Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 111 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #646
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote

As for MJPEG... I have the impression they have left it away because it SOUNDS outdated...
The encoder on current generation Milbeauts does h264, not MJPEG.

11-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #647
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The encoder on current generation Milbeauts does h264, not MJPEG.
I wonder if the capability was removed from the current Milbeaut, or if it is still there (as in the JPEG engine is fast enough, there's not much more to MJPEG, just a stream of JPEGs in a wrapper, and the K-3 does MJPEG for 4K timelapses). If the K-3 is still technically able to save MJPEG, giving that option would be nice. Confusing for some, and not so good for marketing, but good for real life usage. It's a bit like I frame modes in Canon cameras... I frame only is actually inferior and easier to do, takes up more space for no quality gain, but they sell it as an advantage as it's easier to edit, and it can have better quality (compared to encoders that use P and B frames too, but struggle at that... so that the image quality is good, then degrades, then when the next I frame appears gets instantly good again, degrades, ... good encoders don't have that problem). MJPEG is really just I frame h264 without the improved still image compression that comes with h264 (think JPEG2000 or so...).
11-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #648
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if the capability was removed from the current Milbeaut, or if it is still there .
My guess is removed, K. The processor likely has one hardware encoder, so it's one format or the other.

Mjpeg is no longer the favoured format for small recording devices.
11-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #649
Veteran Member

My guess is removed, K. The processor likely has one hardware encoder, so it's one format or the other.

Mjpeg is no longer the favoured format for small recording devices.
In that case it's a shame, but at least Nikon is getting good h264 files out of their Milbeaut (unless they use an additional chip for encoding). It's not 4K, and it's not raw, but it seems good enough. And the sensors deliver good work too... as long as Pentax offers this kind of quality, with mechanical SR finally activated again, and maybe a few firmware tweaks for video, they've got me. Even over a NX1.

11-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #650
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
kadawaji - You've mentioned the NX1 a few times. Can you point me to some samples from the NX1?

Samsung is the one brand of cameras that are not marketed in Japan, so I've never really tried them. Some of the NX lenses look quite good.

My only experience with Samsung was the sensor in the K20D, which was not all bad, but suffered in comparison to the Sony sensors of the time. I kind of have a sense of deja-vu about this sensor, because it also has a high pixel density and the only ISO test I've seen didn't look very good.
11-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #651
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

In that case it's a shame, but at least Nikon is getting good h264 files out of their Milbeaut (unless they use an additional chip for encoding).
I think it unlikely.

What happens after being captured is then software of a kind - whatever handling is done in Expeed vs Prime.

You seem really in love with the idea of the NX1 without much in the way of real world results. The Nikon D800 and Sony A7 also had a lot of hype about them.

Mind you, the specs of the 16-50 f2-2.8 are mouth watering!
11-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #652
Veteran Member

I think it unlikely.

What happens after being captured is then software of a kind - whatever handling is done in Expeed vs Prime.

You seem really in love with the idea of the NX1 without much in the way of real world results. The Nikon D800 and Sony A7 also had a lot of hype about them.

Mind you, the specs of the 16-50 f2-2.8 are mouth watering!
h264 encoding happens a lot in hardware in a camera... software only solutions are way too slow.

I do am in love with the idea of the NX1. First tests seem quite promising, and the footage that Joseph Gordon Lewitt shot, though very low resolution it was, seemed quite promising given that he shot handheld without any additional gear or lights... mind you there's still a lot that Samsung can screw up, of course.

11-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #653
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On reflection i think they should bring out a new D FA 50 f1.2.
11-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #654
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Would AF be good enough for f/1.2?

That said, I'd like to see them offer new batches of the A 50/1.2.
They only pulled it from the Japanese market quite recently.
My copy works very well with the focus peaking on the K-01.

11-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #655
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Would AF be good enough for f/1.2?
maybe with quick shift,
11-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #656
Veteran Member

So... this started in one of the video threads, and as I typed a reply I realized that it is going waaaaaaaay off topic. It's more appropriate here...

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
How much does it actually cost to put the video option in the camera?

I don't think this is a major thing for most Pentax users, but I don't think that anyone outside the little Pentax Bubble would enter.

Nowadays and the very near future:

• Video and maybe even 4K is a need.
  • wifi in the body
  • gps in the body
  • nfc in the body
  • connecting to social media directly from the body
  • SIM card to make it an all perpose photographic tool won't take many years.

I sometime do make video's, but I'm also not investing in a serious video-camera.
wow. Talking about progressive.

4K will come when Fujitsu offers it in the Milbeaut. Nikon will probably push them to do so, and hopefully Pentax can profit from it. Pentax doesn't have to be on the forefront with this, just perhaps time their products well (i.e. don't release a new high end camera JUST before they are able to make a 4K one.

WiFi... yes. I mean it seems like perhaps it is limited due to the body, but surely they can find a place for the antenna that isn't covered by metal. Phone makers can do it, and they make all metal phones these days that need many more antennas. WiFi built into the body can be much faster than what a SD card with WiFi gives us, and thus make it actually useful. What's important is how they make use of the WiFi. Is it just a gimmick, like more or less with the Flucard, or will it be a serious tool for tethering with full control over the camera. Will it only let us post photos on facebook and Instagram, or can you upload the files to your own server? Can you even have previews uploaded to a server, where someone else can pick the best photos and download them from the camera, while you are shooting? Think journalists and event shooters who work in a team and need to be FAST.

GPS... I'd find it useful, but running a GPS logging app on my phone isn't too big of a deal. It would enable them to do a few nifty tricks, but they might as well have the camera connect to a phone and use the GPS signal from that (through a companion app). I love that my photos are geotagged... I can see on a map where I have taken them. Especially when I travel that's very useful and handy.

NFC... more of a gimmick, unless you very much extend what's there. I could imagine NFC and WiFi, or BT equipped flashes that can communicate with the camera that way. You "tap" the flash you want to use on the camera, the flash automatically connects to the camera. The settings will then be transfered back and forth via WiFi or BT, and perhaps even the signal to shoot... if it's not precise enough maybe with a pre-flash from the body that comes exactly a couple of ms before the actual flash.
Then again, NFC doesn't cost much to implement (per unit), so eventually, why not. Makes setting up things easier.

Connecting to social media... more something for entry level cameras, IMHO. I'm not too interested in that, though if it were there I might occasionally use it.

SIM card... I don't see a need for that. You can always tether to your phone... I don't want to have 2 SIM cards, one just for my camera.

I'd like the ability to connect an external hard drive via USB 3.0, and to copy files to the hard drive. Say you're on holiday, you just bring one or two external drives. You can use them for backup, or to clear up space on your SD card. Viewing photos from there could also be possible. Also the ability to charge and power the camera via USB (please use micro USB, as everyone else). There is no need for an AC adapter, and over night you can just plug in the camera into a phone charger and that's it. Or if you run out of juice you can connect the camera to one of those batteries you use to charge phones on the go. I have a really good 10400 mAh one that I bought for around 10 Euro, that should keep my camera and my other gear going for a very long time. My non-original camera battery charger can take USB as power source, and it works great.

Basically I think Pentax should have a look at all these features and think about what a photographer or photographer/videographer, working or not, in the field, or a studio, or on holiday, would actually want to use. Features that are just there "because" don't need to be there... unless you make it so open that others can come up with a use for the feature... like a smartphone these days. The phone is just the basis... a group of radios and sensors, and a display, running an operating system that allows people to add more sensors, more functions the original creator could never have dreamed of. Like how smartphones can detect diseases just by taking a photo of your skin, how with additional sensors they can scan objects and rooms in 3D, etc.

Last edited by kadajawi; 11-16-2014 at 09:04 AM.
11-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #657
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ummh yes! that would be sweet if it was affordable.
11-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #658
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Ummh yes! that would be sweet if it was affordable.
f1.2, affordable, good: Pick any 2, you can't have 3.
11-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #659
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Ya, I know
11-16-2014, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #660
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Unless there is a dramatic change it would have to be a manual focus lens, so why not (as has been written) just make a couple thousand A50/1.2's with HD, Aerobright and Ghostless coatings in Limited barrels?

HD D-A 1:1.2 50mm