Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #751
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Regarding the SDK, how many of us are able and willing to develop an application for a particular camera model or series? What company would spend money developing an application for a limited number of advanced cameras, as opposed to a universal platform like Android or iOS, which have hundreds of millions of users. I think it's a non-starter for any company but Canon and Nikon. I think a better approach for Pentax or Samsung would be to give users an advanced way of customising the camera's operation but provide it themselves.
Considering the amount of DIY hardware work displayed on the Q-family pages here, it is quite possible that some of us might also do something with the software.

01-10-2015, 11:28 AM   #752
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Do I take it from this statement that you haven't even used the NX-1? I certainly wouldn't be able to post about a camera I'd never used with that much conviction.

It looks good. The firmware update looks great, but coming so soon after the release, I can't imagine it is in response to user requests. It looks like features they hadn't been able to implement in the initial firmware but intended from the beginning. Ricoh does have a good record of responding to user requests with the GR and the 645z.

Regarding the SDK, how many of us are able and willing to develop an application for a particular camera model or series? What company would spend money developing an application for a limited number of advanced cameras, as opposed to a universal platform like Android or iOS, which have hundreds of millions of users. I think it's a non-starter for any company but Canon and Nikon. I think a better approach for Pentax or Samsung would be to give users an advanced way of customising the camera's operation but provide it themselves.

I think that mirrorless cameras are always going to better for video than DSLRs, because the whole way that DSLRs operate seems at odds with continuous video capture. The Sony SLT system is a good compromise but has its drawbacks too. We don't know what Pentax will do about this, but I think they will do something.
I haven't yet, unfortunately. Haven't been able to find a shop that sells them... But everything I've read, seen etc. sounds very good. Clearly Samsung has put a lot of effort into it, and they wouldn't if they aren't serious. Combine that, with the technical expertise Samsung has, and the brand recognition, and Pentax, as well as Canon and Nikon are threatened.

Perhaps, yes. Perhaps they just finished what they were intending to do in the first place... but consider that what they are doing is what people actually want. It's like they have taken a camera with Magic Lantern and looked at it. As if they have asked videographers and cinematographers what they want. Photographers too of course. It's very different from Pentax' approach, IMHO, which seems to be much more internal. The NX1 has a rather complete feature set, and features that make sense.

Enough people, I suppose. There are quite a few devs in the Pentax community who would want to have certain features implemented and are able to do so. And there are commercial tethering software suppliers AFAIK that say they don't support Pentax because Pentax doesn't let them. Well, Samsung does.

I think that for video it is certainly true that mirrorless cameras are better, but I think the same will eventually be true for stills.

The latest teases from Pentax IMHO show that Pentax won't do mirrorless, at not with a new mount. Why would they introduce a smaller 18-50 kit lens that clearly tries to disarm mirrorless fans... "you can have small lenses for DSLRs too!". They are trying to do mirrorless cameras without dropping the mirror. And for the moment I think that's a decent strategy, but they are pushing back a possible switch to mirrorless (that, I think, has to come). So when they do switch, other brands will have a massive head start in terms of ecosystem. It could leave them in a bad position they may not recover from.
01-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #753
Pentaxian

The Hype is strong in that one
From all the MILCs I've tried, the NX1 feels closest to a SLR (without being one, of course). It feels fast, indeed; at its price they could afford to include some serious processing power. It feels solid - not K-3-solid IMO, but not bad at all.
I'd say it would make a very good subject for the Non-Pentax Cameras section
01-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #754

A new pentax camera with more af points, faster tracking software or group focusing.. (cross points please). fps increase when in focus priority mode!! I dont ever use the video on my dslr i have a cell phone and a go pro.. I want to shoot sports, soccer, hockey. I need a 2.8. 70-200mm.. I pray everyday for pentax to bring something out that will allow me to hopefully use the k3 for sports. So far they do not offer anything fast enough to shoot!!! I think the noise is pretty good in the k3 and quite possibly would be usable if they had a FAST 70-200mm lens. I would pay big bucks for it. The old days with the heavy glass and BIG pentax logo everyone knew what it was.. Bring those days back!!!!

Last edited by harrisonww; 01-10-2015 at 03:22 PM.
01-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #755
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by harrisonww Quote
I want to shoot sports, soccer, hockey. I need a 2.8. 70-200mm..
I can recommend the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for sports, Harrison!
01-10-2015, 11:41 PM   #756
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I can recommend the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for sports, Harrison!
He mentioned he wanted a FAST 70-200mm. It depends on his definition of fast.
Fast meaning a f2.8 aperture or fast focusing.
i had that Tamron for a while. Optics were fabulous and of course it had that 2.8 aperture...but it was dog slow to focus. Almost annoyingly so. I think a comparison was done of various 70-200mm lenses on this board and that conclusion was echoed on there as well.
01-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #757
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
He mentioned he wanted a FAST 70-200mm. It depends on his definition of fast.
On Canon, it's reportedly slower than either the Sigma or home brand equivalents, Cali.

But on Pentax, it's screwdrive, so apparently faster than its Sigma's HSM rival.

Of course, if you had an older body, the screw drive is weaker than current models.

The Tammy's served me well on the K-30 and K-S1 for football, cricket and cycling, including the toughest AF situation of all - tracking fast approaching subjects!

It's ready for a Pentax full frame release if/when it comes.

Last edited by clackers; 01-11-2015 at 04:30 AM.
01-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #758

No offense guys but the image quality between the sigma and the tamron is not even close. I dont want to sound super picky but Pentax needs to come out with something similar to canons 70-200 2.8 is II USM or nikons Nikkor 70-200mm VR II lens. Its 2015, can we not get a lens that has built in focus, image stabilization (for sports), weather sealing, 9 blades, silent motor.... I read other photo forums all the time and everytime somebody asks what is everyones favorite lens.. its a 70-200mm either nikon on canon. For portraits, music, sports, weddings. Pentax SDM lens were a joke, insanely slow and they broke faster than pentax could repair them. We need to go in the direction of a superior lineup of lenses. What good is a decent camera if you have crappy glass, pentax has some well built lenses however it has nothing to come close to rivaling canikons 70-200mm's. ;(
01-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #759
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No offense guys but the image quality between the sigma and the tamron is not even close. I dont want to sound super picky but Pentax needs to come out with something similar to canons 70-200 2.8 is II USM or nikons Nikkor 70-200mm VR II lens. Its 2015, can we not get a lens that has built in focus, image stabilization (for sports), weather sealing, 9 blades, silent motor.... I read other photo forums all the time and everytime somebody asks what is everyones favorite lens.. its a 70-200mm either nikon on canon. For portraits, music, sports, weddings. Pentax SDM lens were a joke, insanely slow and they broke faster than pentax could repair them. We need to go in the direction of a superior lineup of lenses. What good is a decent camera if you have crappy glass, pentax has some well built lenses however it has nothing to come close to rivaling canikons 70-200mm's. ;(
I wonder how many $2K+ lenses Pentax could sell.
01-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #760
Pentaxian

No offense guys but the image quality between the sigma and the tamron is not even close.
Close to what? I'm impressed with my Tamron's IQ.
If you said AF speed or WR or build quality, fine, but IQ? I'd like to see that backed up with some tests.
01-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #761
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

. For portraits, music, sports, weddings. Pentax SDM lens were a joke, insanely slow and they broke faster than pentax could repair them. We need to go in the direction of a superior lineup of lenses. What good is a decent camera if you have crappy glass, pentax has some well built lenses however it has nothing to come close to rivaling canikons 70-200mm's. ;(

Harrison, I can tell you the APS-C equivalent of the 70-200 is the DA* 50-135, and it's a superb lens - internal focus, internal zoom, Pentax stabilization, great coatings (check out the microcontrast!), 9 rounded blades, weather sealed, silent SDM.

Mine I acquired cheaply because it was a bad example where SDM *had* packed up on it, so it's been converted to screwdrive and is nice and quick to focus (if noisier). Bargain - you will not get the chance to hoodwink a Canikon 70-200 owner into selling at below worth!

I have no concern if I'm caught with it on my lens instead of the FA77:

Last edited by clackers; 01-11-2015 at 04:02 PM.
01-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #762

The question of would pentax be able to sell 70-200mm is a good question. If they sold for 2000 I assume only professional pentax users (which are few) and prosumers with deep pockets would buy.

I am not looking for apc to full frame equivalent. I dont want the 50-135 2.8 I have used it and is it way to sluggish for sports. I know having a 70-200mm on a apc will make it 120-290mm ish which is great, less cropping. On the k3 It has enough megapixels to crop quite a bit but I dont want to crop half my image shooting soccer games or hockey. APC + 70-200mm is perfect.

Tamrons user arguements with how it performs and its iq. I have read many reviews on both the sigma and the tamron 70-200mm's, my friends who shoot both canon and nikon have had both zooms. The image quality on the tamron is not as sharp as the sigma in the shots that I have seen and there is horrible purple fringing. Is it really so much to ask from pentax to produce a fast high quality zoom? Im having fun with this forum because im 90% sure thats what the new lenses are going to be... a 70-200mm and a 100-400mm. hopefully a 2.8 and a variable.

The sdm on the 50-135 is so prone to failure I wouldnt consider buying the lens used or new.

If anyone wants to say tamron can shoot sports as well as the canon or nikon 70-200mm I would love to see a gopro video or some true action shots.

It doesnt feel good to disagree with people backing tamron or pentax users but I just dont think anything they have is even close to canons 70-200mm which i have used on the 5D mark II and 7D. Its a must have lens for sports, and anyone shooting portraits, music or wildlife has to agree.
01-11-2015, 04:34 PM   #763
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It doesnt feel good to disagree with people backing tamron or pentax users but I just dont think anything they have is even close to canons 70-200mm which i have used on the 5D mark II and 7D. Its a must have lens for sports, and anyone shooting portraits, music or wildlife has to agree.

There are lots of opinions, Harrison, and others don't agree with you:

01-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #764

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
There are lots of opinions, Harrison, and others don't agree with you:

BEST 70-200mm f2.8 lens - YouTube
Not sure if you have watched all of his videos I have subscribed to him and others watching them say Tamron is a close runner up when it comes to iq. But my main point was FAST.. THIS LENS IS NOT FAST

http://youtu.be/cD3-LNyS6Dk?t=5m19s

---------- Post added 01-11-15 at 07:08 PM ----------

It really doenst matter if you think tamron can do the job or not. Im not going to buy a tamron lens for sports. The forum says what should pentax do next. I think what they should do is bring out a 70-200mm 2.8 that has a quiet ultra sonic motor and some heafty build qualities. Based on whats behind the glass at ces I think that may be what they have.
01-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #765
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

But my main point was FAST.. THIS LENS IS NOT FAST
Again, how would you know? Do you own it?

It's already been pointed out to you that on Canon as tested it has own (slow) lens motors.

But that's not true in its K-mount - see above.

Those cyclists are moving at around 50kmh on the straight of a street criterium circuit - and I'm an Average Joe, not a real photographer.

In any event, I think the coming Pentax lens is promising, but it won't come at a nice cost.

Thank goodness there's an alternative. :-)