Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 111 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #781

Make a low light , WR, DSLR or Camcorder that also records 4K internal @ 10bit 422 under 150/mb sec to the card. That would stomp the NX1 & GH4 & A7s all at the same time. Add a cup holder, price point under $2K... and it will be a definite buy for me.

02-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #782
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well it's pretty much confirmed, Pentax has a new 70-200mm f/2.8 " Me too" Lens.
02-04-2015, 02:04 AM   #783
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Well it's pretty much confirmed, Pentax has a new 70-200mm f/2.8 " Me too" Lens.
I understand that it's a very popular focal range amongst wedding photographers, so it's really a no-brainer for a full-frame camera. I just hope it's more like the Canon than the Nikon, which suffers from quite startling focus breathing.
02-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #784
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
What aperture was he using? I could get nice shots out of the Sigma 150-500 at f11. I can get better shots out of the Sigma 500 4.5 at f4.5.
Derek, i went back to my friend and asked him the question - and the answer was:

QuoteQuote:
My preference is usually also Sigma, but their newly released 150 600 sport doesn’t come in the Sony flavor and costs twice as much.
Michael Reichman is taking his Tamron 150 600 on his Sony A7MII to Antarctica with him. If it’s good enough for him it should be good enough for me.

The mill shot was at f8, 1/5 second. Don’t recall the iso but think it was around 200.

So far very happy with this lens. I have several successful hand held shots at 600. Never been able to do that before.
Not what one would call a "pro" lens with the F5-6.3 range, but on a FF, much more pro-ish than on aps.

02-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #785
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Derek, i went back to my friend and asked him the question - and the answer was:

Not what one would call a "pro" lens with the F5-6.3 range, but on a FF, much more pro-ish than on aps.
No disparagement meant, but it is what I expected. Stopped down all the lower priced long lenses are pretty good. One pays dearly for a stop.

I've seen shots from this lens where fast shutter speeds, wide open, and it was ok but one would yearn for more sharpness. In those situations stopping down is rarely an option.
02-04-2015, 09:02 PM   #786
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
No disparagement meant, but it is what I expected. Stopped down all the lower priced long lenses are pretty good. One pays dearly for a stop.

I've seen shots from this lens where fast shutter speeds, wide open, and it was ok but one would yearn for more sharpness. In those situations stopping down is rarely an option.
I don't have any problem with your statement - it is what it is. Its pretty comparable with the Sigma 50-500 and weighs almost exactly the same. The Sigma costs about $1500 and the Tamron 1100. The interesting combination might be the Tamron and the A7S where 3 or 4 more stops of light would be easily available.

But with the new Pentax FF and the new 1.4 converter, there might well be no benefit from going to these low cost alternatives. Except we don't know the price of the 150-450 lens yet :-) Its really in a different league because of its fast f2.8 - what was i thinking.
03-01-2015, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #787
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear Pentax,

Would you please come up with a tilting LCD for the Q system too? It would be really helpful for a camera without a native viewfinder.

Also, I wish they'd get back at the idea of video by reviving the K-0x line!

03-01-2015, 11:53 PM   #788
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Dear Pentax,

Would you please come up with a tilting LCD for the Q system too? It would be really helpful for a camera without a native viewfinder.

Given the Q's history, I believe we are due for a new body later this year.

I've read/heard in interviews with Ricoh representatives that Q is the mirrorless line, so I don't think we'll see a K-0x revival.
03-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #789
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Given the Q's history, I believe we are due for a new body later this year.
I've read/heard in interviews with Ricoh representatives that Q is the mirrorless line, so I don't think we'll see a K-0x revival.
The Q is a mirrorless line. I have a comprehensive Q system, and it isn't a substitute for potentially innovative new cameras in the K range.
03-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #790
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Dear Pentax,

I don't think that they should split up video and stills and do a dedicated video focused mirrorless line (akin to the Cinema EOS). Pentax doesn't have the expertise for that. Improved video in their regular bodies, yes. But something dedicated... maybe eventually, one day, but I'd rather see some of that functionality in their DSLRs.
03-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #791
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
The Q is a mirrorless line. I have a comprehensive Q system, and it isn't a substitute for potentially innovative new cameras in the K range.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that Ricoh reps have stated that the Q is the mirrorless line.
03-03-2015, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #792
Pentaxian

Yes, but what I'm saying is that Ricoh reps have stated that the Q is the mirrorless line.
Don't be fooled by marketing postures.

They also used to say that 645 was the solution for those who want a bigger sensor than APS-C and then the mock-up of a 24x36 camera was shown at CP+.
03-03-2015, 12:27 AM   #793
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Don't be fooled by marketing postures.

They also used to say that 645 was the solution for those who want a bigger sensor than APS-C and then the mock-up of a 24x36 camera was shown at CP+.
I understand what you are saying, I would expect Ricoh/Pentax to review their stance on mirrorless periodically, but I'd be truly surprised at a K-mount mirrorless that echoed the K-01's ethos. ANd most of us expected FF at some point, even though we had nearly 5 years of Pentax telling us that 645 was the step-up from APS-C... it just made too much sense for Pentax to develop FF, eventually.

MIrrorless is different, though. K-mount is, first and foremost, a "full frame" mount. Mirrorless carries with it the connotation of being lighter and thinner than DSLR. It seems to me that, wrt mirrorless other than Q, Pentax is "reserving the right to play" rather than leading or participating. So based on that and the fact that they recently have been rolling out new cameras and focusing on the FF camera - and there has to be a K-3 replacement, too, right? - K-mount mirrorless within the next couple of years is a no-go.

I'd like to be wrong, though. I like mirrorless, and I like my K-01.
03-03-2015, 03:10 AM   #794
JPT
Pentaxian

I really wouldn't draw any conclusions based on the use of "a" and "the" from a representative of a Japanese company. It's extremely difficult for a Japanese person to use those words correctly because they have no equivalent in their own language.
03-03-2015, 03:13 AM   #795
Veteran Member

I understand what you are saying, I would expect Ricoh/Pentax to review their stance on mirrorless periodically, but I'd be truly surprised at a K-mount mirrorless that echoed the K-01's ethos. ANd most of us expected FF at some point, even though we had nearly 5 years of Pentax telling us that 645 was the step-up from APS-C... it just made too much sense for Pentax to develop FF, eventually.

MIrrorless is different, though. K-mount is, first and foremost, a "full frame" mount. Mirrorless carries with it the connotation of being lighter and thinner than DSLR. It seems to me that, wrt mirrorless other than Q, Pentax is "reserving the right to play" rather than leading or participating. So based on that and the fact that they recently have been rolling out new cameras and focusing on the FF camera - and there has to be a K-3 replacement, too, right? - K-mount mirrorless within the next couple of years is a no-go.

I'd like to be wrong, though. I like mirrorless, and I like my K-01.
A Fuji spokesman recently said that he thought mirrorless would have cancelled the advantages of the DSLR within 2-3 years. So perhaps 2-3 years' time is what Pentax are thinking? Who knows. The Q won't last forever, its sensor is too small.