Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 111 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #736
Banned

What else could they have done? K10D was kind of a 10MP version of the *ist-D, with a up to date interface.

01-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #737
Pentaxian

It doesn't matter, we want it back. Then, gone again. Then, back again. And gone. And back...
01-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #738
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yet people here were bitching 'cos MJPEG is crap and sooo 2000...
That's like bitching that raw files are soooo big... And then the new Pentax DSLR only offers JPEG. In one compression setting... Too strong. The files are small, yes, but they are crap. What's the point? Sometimes those small files are great, but the option of getting files that are as good as possible, even if that means huge files, would be great. The user can then select what he wants for the particular shot. Sometimes it's fitting 3 hours of content on a small card, sometimes it's the best possible quality.
01-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #739
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
That's like bitching that raw files are soooo big... And then the new Pentax DSLR only offers JPEG. In one compression setting... Too strong. The files are small, yes, but they are crap. What's the point? Sometimes those small files are great, but the option of getting files that are as good as possible, even if that means huge files, would be great. The user can then select what he wants for the particular shot. Sometimes it's fitting 3 hours of content on a small card, sometimes it's the best possible quality.
Oh I totally agree with you not with those bithching, a while back

01-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #740
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It doesn't matter, we want it back. Then, gone again. Then, back again. And gone. And back...
Haha. Just enable the option, because it is a feature that is sometimes useful. No need to remove either... Just give us options.
01-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #741
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Did anyone notice that the whole www does not care about Pentax. Pentaxrumors is a dead web resource, because there is no news, so nobody cares. Sigma does not offer all their third party lenses in PK mount, or with HSM motor. Zeiss stopped ZK lens line. Ricoh/Pentax stopped presenting anything interesting or something that could define a future for the K-series camera line.
It is on Pentax to show their followers where the company is headed. If APS-C is the answer fine, if FF is the answer even better, if it is something without a mirror OK, drop the K-mount whatever - any kind of guidance would help. Last photokina was a desaster considering new products, photokina 2012 was a desaster as well. Still no news, nothing worth a rumor... what are we doing here??? Are you guys still reading this post?
I walked into a camera store and saw the Pentax 645Z, thats the first time I've ever seen this medium format camera on a store shelf. I was about to say "May I", to give it a go, I probably should have. It looks like that store is real confident in the 645Z, and sales are probably coming - the 645Z appears to be well received.

Hopefully there will be a 35mm DSLR this year, as Ricoh have claimed.

So I don't know where people get this amnesia over Pentax: "Oh my gosh, Pentax is so stupid, they have no direction, they have no products, the products they release are no good, they're no good, everything is bad yadda yadda yadda".

I guess Pentax must be doing something right, considering how nobodies on Pentax rumors complaining about oil splatter, or faulty sensors with banding and other faults.
01-02-2015, 02:10 AM   #742
Pentaxian

Thank you zoolander for this brunch of well inspired common-sense !

01-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #743

Have to say, I'm impressed with the GoPro killers Ricoh/Pentax are putting out. I'd like them to go the same route with camcorders.

Go after the prosumer camcorders like my Sony AX100 or the X70 but WR? That would be huge. No more trash bags when its drizzling.

Huge.

Last edited by MyTZuS; 01-09-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: grammar
01-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #744
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Camcorders? Do they still make those?
01-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #745
Veteran Member

Take a long hard look at the Samsung NX1 and how Samsung deals with it. The firmware update that massively improves the camera and takes into account customer feedback (something that is very foreign to Pentax). That they just released or announced a SDK that lets you write apps for the camera and lets you write apps for tethering to the camera, with full access I suppose. Pentax has rejected that idea.

And besides that it is a great, modern camera with both good stills and good video. Handling is good apparently. And it is supposed to be built like a Canon 1D X... Just smaller.

Samsung is also churning out good, interesting lenses.

If Pentax doesn't change I know my next camera will be a Samsung.

But no, no camcorders please. I need stills and video in one camera, and I don't want a small sensor.
01-09-2015, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #746
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

If Pentax doesn't change I know my next camera will be a Samsung.
We know, we know, we know.

You moan endlessly about this.

You have previously acknowledged you're different from us by shooting more video than stills.

So please do it! I don't complain that a truck carries more luggage than the sedan I own.

Buy the expensive APS-C camera with expensive lenses, and guess what - it doesn't do MPEG2 either, so you will continue to complain, but luckily for the rest of us, on some Samsung forum instead.
01-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #747
Veteran Member

I'd much rather stay with Pentax if they tried to stay competitive. Also I shoot maybe 60% stills and 40% video... Something like that. I want a camera that does both well. And I want that the camera maker keeps improving the camera after it launched. Adding features. A proper tethering mode, proper expandability of the camera.

Pentax users haven't had real tethering since what, the K10D? And now comes Samsung, not a camera brand, and easily leapfrogs everyone?

I'd be fine with h264 if it is properly implemented, with a focus on quality rather than file sizes. Or the Samsung's h265. Since it is well done. The thing is Pentax had proper MJPEG (not MPEG2), that worked really well, and decided to replace it with something that doesn't work. Imagine Pentax replacing raw with JPEG. No more raw possible. And the JPEGs are heavily compressed.
01-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #748
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Also I shoot maybe 60% stills and 40% video.
You have changed your story.

Pentax users haven't had real tethering since what, the K10D? And now comes Samsung, not a camera brand, and easily leapfrogs everyone?
I have Samsung tethering on my Mini NX and it offers little more than the Flu Card.

But don't let us stop you ... you're free to go, I'll take your K-mount lenses off you safely! :-)
01-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #749
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You have changed your story.

I have Samsung tethering on my Mini NX and it offers little more than the Flu Card.

But don't let us stop you ... you're free to go, I'll take your K-mount lenses off you safely! :-)
I previously said 50:50, it's probably leaning a bit towards stills though.

I am talking about the just released SDK that allows tethering. That should give some pretty decent tethering. Pentax was asked to do the same, AFAIK, and they didn't want to do it.

I hope with the just shown camera Pentax will show they are heading in the right direction.
01-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #750
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And it is supposed to be built like a Canon 1D X... Just smaller.
Do I take it from this statement that you haven't even used the NX-1? I certainly wouldn't be able to post about a camera I'd never used with that much conviction.

It looks good. The firmware update looks great, but coming so soon after the release, I can't imagine it is in response to user requests. It looks like features they hadn't been able to implement in the initial firmware but intended from the beginning. Ricoh does have a good record of responding to user requests with the GR and the 645z.

Regarding the SDK, how many of us are able and willing to develop an application for a particular camera model or series? What company would spend money developing an application for a limited number of advanced cameras, as opposed to a universal platform like Android or iOS, which have hundreds of millions of users. I think it's a non-starter for any company but Canon and Nikon. I think a better approach for Pentax or Samsung would be to give users an advanced way of customising the camera's operation but provide it themselves.

I think that mirrorless cameras are always going to better for video than DSLRs, because the whole way that DSLRs operate seems at odds with continuous video capture. The Sony SLT system is a good compromise but has its drawbacks too. We don't know what Pentax will do about this, but I think they will do something.