Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #616
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,655
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
There won't be significant improvements in the APS-C DSLR sector in terms of stills in the near future.
Samsung already have a backlit APS-C sensor in mirrorless,
so similar technology in a DSLR shouldn't be very far behind.

Experience with the Q cameras shows how these sensors punch well above their weight.

11-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #617
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,611
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Samsung already have a backlit APS-C sensor in mirrorless,
so similar technology in a DSLR shouldn't be very far behind.

Experience with the Q cameras shows how these sensors punch well above their weight.
Samsung won't be interested in selling that sensor to Pentax. And when Sony manages to put the tech in their sensors, they too might want to keep that advantage to themselves. In any case it's not Pentax achievement if they get to use the sensor. It doesn't mean they have to develop something...
11-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #618
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,906
  • The train has never left the station. Never, never, ever.
  • Fujitsu Milbeaut.
  • When Ricoh can manufacture or purchase an image processor that can perform high quality video recording and develops processing software that filters SR noise then they will feature video as a selling point. Not before.
One thing at a time. They've just done cropped medium format. Next up is FF. Somewhere out there is a large-sensor MILC. Lens development is constant across 4 platforms. They're probably working on AF and flash sync in stages, to introduce as major new upgrades are released.

The various commenters on these threads and in this Forum always put their own priorities first, assuming everyone else shares their views on what Pentax should do.

I think they should just keep making high quality cameras and lenses, selling them at decent value prices for the quality and arranging to do so at a profit to the company so they can keep doing it.

We should all hope and pray the Japan economy expands strongly and mightily for the next 15 years. I'll gladly buy in the USA whatever they decide will sell in Japan.
11-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #619
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,611
SR noise does not have to be filtered. Those who care about audio will record externally, those who don't won't notice. They can put in a warning that audio might be affected by the SR. That's all.

AF will come with the sensor if they go mirrorless, so no need to work on that.

Flash sync doesn't bother me at the moment, but they really should catch up.

Nikon is getting decent video out of the latest Milbeaut and Sony (?) sensors, though it is hardly class leading. But I'd be fine with D5300 video quality, + focus peaking during video, + SR and all of that inside the K-3 body.

I do have wishes for stills, especially to make use of the SR in an easy way... I want bracketing! If possible an API that allows us to program and remote control our camera.

11-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #620
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,866
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Samsung already have a backlit APS-C sensor in mirrorless,
so similar technology in a DSLR shouldn't be very far behind.

Experience with the Q cameras shows how these sensors punch well above their weight.
I've been expecting mirror-less to take over the APS-C world, but the data I've seen indicates that any change in market share has been rather slow over the past few years. I still believe it will happen, but not right now, so Pentax has time to develop the technology. If I Recall Correctly, Canon used their Rebel line to try out some of the technology that showed up in their EOS-M camera; Pentax could do something similar with a K-50 successor, assuming that such a camera is somewhere in the near-future.


In the meantime, I believe they should add an EVF, perhaps an optional variant, to the Q-line, because the evidence seems to be that Asian markets will buy a mirror-less camera sans EVF, but that seems to be a really tough task in the US and Europe.
11-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #621
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,611
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I've been expecting mirror-less to take over the APS-C world, but the data I've seen indicates that any change in market share has been rather slow over the past few years. I still believe it will happen, but not right now, so Pentax has time to develop the technology. If I Recall Correctly, Canon used their Rebel line to try out some of the technology that showed up in their EOS-M camera; Pentax could do something similar with a K-50 successor, assuming that such a camera is somewhere in the near-future.


In the meantime, I believe they should add an EVF, perhaps an optional variant, to the Q-line, because the evidence seems to be that Asian markets will buy a mirror-less camera sans EVF, but that seems to be a really tough task in the US and Europe.
But a Q with an EVF will become a rather ungainly thing, and lose it's size advantage.
11-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #622
Site Supporter
Clothears's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury
Posts: 124
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In the meantime, I believe they should add an EVF, perhaps an optional variant, to the Q-line, because the evidence seems to be that Asian markets will buy a mirror-less camera sans EVF, but that seems to be a really tough task in the US and Europe.
Well I wouldn't buy a mirrorless with no viewfinder (like the K-01). It should either have an OVF, with an overlay to show shooting data, or an EVF with a high refresh rate and focus peaking in the viewfinder. Since I wear glasses these days, the rear screen isn't much use without them, while with them, I can't see into the VF properly.
11-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #623
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,866
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
But a Q with an EVF will become a rather ungainly thing, and lose it's size advantage.
The serious competitors in the US and Europe have EVF available, either built-in or add-on. The ones that have gotten very low market share in the US and Europe (like Q and EOS-M) have not had EVF available. I'm convinced they could rearrange the body to add EVF with only a small change in the overall size ... or they could make an add-on like the already available, but seriously over-priced, OVF unit. In any case, if they have any hope of competing in the mirror-less US/Europe market, they will need an EVF. Otherwise, they are wasting their time here and might as well withdraw to Asia, as Canon seems to have done.

11-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #624
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,611
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The serious competitors in the US and Europe have EVF available, either built-in or add-on. The ones that have gotten very low market share in the US and Europe (like Q and EOS-M) have not had EVF available. I'm convinced they could rearrange the body to add EVF with only a small change in the overall size ... or they could make an add-on like the already available, but seriously over-priced, OVF unit. In any case, if they have any hope of competing in the mirror-less US/Europe market, they will need an EVF. Otherwise, they are wasting their time here and might as well withdraw to Asia, as Canon seems to have done.
There are more reasons why the Q is a failure in Europe and the US. "We" want big sensors, and not the smallest camera there is. For Europe it should at least be mFT, better APS-C or FF. And then an EVF is not such a big problem.
11-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #625
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,866
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
There are more reasons why the Q is a failure in Europe and the US. "We" want big sensors, and not the smallest camera there is. For Europe it should at least be mFT, better APS-C or FF. And then an EVF is not such a big problem.
I am a regular at another discussion forum where photographers using all brands congregate. I've been there just five months, but I've learned a lot about photography - and photographers - during that time. I can tell you with absolute certainty that few serious photographers will have anything to do with a camera that does not provide a viewfinder. In the words of one of them, "Using an LCD outside is worse than point-and-shoot; it is hope-and-shoot".


And I would present the following facts to substantiate my statement that lack of EVF is a deal-breaker as far as US / Europe is concerned:


(1) The Canon SX-60 was received with great joy. It's sensor is 1/2.3, the same as Q and smaller than Q7, but it does have an EVF. I believe that attaching a legacy zoom lens to a Q7 would address many of the same needs but provide better image quality.


(2) The EOS-M was a dismal failure in US / Europe, and Canon didn't even bother to introduce the EOS-M2 here. The EOS-M family has an APS-C sensor, basically exactly the same package as used on the T5i, but it has no EVF.


Same company; the camera with smaller sensor but EVF is a big success, while the camera with a larger sensor but no viewfinder is a big flop.
11-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #626
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,611
Fair enough, still I doubt even a EVF Q would have success. And it is not like the SX60 was a big success, right? Haven't heard anything about it anyway. LX100, RX100 though... (and the RX100 doesn't have an EVF).
11-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #627
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,866
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Fair enough, still I doubt even a EVF Q would have success. And it is not like the SX60 was a big success, right? Haven't heard anything about it anyway. LX100, RX100 though... (and the RX100 doesn't have an EVF).
Actually, I've already seen several threads from excited new SX-60 owners who can't wait to show off their new pictures. I don't know how that translates into actual shipments, of course.
11-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #628
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,906
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Fair enough, still I doubt even a EVF Q would have success. And it is not like the SX60 was a big success, right? Haven't heard anything about it anyway. LX100, RX100 though... (and the RX100 doesn't have an EVF).
If Ricoh was going to experiment with EVF technology Q would be the line to do it on. They often experiment with a single-issue body, such as the K-01 (focus peaking, internal technology, effectively LiveView), MX-1 (hinged LCD), built-in Wi-Fi (WG-30), and not always on top-of-the-line cameras.

The X-S1 bodies may become a test platform line.
11-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #629
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,535
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If Ricoh was going to experiment with EVF technology Q would be the line to do it on. They often experiment with a single-issue body, such as the K-01 (focus peaking, internal technology, effectively LiveView), MX-1 (hinged LCD), built-in Wi-Fi (WG-30), and not always on top-of-the-line cameras.

The X-S1 bodies may become a test platform line.
This is a very reasonable suggestions. They could release a possibly risky camera and test the new features without risking their main line reputation or sales.
11-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #630
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,202
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If Ricoh was going to experiment with EVF technology Q would be the line to do it on. They often experiment with a single-issue body, such as the K-01 (focus peaking, internal technology, effectively LiveView), MX-1 (hinged LCD), built-in Wi-Fi (WG-30), and not always on top-of-the-line cameras.

The X-S1 bodies may become a test platform line.
I don't know how much need there is to experiment with an EVF. It's just a case of deciding to do it and sourcing the screen from Epson or Sony. Ricoh has had an EVF module for their GX and GXR cameras in the past. I think Pentax rejected EVFs the Q and K-01 for different reasons. In the Q's case it would make it too large and more expensive. I doesn't mean they won't have an additional model with EVF at some point. In the case of the K-01, they probably felt that if they added a viewfinder to a K-mount camera, it might as well be an optical one. The K-01 with a viewfinder was the K-30.

The tilting screen is also easy enough to implement, but they just haven't decided to do it. Perhaps the weather sealing issue was part of the reason. Perhaps they didn't see the demand for it.

The interesting thing is that in the Photokina interview, questions about these features got a kind of "knowing smile" response. I think we'll see both in the near future.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645z, ad, camera, cameras, canon, display, dslr, evf, features, ff, film, full-frame, glass, lens, lenses, market, mirror, mirrorless, money, nikon, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, results, sensor, time, value, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This is what Pentax should do Rekusu Pentax Medium Format 19 01-12-2015 01:10 AM
What should I do? kodai84 Photographic Industry and Professionals 4 01-05-2014 08:49 AM
Focusing on Pentax K-Mount only - Or what should I do with my M42s antipattern Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 01-30-2013 10:26 AM
What Should I Do? tabl10s Pentax K-5 8 10-16-2012 03:55 AM
what Pentax should do nathancombs Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 07-06-2007 01:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top