Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2014, 01:47 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
KAF3 is already in use (used on lenses with AF-motor and no screw drive).

I believe they would have to design two new versions of the k-mount to implement fully electronic mount on lenses, one for the camera and one for the lens. The new version of the mount on the camera would have include everything in the KAF2 mount + support lenses with fully electronic mount. They would still need full support for KAF2 and KAF3 lenses, so screw-drive and mechanical aperture control will still have to be included in cameras.

The version of the mount on lenses will have to remove all moving mechanics in the mount and add support for fully electronic control. So KAF4 for the camera and KAF5 for lenses. But I doubt that KAF5 lenses would be supported by older cameras (KAF2 and earlier).
New lenses certainly would not work on older cameras (which are already impacted by the absence of aperture ring anyway, sadly) but I'm not certain a new lens mount is required (if only for literature) . After all, there's a digital pin already, it may be able to transmit more than it already does (it does more now than in did in Z/MZ serie bodies already). On the body, well... if digital pin is sufficient, same thing but obviously the body should detect if there's a new lens and not actuate the mechanical linkage etc...
Same thing as now: the body does not actuate the screwdrive AF if there's an SDM lens. Rather simple to implement.

Oh, btw, a motor of some sort should be embedded in each lens meaning lenses would be even bigger. So for those who wants all modern lenses à la Canon, keep in mind that:
* AF in the body takes places (and breaks more easily)
* In lens SR takes place and more optical elements (price)
* In lens aperture control takes place.

Don't moan because Pentax lenses would be big... (but fully modern and supposedly better performing, indeed).

08-17-2014, 02:04 AM   #122
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Oh sorry, I mist the right number on the mount.

KAF3 is already in use (used on lenses with AF-motor and no screw drive).

I believe they would have to design two new versions of the k-mount to implement fully electronic mount on lenses, one for the camera and one for the lens. The new version of the mount on the camera would have include everything in the KAF2 mount + support lenses with fully electronic mount. They would still need full support for KAF2 and KAF3 lenses, so screw-drive and mechanical aperture control will still have to be included in cameras.

The version of the mount on lenses will have to remove all moving mechanics in the mount and add support for fully electronic control. So KAF4 for the camera and KAF5 for lenses. But I doubt that KAF5 lenses would be supported by older cameras (KAF2 and earlier).
I wouldn't mind that new lenses wo't be supported by older camera's. That is a matter of time when new camera's replace older ones. As long as old lenses are still supported.

---------- Post added 17-08-14 at 11:07 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Oh, btw, a motor of some sort should be embedded in each lens meaning lenses would be even bigger. So for those who wants all modern lenses à la Canon, keep in mind that:
* AF in the body takes places (and breaks more easily)
* In lens SR takes place and more optical elements (price)
* In lens aperture control takes place.

Don't moan because Pentax lenses would be big... (but fully modern and supposedly better performing, indeed).
Oh well leaving screwmount for new lenses is something I wouldn't mind. Keeping the inbody SR is an important one. So lenses don't grow that big, since they don't need the optical stabilisation inside.
08-17-2014, 02:53 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I wouldn't mind that new lenses wo't be supported by older camera's. That is a matter of time when new camera's replace older ones. As long as old lenses are still supported.
But it's a reason why Pentax hesitates doing this. It will make another hole in the compatibility between lenses and cameras. And sales on the new generation lenses would be very limited at the beginning, as few cameras will support them. It will probably take at least 5 years before they are available for a large majority of users.

If new lenses are released at the end of the year, with a "K-3 Super" to support them. There would probably be some upset users that feel they have been "cheated".
08-17-2014, 03:04 AM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO, there is no need for a new mount. There is a big need of new lenses, to cover the holes in Pentax line, holes that until now are covered by Sigma and Tamron lenses.

08-17-2014, 04:07 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Pentax users have been cheated for the longest time.
08-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #126
Pentaxian

What matters is not what they say, it's what they launch and/or officially announce. (I'll read the interview anyway, should PF get one, but really... show me the products!)
08-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
IMO, there is no need for a new mount. There is a big need of new lenses, to cover the holes in Pentax line, holes that until now are covered by Sigma and Tamron lenses.
Agreed 100%

---------- Post added 17-08-14 at 13:56 ----------

If new lenses are released at the end of the year, with a "K-3 Super" to support them. There would probably be some upset users that feel they have been "cheated".
Well, Pentax and Ricoh expressed themslves that compatibility was important.
If you buy into a system with that in mind and it breaks later, I'd be pretty pissed off, for good reasons.

The compatibility is sufficiently broken as it is now. Somehow, having to buy Samyang lens to get an aperture ring has something ironic.
I understand why, but somehow, this is wrong. That and the missing aperture simulator in the bodies.

08-17-2014, 05:59 AM   #128
Banned

Photos: Gallery
But it's a reason why Pentax hesitates doing this. It will make another hole in the compatibility between lenses and cameras. And sales on the new generation lenses would be very limited at the beginning, as few cameras will support them. It will probably take at least 5 years before they are available for a large majority of users.

Well start with the FF, some FF lenses, K-3 II and K-70/K-700 and there you have a full new line of camera's supporting the new mount.Don't be afraid for change in live.
08-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well start with the FF, some FF lenses, K-3 II and K-70/K-700 and there you have a full new line of camera's supporting the new mount.Don't be afraid for change in live.
Ron, what are you talking about? Did you know something? Or is just a guess?
08-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #130
Pentaxian

He's simply saying how they could change the mount; no information about Pentax actually doing it (or launching a FF) is involved.
08-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #131
Veteran Member

When Canon is coming wirh a new multilayer dual pixel sensor, when Sony has already three FF,and the fourth is on the way,, and others are making a lot of steps to new and innovative product, a change of the mount will be a one way ticket to other, more dynamic makers for many Pentax users.
08-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #132
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
When Canon is coming wirh a new multilayer dual pixel sensor, when Sony has already three FF,and the fourth is on the way,, and others are making a lot of steps to new and innovative product, a change of the mount will be a one way ticket to other, more dynamic makers for many Pentax users.
I think he meant a revision of the K mount and not an entirely different mount.
08-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #133
Pentaxian

Well, it's not exactly about a new mount but K-mount with electronic aperture control - and even this, I'm not sure if it's really necessary (perhaps for video?). It wouldn't be much different than the introduction of SDM lenses, except probably the lack of dual electronic+mechanical linkage aperture control lenses.
It won't be done without a very good reason, and then only in a way which would affect us the least.
08-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a little slow.... What needs from a technical point of view are missing with the existing K mount? What process, mechanical, electro-mechanical, or electronic is Pentax missing? I don't follow SONY or the others much (other than quality of output and glass quality). Is there a better exposure mode, lens usability issue, better optical performance available by changing the KAF2/3?

I guess I am asking to ascertain if the "change ideas" are video based, or something that could make picture-taking better? Is there a better "mousetrap"?
08-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #135
Veteran Member

I think (hope) that Ron is talking only theoretically about a mount change.

As I said before, IMO, Pentax don't need a new mount, but new lenses. A lot of them. And new cameras. And better, a new strategy, more dynamic, even aggressive, in developing new product. Now, there are more than 3 years since Ricoh bought Pentax, and Ricoh is a very powerful enterprise. So, lack of money, integrations, and other reasons, can no longer be a serious problem. The only problem can be the managing vision. But, I am still optimistic. We have a month until Photokina, and we will see if there is a change, not of the mount, but of their attitude.