Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #721
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In the days before autofocus, many of us would have our left hand on the lens the whole time to be prepared to nudge the focus. A similar hold today would make it much easier to hold a (tiny) camera attached to a (long) lens.
That's how I usually hold my camera, but still a well formed and deep grip is good and useful.

12-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #722
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
That's how I usually hold my camera, but still a well formed and deep grip is good and useful.
I agree with you, I am not interested in a thin body. But it seems to be the latest thing.
12-10-2014, 11:05 PM - 2 Likes   #723
Forum Member

What does Pentax need to do?

What does Pentax need to do?

What I know is that I want to be able to do high quality video projects. I would love to have the ability to be able to put my money to a Pentax camera that is suitable for high grade video. Instead it appears I will sadly have no choice but to start buying into another system. It will have to be a mirror-less system so that I can still use my Pentax glass.

I would like to hold on for a while to see if Pentax can fully master video, but reading the latest comments from Pentax when they were asked about expanding their video capabilities by Adam they replied they were going to continue to think of themselves as a primarily stills oriented camera manufacturer.
That to me is a single that if I ever want to get good video I should probably be looking at another system.

I mean I could get one system for video, and keep my Pentax equipment for stills. But the times I most want video is when I'm out shooting stills. Such as if I want to capture the action of wildlife, sporting event,or birthday, for example: I'm taking pictures of a praying mantis and I notice it's getting ready to grab a moth, that is the time I want to have high-quality video at my disposal. And lugging two systems with me all the time and then trying to switch to the video system before the moment passes! Impossible!

So if I do buy a second system that can do video and stills, that will be the system I would be using all the time.

Right now Samsung's new camera looks like it will fit the bill. I just wish Pentax would give me a product that I could buy instead of a NX1 .

This is what I need, and it does not sound like I'm alone on this from reading the comments in this thread.

Is this what Pentax needs to do? I think so, my sister wanted a camera, and she wanted the camera to be able to record high quality YouTube videos for her YouTube channel. And without any Pentax camera offering continuous autofocus for self filming, severe Jell-O cam from poor shake reduction, and pronounced rolling shutter. She had to buy another system, she went with Panasonic. Now if Pentax offered a good DSLR for video than I could have set her up with a Pentax system rather than a Panasonic system. And in addition I wouldn't be looking at pouring my money into another system as well. In my experience lack of high-quality video on Pentax cameras has been the number one reason to buy into another system.

The point of a camera to me is: First -- image capture, Second -- capturing the moment, Third -- creating a visual work of art. Video capabilities expand all these criteria, and should therefore be embraced not trivialized.
12-11-2014, 12:39 AM   #724
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I agree with you, I am not interested in a thin body. But it seems to be the latest thing.
I know m4/3 and other MILCs create good pictures and fit other peoples need. I've got big paws and I totally agree with what someone once said. "Shooting MILC as big as the Pen is like holding a pack of cigarettes with a can of soda in front while shooting with something smaller than that would be like holding a credit card again with a can of soda in front. These cameras are just to small for me. I like the size of my K-5II.

12-11-2014, 05:06 AM   #725
Pentaxian

Amen SGOMMO7. To be fair though Panasonic doesn't have stabilization in the body, and you can turn off the Pentax electronic stabilization. Of course Panasonic then has the advantage of stabilized lenses, which rarely exist for Pentax because they thought there is no need for that.

I doubt Pentax can compete with Samsung. Samsung has too many resources and can do everything in house, something that is far beyond Pentax' abilities. Pentax depends on a supplier such as Samsung, and Samsung does not have to sell their tech to Pentax... They can hold on to their greatest tech and only sell it to Pentax once they have milked it long enough.

What Pentax is able to offer would be Nikon kind of video, which is good enough, with added shake reduction that works really well for video. It's a shame they don't do that, cause for me it'd be enough.

As for mirrorless I want a body about the size of a K-5, perhaps a bit smaller, and lighter, but where with lenses it is much smaller than a K-5.
12-11-2014, 05:41 AM   #726
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
To be fair though Panasonic doesn't have stabilization in the body
Except for the GX7, which does.
12-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #727
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Except for the GX7, which does.
Not during video though, AFAIK. Maybe they didn't want to hurt GH4 sales?
12-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #728
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I know m4/3 and other MILCs create good pictures and fit other peoples need. I've got big paws and I totally agree with what someone once said. "Shooting MILC as big as the Pen is like holding a pack of cigarettes with a can of soda in front while shooting with something smaller than that would be like holding a credit card again with a can of soda in front. These cameras are just to small for me. I like the size of my K-5II.
And that is the way "product segmentation" should work: a totally small camera for those who want that, and a bigger one for those who want that. Trying to address both needs in one camera may easily result in a camera that no one likes, and therefore that no one will buy.

12-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #729
Forum Member

I've been a Pentax user since my first screw-mount Spotmatic back in the 1970s up through my present K-x.

As much as I would like for my next camera to be a Pentax, right now I'm looking at other brands because Pentax doesn't make anything like what I want. Which is something smaller than my APS-C DSLR, but with a bigger sensor than most point-and-shoot cameras. I don't care if the sensor is 1", micro 4/3 or something else in-between. Of course, APS-C would be just fine, if the overall camera+lens can be made significantly smaller than my Kx. I don't care if the lens is detachable or fixed, but if fixed, can be either a 'normal' perspective lens with a wide aperture, or a moderate zoom with a reasonably wide aperture. Price-wise, my comfort range tops out around $800.

I believe my specs are generously tolerant, and, if 'wide aperture' is loosely defined, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus all have a model or two that are in my ballpark - but not Pentax, right?

-gw

Last edited by runswithsizzers; 12-11-2014 at 09:44 AM. Reason: clarity
12-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #730

Photos: Albums
the way I look at it going forward the first company to make a truly professional mirror-less will cause a shift (one could argue that RED has already done this)

But if it was me I would actually go in the direction of more accessories, less on the body its self.
make two simple very rugged bodies one with a shutter, one mirrorless.
make them fully controllable with a smartphone/tablet and wireless live view
have a "stills" specific grip and a "video" specific grip.
this would give Pentax the ability to fine tune the cameras to certain users with out having to build each a camera.
Also if you mostly shoot stills but occasionally shoot video then you can have the video grip for when you need the better I/O or what ever
also if the accessories are compatible through model generations then you might only have to upgrade part of your gear at a time

The GH4 has an optional video grip that outputs 4k over 4x 3G-SDI and adds some other I/O options but it doubles the price of the camera (if not more) which makes it kind of impractical as well as its pretty much just an I/O.

but ill just be happy when i have something to use all my FF glass with (that isnt a cannon with an adapter)
12-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #731
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
I've been a Pentax user since my first screw-mount Spotmatic back in the 1970s up through my present K-x.

As much as I would like for my next camera to be a Pentax, right now I'm looking at other brands because Pentax doesn't make anything like what I want. Which is something smaller than my APS-C DSLR, but with a bigger sensor than most point-and-shoot cameras. I don't care if the sensor is 1", micro 4/3 or something else in-between. Of course, APS-C would be just fine, if the overall camera+lens can be made significantly smaller than my Kx. I don't care if the lens is detachable or fixed, but if fixed, can be either a 'normal' perspective lens with a wide aperture, or a moderate zoom with a reasonably wide aperture. Price-wise, my comfort range tops out around $800.

I believe my specs are generously tolerant, and, if 'wide aperture' is loosely defined, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, Panasonic and Olympus all have a model or two that are in my ballpark - but not Pentax, right?

-gw
careful shopping will get you an XE2 with the kit zoom used for that price or an XE1 but no new item from Fuji with an EVF (you could get an entry level LCD only body and pick up the 35 1.4
12-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #732
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did anyone notice that the whole www does not care about Pentax. Pentaxrumors is a dead web resource, because there is no news, so nobody cares. Sigma does not offer all their third party lenses in PK mount, or with HSM motor. Zeiss stopped ZK lens line. Ricoh/Pentax stopped presenting anything interesting or something that could define a future for the K-series camera line.
It is on Pentax to show their followers where the company is headed. If APS-C is the answer fine, if FF is the answer even better, if it is something without a mirror OK, drop the K-mount whatever - any kind of guidance would help. Last photokina was a desaster considering new products, photokina 2012 was a desaster as well. Still no news, nothing worth a rumor... what are we doing here??? Are you guys still reading this post?
12-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #733
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Zeiss stopped ZK lens line.
But they're still producing M42 screwmount lenses.
Ricoh/Pentax stopped presenting anything interesting
Well, even if you don't find advances like the switchable AA filter interesting,
many people do.
Last photokina was a desaster considering new products, photokina 2012 was a desaster as well.
Photokina is no longer considered a good place or time to offer new products,
since they'll quickly get buried in that news cycle.
12-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #734
Pentaxian

I mentioned before that I'd like Pentax to re-enable MJPEG. I know it's not a flashy codec, it's outdated, ... but it works. Guess which other camera uses MJPEG for video? It's the Canon 1D C. Their cinema powerhouse, a camera with a $16K (list) price tag. Because results should matter, and in that regard MJPEG delivers where Pentax' h264 fails.
01-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #735
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I mentioned before that I'd like Pentax to re-enable MJPEG. I know it's not a flashy codec, it's outdated, ... but it works. Guess which other camera uses MJPEG for video? It's the Canon 1D C. Their cinema powerhouse, a camera with a $16K (list) price tag. Because results should matter, and in that regard MJPEG delivers where Pentax' h264 fails.
Yet people here were bitching 'cos MJPEG is crap and sooo 2000...