawi; 09-24-2014 at 05:13 PM.
09-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #372
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
What should Pentax do? Mirrorless, mirrorless, everybody's going mirorrless:
I do think I would like to see another attempt at a mirrorless camera by Pentax. I think I would like to buy a used K-01, but seriously that thing is hideous looking ! They were running them out of stores real cheap a couple of years ago, and I thought of getting one, but Blaaaagh ! Who the heck is this Marc Newsom guy ? What a hack ! Talk about embarrassing for Pentax.

Can you imagine Marcs CV: yeah I stylized a Pentax camera, and it was a global flop, and received huge amounts of ridicule and scorn across the industry - But at least I'm making a name for myself !

So Yes, a mirrorless K-02 with K-mount, an optional EVF, or a glass viewfinder like the glass VF for the Ricoh GR, but not as stupid looking.

The solution for the problems with mirrorless is starring all the companies right in the face.

Photokina 2014: Canon interview - Mirrorless 'in the very near future': Digital Photography Review
In the link I do note Mr Maeda saying at the end:
"When was the first time you saw a picture from a Canon digital camera and thought ‘that’s better than film’?"
Mr Maeda: "2004. That’s when the reproduction of color exceeded the capabilities of film. Across our entire product line."

"That was ten years ago - what’s the next big moment?"
Mr Maeda: "You tell me! "

Poor guy doesn't know what the heck is going ! He's stumped ! It almost sounds like "Kruger Industrial Smoothing" from Seinfeld.

Photokina 2014: Nikon interview - 'large-sensor mirrorless could be a solution': Digital Photography Review
Here's a quote about the D600 oil from that link:

"The D600 had a well-publicized problem with oil on its sensor, which affected a lot of your customers. A lot of people were very unhappy with Nikon’s response. If something like this comes up again in the future, would you handle things differently?"

Mr Akagi: "Internally, we took that issue very seriously, and when we created the D750 we reviewed our quality control process. It’s impossible to say for certain that we could avoid this kind of thing in the future, but we have certainly minimized the risk. As for handling such an issue differently it’s difficult to say since we cannot predict what might happen. But the D600 issue was very important, and very sensitive and we are trying our best to avoid that kind of problem again."

So the answer for the oily sensor is the D750. The D750 was created to replace the D600/D610, and to get it away from search engines which will immediately reveal the problem.
09-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote

You're absolutely right. Seen from there.
In fact, I was considering things from here, reactions from us, Pentaxforums, about Nikon.
Somehow, I would have felt bad if Nikonians didn't react that way. Home sweet home LOL.
09-25-2014, 03:16 AM   #374
Pentaxian

Why this sudden interest in mirrorless cameras from Canon and Nikon?

Just have a look at the turnover figures (source: CIPA)

09-25-2014, 05:07 AM   #375
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
I do think I would like to see another attempt at a mirrorless camera by Pentax. I think I would like to buy a used K-01, but seriously that thing is hideous looking ! They were running them out of stores real cheap a couple of years ago, and I thought of getting one, but Blaaaagh ! Who the heck is this Marc Newsom guy ? What a hack ! Talk about embarrassing for Pentax.

Can you imagine Marcs CV: yeah I stylized a Pentax camera, and it was a global flop, and received huge amounts of ridicule and scorn across the industry - But at least I'm making a name for myself !
Maybe you'd want to check his CV. He graduated 1984, 1986 he had his first exhibition, amongst them a few chairs which later sold for 1 million dollar and 1.1 million pound. 2005 he was named one of the 100 most influential people in the year by Time Magazine. In 2012 he was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire for his services to design. He is creative director for Qantas and now works at Apple.

His works include a concept car for Ford, Qantas/Airbus, Riva, Ideal Standard, Samsonite, Nike, Dom Perignon, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Tefal, Alessi, ...

As far as designers go I think he is doing rather well. The only other big name designer I remember who has put his name like that on a camera is Colani.

Btw., I do think the K-01 is a very attractive camera.