Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #106
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here's $100,000 for 'development' of the K-mount version.
And taking those lenses up in the Ricoh webstore.

08-16-2014, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What I don't understand is how exactly Ricoh should support/persuade/whatever third-party manufacturers like Sigma. All right, Ricoh should call Sigma and say... what?

Here is a K Mount Developer's Kit (KMDK) to help you get started.....

08-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

I'd be happier if Ricoh applied a KMDK to the next camera.
08-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #109
Veteran Member

1. Does Ricoh feel that their R&D efforts should be concentrated on formats that other manufacturers do not already have a large market share in and have already saturated the market with? *
  2. Does Ricoh see medium format as an opportunity to gain a foothold in the high end commercial market where Canon and Nikon are non-entities?
  3. Does Ricoh envision medium format as the future of professional, commercial, digital photography and their current smaller formats as sufficient for consumer markets? **
  4. What does Ricoh see as the primary market for the Pentax brand overall?
  5. What benefits has Pentax technology brought to their other divisions?
  6. When can we (if ever) expect a fast wide prime for the Q series?
  7. Can I take a picture of you with a Pentax QS-1 in your pocket?

*See what I did there?
** Did it again, didn't I?

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 08-16-2014 at 09:08 AM.
08-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #110
Pentaxian

A bribe? Taking Sigma top managers to some nice resort, perhaps, drink high quality sake, have fun in various ways and then "hey, why are there so few K-mount Sigma lenses?"
That could work, but I'm not sure $100,000 would be enough...

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe it is time to upgrade the current K-mount to a full electronic mount called KAF3 (still backward compatible with old lenses). So new lenses don't use the lever for aperture but also do that electronic.
That was my question for CP+, which made into the interview; except that I forgot to explicitly mention the background compatibility assumption.
The answer?
"It’s true that if we were to modernize the mount specifications and removed the legacy linkage we could save a lot of work for lens development and manufacturing. However, compatibility with existing lenses and accessories is as important as our readiness for the future. That’s why we always care about compatibility. We will not suddenly stop compatibility with current products."
They might do it if there's a strong reason for this and can still keep backwards compatibility. I don't think they have plans for that now.

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Sorry but Sigma built their own, some decades ago.
08-16-2014, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

Sigma is the last japanese glass-maker to sell new attractive products in K mount.
Isn īt that a good reason enough to keep in touch with them ?
So far, with barely one new AND unexciting Pentax lens every year, there is no incentive to develop the K- mount users base ...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-16-2014 at 10:10 AM.
08-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe showing them the money would be the best way to obtain a productive interview with Pentax? On sitting down with the Pentax reps, the interviewer could simply wave a very large wad of notes and wink knowingly but otherwise say nothing. The reps would have no means of knowing that all except the first and last notes have "Monopoly Games Ltd" printed on them. All other methods short of turning up with "My close friend, Torquemada" seem to have been tried without any success.

08-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears you have a large inventory of legacy FA 645 Lenses. Your new cropped 645Z helps to draw down that lens inventory, which is cash flow straight to the bottom line.

Q: Do you have a large inventory of FA FF lenses?
08-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #114
Pentaxian

They don't even do that with Adobe to speed up the development of lens profiles, as do the other lens makers.
08-16-2014, 03:35 PM - 3 Likes   #115
Banned

Frankly I see little point in interviewing them. It's the same old charade time after time, and they clearly don't want to share any sort of real vision or information with people. We can all pretty much write the script for any interview beforehand.

Maybe, if no-one asked them for an interview, they'd realise we're all tired of the BS....
08-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
They don't even do that with Adobe to speed up the development of lens profiles, as do the other lens makers.
Adobe are bigger bullies than Apple.
08-16-2014, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Frankly I see little point in interviewing them. It's the same old charade time after time, and they clearly don't want to share any sort of real vision or information with people. We can all pretty much write the script for any interview beforehand.

Maybe, if no-one asked them for an interview, they'd realise we're all tired of the BS....
+1 Sane remarks!
08-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #118
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
+1 Sane remarks!
Actually, they'd probably be happy if we didn't so they wouldn't have to spend time drafting a canned response.
08-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #119
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe it is time to upgrade the current K-mount to a full electronic mount called KAF3 (still backward compatible with old lenses). So new lenses don't use the lever for aperture but also do that electronic.
KAF3 is already in use (used on lenses with AF-motor and no screw drive).

I believe they would have to design two new versions of the k-mount to implement fully electronic mount on lenses, one for the camera and one for the lens. The new version of the mount on the camera would have include everything in the KAF2 mount + support lenses with fully electronic mount. They would still need full support for KAF2 and KAF3 lenses, so screw-drive and mechanical aperture control will still have to be included in cameras.

The version of the mount on lenses will have to remove all moving mechanics in the mount and add support for fully electronic control. So KAF4 for the camera and KAF5 for lenses. But I doubt that KAF5 lenses would be supported by older cameras (KAF2 and earlier).
08-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote

+1 too! Specially the last 2 letters