Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 111 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #1036
Pentaxian

The thing is, you cannot say Sony E is better supported just because Sigma launched a few lenses for it. That 70-200 f/2.8 which is no longer available in K-mount, it's possible we won't see a Sony FE version. The Art 50mm is not made for FE. Lenses made for Pentax like the 18-35 f/1.8 or the 35mm f/1.4 are not made for Sony E. OTOH, all Sigma lenses for Sony E are cheap stuff.

Not that I care; I'm fine with only using Pentax lenses.

03-21-2015, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #1037
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The thing is, you cannot say Sony E is better supported just because Sigma launched a few lenses for it.
I never said that. I posted an interview where Sigma said:

"Can you give us an idea of your current priorities?"

"DSLRs first, particularly Canon and Nikon, since most of our customers use those systems. And after that mirrorless. Sony FE-mount."

What I am saying is that in the future you are going to see more Sony FE products from Sigma, and unless Ricoh can work some magic you are going to see less K-mount support. You are probably going to see less support for Sony A-mount as well and for the same reason. The current trend is for more support for FE and less for K-mount. Can Ricoh change that? Maybe maybe not.
03-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #1038
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm not sure they worked very hard, Phil.
b&h sells 37 sigma lenses that will fit sony mirrorless cameras.

6 sony e-mount
31 sony a-mount
19 of which are for full frame

24 pentax k-mount
only 12 of those 24 k-mount sigmas are for full frame, and probably every one of those designs is about as old as dirt.

SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video

Last edited by osv; 03-21-2015 at 07:28 PM.
03-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #1039
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote

6 sony e-mount

Madly typing again without thinking, Osv? You are so lazy. :thumbdown:

Look at your own - what shall we charitably call it? - "research".

The six lenses are in fact three lenses, silver and black versions.

The ones I mentioned above.

Who do you expect to take your trolling seriously?

Last edited by clackers; 03-21-2015 at 07:44 PM.
03-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #1040
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The six lenses are in fact three lenses, silver and black versions.
uh, ok, i'll change the stats just for you

b&h sells 34 sigma lenses that will fit sony mirrorless cameras.

3 sony e-mount
31 sony a-mount

24 pentax k-mount
only 12 of those 24 k-mount sigmas are for full frame, and probably every one of those designs is about as old as dirt.
03-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #1041
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
uh, ok, i'll change the stats just for you

Too late, Osv.

That's a black mark against your (cough) ... reputation.

Or is it silver?

Last edited by clackers; 03-21-2015 at 09:41 PM.
03-22-2015, 02:24 AM   #1042
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I never said that. [...] The current trend is for more support for FE and less for K-mount.

You cannot talk about "more support" until there will be more K-mount lenses than FE ones in production. You cannot talk about a "current trend" until it happens.

Talking about trends:
2012: 3 K, 2 E
2013: 1 K, 1 E (+ the previous 2 Es remade as A lenses)
2014: 2 K, 0 E
2015: 0:0 so far

P.S. If I'm not mistaken, 'particularly Canon and Nikon' do not exclude Pentax (nor Sony Alpha, which is still better supported than K and E). The interview might not say what you think it does

Last edited by Kunzite; 03-22-2015 at 02:35 AM.
03-22-2015, 02:41 AM   #1043
Pentaxian

In any case : E mount cannot be full compatible with SLR mount lenses, made by Sigma or others... without considerable adaptations
If Sigma is gonna support E mount, they will probably better have to redesign their lenses, like they did for m43's DN short list of 3 lenses (19-30-60mm).
So basically, there should be some "volume discrepancy" in favour of the K mount btw K mount new adaptations of existing lenses, and E mount new lenses to design...

Nonetheless, i don't think Ricoh's gonna give any tip to Sigma to help them accelerate K-mount recovery in their catalogue. + The point has already been widely discussed here in PF columns...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 03-22-2015 at 02:49 AM.
03-22-2015, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #1044
Veteran Member

6 sony e-mount
31 sony a-mount

24 pentax k-mount

The canon tilt-shifts also have complete functionality on sony mount.

May not matter for anybody else, but the 24 TS-E is pretty sweet.

Canon AF lenses can AF on sony, but I heard the AF was pretty slow.
03-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #1045
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
In any case : E mount cannot be full compatible with SLR mount lenses, made by Sigma or others... without considerable adaptations
how is a $12-$100 adapter "considerable adaptations"? they all bolt right up to e-mount, in seconds.

i do understand the need for full compatibility, because accurate manual focusing with an ovf is nearly impossible... so dslrs need autofocus, and of course they need autoexposure, because an ovf is not wysiwg, like an evf.

b&h sells 178 slr sigma lenses, and pretty much all of 'em mount up to sony e-mount cameras... there is even a nex adapter for the sigma sa mount.

there is no shortage of lenses for e-mount.

i have also heard that canon ef-mount is slow to focus with the adapter, which is a bummer :-(
03-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #1046
Pentaxian

Just curious: do you shoot without using your camera's metering system but by (somehow accurately) estimating the exposure using the EVF, because your EVF is WYSIWYG? If yes, do you have pictures to prove it?
03-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #1047
Veteran Member

Original Poster
because accurate manual focusing with an ovf is nearly impossible
I have no trouble accurately focusing with my K-3 viewfinder. Quick focusing is another matter.
03-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #1048
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I have no trouble accurately focusing with my K-3 viewfinder. Quick focusing is another matter.
perfect focusing with mirrorless means using magnification, which can be really slow.. but it's 14.3x on my a7r evf, vs. 0.95x on the k3 ovf, so it's not even comparable.

focus peaking is probably closer to the ovf focusing experience, but you can tweak things like the color and intensity of the peaking, use b/w in the evf instead of color, etc... the best scenario is when you can combine magnification with mild peaking.

there is a definite learning curve, but what i think that pentax should do is make this ff camera mirrorless.
03-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #1049
Pentaxian

how is a $12-$100 adapter "considerable adaptations"? they all bolt right up to e-mount, in seconds.

i do understand the need for full compatibility, :-(
I didn't expect you to answer so meaningfully and suddently your own question...

because accurate manual focusing with an ovf is nearly impossible... so dslrs need autofocus, and of course they need autoexposure, because an ovf is not wysiwg, like an evf.
You might not have sufficient knowledge or practise of high standard OVF.
No problem at all for acurate manual focussing with K-5 or K-3 afaik ; and the possibility to use either Live View/ focus peak or dedicated focussing screens are good alternatives when your eyes are struggling...
03-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #1050
osv
Veteran Member

I didn't expect you to answer so meaningfully and suddently your own question...
"i do understand the need for full compatibility for people who use dslrs"

i've never put an autofocus lens on my a7r.

You might not have sufficient knowledge or practise of high standard OVF.
i was just wondering if you've ever used a real evf mirrorless camera before.

the evf in the a7r is oled, and it's higher rez than the lcds on both the a7r and the k3.

it's also never in direct sunlight, so overall it's far superior to trying to shoot with the rear lcd screen.

the k3 was never designed to be used like a cell phone or tablet camera... the pentax q probably is tho? no evf or ovf?