Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #811
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
MIrrorless is different, though. K-mount is, first and foremost, a "full frame" mount. Mirrorless carries with it the connotation of being lighter and thinner than DSLR. It seems to me that, wrt mirrorless other than Q, Pentax is "reserving the right to play" rather than leading or participating. So based on that and the fact that they recently have been rolling out new cameras and focusing on the FF camera - and there has to be a K-3 replacement, too, right? - K-mount mirrorless within the next couple of years is a no-go.

I'd like to be wrong, though. I like mirrorless, and I like my K-01.
I can never see myself carrying around a heavy large Canikon camera/lens. Pentax used to have this ethos for building smaller quality cameras with WR. Part of their niche market has gone away to the smaller lighter mirrorless camera mfrs.

What should Pentax do? Its been evident to me for sometime that finally, the K3 successor needs to come out with a superlative mirrorless APS format.

At our club's monthly meeting, a friend came in with an A7II and a Tamron 150-600 sharp lens (this is the F5-f6.3 lens) We passed it around taking pictures with it handheld. Nice. Pentax needs to get on the mirrorless bandwagon and stop following Canikon down the drain. They did it with the Q, i know they can do it with the K3. Once they get the K3 moded, they can put out a mirrorless FF

Thats what Pentax should do. Will they do it - probably not

03-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #812
Site Supporter

And hopefully not.
No other "me too" mirrorless please.
Did you even think about carrying 150-600mm + Sony A7 for hours or day long bird-hunting sessions ?
Or if you think you didn't try - just too painfull and pointless as far as ergonomy, power autonomy or practicability are concerned...
03-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #813
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In case Ricoh knows not what to do next, it is time for them to consult Baldrick.
He could come with a plan far more cunning that issuing a K-01 with no features, or K-S1 with 2x overpriced lack of features.

03-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #814
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
And hopefully not.
Did you even think about carrying 150-600mm + Sony A7 for hours or day long bird-hunting sessions ?
Or if you think you didn't try - just too painfull and pointless as far as ergonomy, power autonomy or practicability are concerned...
I have no interest whatsoever in hunting birds. A compact system has advantages for other shooters.

Also just because it is mirrorless it doesn't mean it has to be unergonomic. You can design a mirrorless like a DSLR, just with the lens closer towards the screen, but keeping the same grip, dials and controls. Overall it will be a smaller, lighter package, but one that is still nice to use.

Pentax can also take a clue from Canon:

03-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #815
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Also just because it is mirrorless it doesn't mean it has to be unergonomic. You can design a mirrorless like a DSLR, just with the lens closer towards the screen, but keeping the same grip, dials and controls. Overall it will be a smaller, lighter package, but one that is still nice to use.

Often times people act like "ergonomic" is objective instead of subjective.
03-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #816
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
And hopefully not.
I guess I don't understand why an MILC would be worse than a DSLR ... in either case, I would probably be carrying a lens with a camera hung on the end.
03-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #817
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I don't want a mirrorless Pentax!
03-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #818
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I don't want a mirrorless Pentax!
Then don't buy the Q. Problem solved.

03-03-2015, 11:54 PM   #819
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
In case Ricoh knows not what to do next, it is time for them to consult Baldrick.
He could come with a plan far more cunning that issuing a K-01 with no features, or K-S1 with 2x overpriced lack of features.

Ricoh should consult Baldrick to come with a better plan than K-S1

Excellent.
K mount mirrorless is DEFINITELY NOT another mee-too mirrorless, and this "aborted concept" further to K-01 excesses is just a mistake...
The Q system is NEITHER, and is ALSO a very good concept...
03-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #820
Forum Member

What about a Mirrorless system based on the Micro 4/3rds sensor. Panasonic and Olympus seem to be doing alright with it, especially Oly with their retro designs.
Pentax have plenty of retro designs they can use...
03-04-2015, 12:48 AM   #821
Pentaxian

What about supporting a competitor's mount? Would it help them to enter a mount for which there are lots of cameras and lenses (most of them heavily discounted)? Why would one buy a "retro" Pentax, when they can get a "retro" Olympus, cheaper?

It's not really different than going F-mount for DSLRs.
03-04-2015, 01:49 AM   #822
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Then don't buy the Q. Problem solved.
Already have a Q and two Q7s - that's why I don't need another Pentax mirrorless! I was really talking about a mirrorless K mount, of course (K-01 not withstanding): I don't mind EVFs, and they have some advantages, but I never feel I'm looking at the real scene with one of them. I feel sort of detached from the process, and I hope there will always be a place for mirrored cameras. After all, rangefinders have survived (just). But if that's what it takes to keep Pentax in business, so be it, but I think it will be a great shame. Anyway, I have enough DSLRs to last me for many years, and I don't think they're going away any time soon, despite the braying of the mirrorless zealots.
03-04-2015, 02:02 AM   #823
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Already have a Q and two Q7s
ok, maybe i can ask you. Maybe this thread is not the place to ask, but briefly: What is the real attraction for the Q? Why would one buy it?
I just don't get it. Probably because i never went out with one...
03-04-2015, 05:18 AM   #824
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
ok, maybe i can ask you. Maybe this thread is not the place to ask, but briefly: What is the real attraction for the Q? Why would one buy it?
I just don't get it. Probably because i never went out with one...
It's fun; it's a Pentax; it's IQ is good enough for most purposes; it's tiny and light; it's lenses are small, light and good; and it's cute
03-04-2015, 06:21 AM   #825

Is it useful a camera with interchangeable lenses but with the sensor size so small and no viewfinder?