Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Try to have an entire interview WITHOUT MENTIONING FULL FRAME AT ALL.

Just to see whether their heads explode or something.
ha, nice one!

How about throwing out a phrase like: "Since you have no plans to release a full frame camera, how do you expect to get the 645 line cost down to compete in the predominantly FF enthusiast and semi-pro market?"

08-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, but seriously, ask about lenses between 21mm and 31mm. We need some primes there, one budget and one high end, hopefully WR!
DA* 28mm f2.0 WR with good close focus capabilities and "plastic" DA 24mm f2.8
And please ask about K-01 successor, mirrorless K-mount and XS lens series

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-15-2014 at 04:51 PM.
08-15-2014, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #78
Pentaxian

They will not say anything about lenses which are not:
- already on the market
- already announced, pending market launch
- on the public roadmap.
08-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #79
Pentaxian

- Any plans on expanding the DA line (non Limited) line of primes with other cost effective primes in the common focal lengths (28, 35, 50, 85, 100, 135, 200) that have faster apertures (1.4-2.0?) Even in plastic mount/screwdrive form
- Any plans on expanding the DA* line with high quality fast primes in the common focal lengths?
- Any plans on upping the flash sync speed on future bodies
- RAW capabilties of the WG series cameras... make it happen
- a WG with full manual and RAW capabilities.... make it happen
- Will there be a follow up to the MX-1?
- Will there be a follow up to the K-01 project? with EVF, and less "Marc"
- I got a coupon from 1987 for one free soft serve cone at the Calgary, AB McDonalds, would you like it?

08-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe someone in Colorado could tell us why the only marketing I've seen is the Ricoh banners surrounding the pitch in the English Premier League matches?
08-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They will not say anything about lenses which are not:
- already on the market
- already announced, pending market launch
- on the public roadmap.
They will not say anything of interest. Period.

At least this is my opinion. But who knows, maybe they proof me wrong.
08-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #82
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
- - Will there be a follow up to the K-01 project? with EVF, and less "Marc"
Plans for a mirrorless are about the only thing I'm interested in right now. If Pentax won't oblige, then I'll pick up an A7 when they drop below $1k.
08-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Plans for a mirrorless are about the only thing I'm interested in right now. If Pentax won't oblige, then I'll pick up an A7 when they drop below $1k.
While I wouldn't jump at a new DSLR unless it had an FF sensor. I would be very interested in knowing more about a mirrorless offering that would use K mount and have an EVF.

Really, the camera I would want is a K mount version of the Fuji XT-1. either APSC or FF I don't care. And no, just throwing an adapter on the XT1 wouldn't work for me, as I really enjoy the crutch that is AF.

08-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #84
Pentaxian

Mirrorless K-mount with OVF/EVF
08-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #85
mee
Site Supporter

On a more serious note, I'd be interested in knowing their take on Sigma dropping support for more lenses for K mount. What are their thoughts on the weak 3rd party support for new lenses today? Are they reaching out to build a larger lineup? Do they consider themselves an island?
08-15-2014, 04:06 PM   #86
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
On a more serious note, I'd be interested in knowing their take on Sigma dropping support for more lenses for K mount. What are their thoughts on the weak 3rd party support for new lenses today? Are they reaching out to build a larger lineup? Do they consider themselves an island?

I like you questions more but I found this from an earlier interview this year at CP+

Question 7: Over the course of the past few years we have seen a decline in third-party Pentax lens availability from manufacturers including Sigma, Tamron, and others. Do you see this as an issue and do you have any plans to expand third-party support in the future?

We cannot manage what third-party manufactures plan and produce, so we cannot reply to this question fully. However, we are ready to communicate with them.
Read more at: CP+ 2014 Interview with Pentax in Japan - CP+ 2014
08-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
They will not say anything of interest. Period.

At least this is my opinion. But who knows, maybe they proof me wrong.
Well... given the right questions and freedom to say what little they can, I'm sure they would have something interesting for us. But, would we notice the hints before they happens?
They talked in the past interviews about K-3's AF improvements, about new flashes with LED lights and other things. They also told us not to expect lenses faster than 1.4, for now. And that they're working on "full frame", but it's not ready yet.
08-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #88
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
I like you questions more but I found this from an earlier interview this year at CP+

Question 7: Over the course of the past few years we have seen a decline in third-party Pentax lens availability from manufacturers including Sigma, Tamron, and others. Do you see this as an issue and do you have any plans to expand third-party support in the future?

We cannot manage what third-party manufactures plan and produce, so we cannot reply to this question fully. However, we are ready to communicate with them.
Read more at: CP+ 2014 Interview with Pentax in Japan - CP+ 2014
Good find and thanks for digging that up. But that could be a problem.. if Pentax is saying to call them but Sigma/Tamron are saying call us Pentax.

They're both waiting for a phone call that never occurs.

It makes me wonder about Sigma specifically though... if they are saying K mount doesn't sell well enough to keep certain already made lenses in stock in K mount, then does this mean the production line that K mount is stamped on is in use for F or EF mounts? I mean I'd think the lens is the same be it for Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Pentax.. the main difference is in the mount and the electronics to talk to the mount (perhaps the firmware) so why wouldn't you as Sigma keep K L M N or any other mount available if the majority of the work is already done. (and in this case the lenses are already available in K mount so ALL of the work is done)

I wonder if there is more to it than Sigma's official response.. or even Ricoh's for that matter.
08-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #89
Lens Buying Addict

Lenses are made in batches and held in inventory for order. Allocation of production time must go to products that will generate highest (marginal) profit over time.

Inventory carry is a cost. Line set-up and changeover is a cost.

If the projected volume is too low to justify the changeover cost, and the justifiable 'run' volume to justify the changeover cost projects too large an inventory (too long an inventory hold to clear the stock) - then the lens isn't made in K-mount.
08-16-2014, 12:43 AM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

I wonder if there is more to it than Sigma's official response.. or even Ricoh's for that matter.
I would not be surprised if the lack of marketing, information and communication from Ricoh was designed deliberately to discourage all third party manufacturer's support of Pentax mount(s). As we could see from the flashes recently. Then all the money goes straight into Ricoh's pockets. They only need to make interesting enough lenses with some quirk others don't bother with (WR for example, superior coating, quick shift, etc.) to get all the bucks spent on lenses for any Pentax camera right into their pockets.
So when they say that they are open to talks, I actually believe they can't be bothered at all.