Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #136
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
When Canon is coming wirh a new multilayer dual pixel sensor, when Sony has already three FF,and the fourth is on the way,, and others are making a lot of steps to new and innovative product, a change of the mount will be a one way ticket to other, more dynamic makers for many Pentax users.
I was talking about updating the K-mount to a full electronic mount (for new lenses) while keeping old lenses compatible. So not a new mount, but the next version K-mount KAF4.

08-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I was talking about updating the K-mount to a full electronic mount (for new lenses) while keeping old lenses compatible. So not a new mount, but the next version K-mount KAF4.
They also could (may they never do that) only use digital pin, disable completely the usual old contacts and those hypothetical new full frame lenses would *completely* unusable on any older Pentax cameras (Super/ProgramA, Z, P, MZ, SF...).
Just another example of cost cutting.
08-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the K-mount is central to Pentax, so whatever they do with it, they shouldn't cut corners. People already complained about the current version being "crippled." Compatibility should be their number one priority, and with modern technology, this should be doable. And the mount is "cheap", because all of their cameras will use it, will be based around it. Being cheap with the camera mount causes a lot of discomfort and saves very little money to the producer
08-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I think (hope) that Ron is talking only theoretically about a mount change.

As I said before, IMO, Pentax don't need a new mount, but new lenses. A lot of them. And new cameras. And better, a new strategy, more dynamic, even aggressive, in developing new product. Now, there are more than 3 years since Ricoh bought Pentax, and Ricoh is a very powerful enterprise. So, lack of money, integrations, and other reasons, can no longer be a serious problem. The only problem can be the managing vision. But, I am still optimistic. We have a month until Photokina, and we will see if there is a change, not of the mount, but of their attitude.
I'm sure he does (but I'll let Ron confirm). The discussion is hypothetical - can the K-mount become a mount capable of fully-electronic operation? All that's missing is the aperture control. If it would become necessary (my point wasn't about cost reduction, but technical reasons - perhaps finer, quieter aperture control), I'm sure the K-mount could make this step. But, I don't need this; the mechanical linkage works quite well.
And from the response given at CP+, I understand they don't see a technical issue with the mechanical linkage.

Regarding new lenses, that's a different issue - and in this case we can see an "immediate" need. I don't like speculating, but it doesn't seems realistic that Pentax would launch only one K-mount optical product this year (i.e. the converter).

08-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #140
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
They also could (may they never do that) only use digital pin, disable completely the usual old contacts and those hypothetical new full frame lenses would *completely* unusable on any older Pentax cameras (Super/ProgramA, Z, P, MZ, SF...).
Just another example of cost cutting.
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think the K-mount is central to Pentax, so whatever they do with it, they shouldn't cut corners. People already complained about the current version being "crippled." Compatibility should be their number one priority, and with modern technology, this should be doable. And the mount is "cheap", because all of their cameras will use it, will be based around it. Being cheap with the camera mount causes a lot of discomfort and saves very little money to the producer
Lenses like 17-70, 55 and 60-250 are already not completely compatable with older camera's, since they only have SDM for AF and no screwdriven AF. So it is not completely new. Important is that old lenses can be used on the new camera's. New lenses are then only fully functional on those new camera's. Takes time, but then we all have those new camera's.
08-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Lenses like 17-70, 55 and 60-250 are already not completely compatable with older camera's, since they only have SDM for AF and no screwdriven AF. So it is not completely new. Important is that old lenses can be used on the new camera's. New lenses are then only fully functional on those new camera's. Takes time, but then we all have those new camera's.
Sure but you still can use them manually.
If they remove the contacts there's nothing anymore: Z should be OK, SF to be checked, MZ should be OK, Super/Program/P series are out even manual focus.
Of course, those aperture ringless lenses are already unusable on older cams (K and M series) and partially usable/unusable (depends how you see things) : P and Tv only with SuperA, MZ-5/MZ-3/MZ-S

Personally, I don't give a cent about AF when working with analog so the SDM not working is no issue at all. I don't miss AF on my Wista either
08-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #142
Banned

No changes to the K-mount. Pretty please. It is bad enough we cannot use DA lenses on old bodies, including film bodies, because they don't change aperture electronically.

08-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too lazy to read through the entire thread ....

Has anyone addressed the "floppy-flappy mirror syndrome" inherent to the K3 as a potential question?

Cheers!
08-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #144
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Too lazy to read through the entire thread ....

Has anyone addressed the "floppy-flappy mirror syndrome" inherent to the K3 as a potential question?

Cheers!

I think it might have been between the suggestions of 'Ask them about FF' and 'Don't ask them about FF.'
08-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #145
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Lenses like 17-70, 55 and 60-250 are already not completely compatable with older camera's, since they only have SDM for AF and no screwdriven AF.

They do have screwdriven AF, Ron, but not by default.
08-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Well, it didn't take long for this thread to completey and totally derail...
08-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's only the first few SDM lenses that has both screw-drive and SDM. Later SDM (and DC) lenses lack screw-drive.
08-18-2014, 12:35 AM   #148
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It's only the first few SDM lenses that has both screw-drive and SDM. Later SDM (and DC) lenses lack screw-drive.
Ah, thanks for making that distinction, Fogel!
08-18-2014, 01:05 AM   #149
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well I was thinking, but at least 55mm and 17-70 only have SDM. No screwdriving in those lenses. About 60-250 I'm not totaly sure.
08-18-2014, 01:58 AM   #150

Hoya's / Ricoh's colour gamut

Or what's wrong with yellow, anyway?
Happen to be looking (right now) at the current cover photo of this site, why do all recent Pentax photos have that sickly-bluish cold tone?