Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #241
mee
Veteran Member

An actual question I would like to ask Ricoh/Pentax: Is there any development or research ongoing in enhancing high ISO performance (in terms of improved Image Quality/lesser Noise) with your APS-C based cameras?

09-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #242

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
An actual question I would like to ask Ricoh/Pentax: Is there any development or research ongoing in enhancing high ISO performance (in terms of improved Image Quality/lesser Noise) with your APS-C based cameras?
That's more a question for Sony
09-03-2014, 01:51 AM   #243

I'm not so much concentrated on FF but rather on working towards better AF (didn't Ricoh a year ago they were working on first in class AF? ) and new and faster, maybe as well affordable lenses. I'm more interested in building a aps-c based enthusiat system around the K-3 or maybe it's successor.
Cheers,

Ralf
09-03-2014, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #244
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My question:
"We remember what was said at CP+ (Pentax Confirms Full-Frame Plans at CP+ - Pentax Rumors | PentaxForums.com)
And, here we are at PhotoKina, and I am reminded of the rumours spread by Pentax Russia where they said "Full frame will be announced at PhotoKina 2014.
My question therefore: Is that a Pentax FF in your pocket, or are you just happy to see us?"

09-03-2014, 03:35 AM   #245
Forum Member

Would there be a battery grip to be released for the K-50?
09-03-2014, 03:44 AM   #246
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcagara08 Quote
Would there be a battery grip to be released for the K-50?
No, that's not possible because the underside of the K-50 does not have the necessary electrical connection for a battery grip. Well, it could be possible, but only with wifi capability and I doubt they'll go there.
09-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #247
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mazhe Quote
That's more a question for Sony
I would rather it be asked to Ricoh.

09-03-2014, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
Its a soul-less but very capable compact camera. It's the only "point and shoot" or pocketable camera that will work in low light well. I used it for a trip to Italy without taking the DSLR (worried about theft) and it worked fine. Sony packed it with features but the handling can be confusing, mostly because you can customize almost all the buttons and then forget what you did. (that may just be me). I'd say if you want a point and shoot that has 90% the image quality of a DSLR (minus dof, it equates to @ F8 on a FF).

I have mostly replaced it's use with the Fuji X100s. I get more keeper's with the Fuji and prefer the colors. The Fuji won't fit in a pocket but it's very light.

A few travel photo's using strictly the RX100:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51388332@N05/sets/72157633340465273/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/51388332@N05/sets/72157633363595334/
THX... Appreciate the detail!

---------- Post added 09-03-14 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Well, Ricoh Imaging is doing well despite USA market. And they say the grow sales as well.
Please note that some brands are niche, and Pentax is such a brand. Leica too. Fujifilm as well.
If they make 100,000 of K-3 cameras and find it a success, or a similar number of GRs, why would not 20,000 of FFs also be a success, if based on 100% of the same tech as the K-3?
The argument above you pose is illogical, and the restructure of the company signalised that the way to launch products on the market must be different to a classical scenario of a sheer market share. Restructure, sharing of cost and technology and components is the ticket for Ricoh Imaging to deliver an FF DSLR — or any other camera concept for that matter — despite US market's failure and despite lower presence factor in the West.
Great question on 100000 unit runs vs 20000 unit runs....20000 units would have a 4x higher R&D,Design,and acquisition overhead cost. Smaller the run, higher the sunk/fixed cost allocation and longer the recovery based on more units at marginal production cost. (Can you tell I worked in Industrial Mfg?)

The K-3 tech is based on 24mp requirements, APSc sensor sizing, and a host of other requirements. Battery life, processor, physical would all need to be an minimum revisited. Then robotic lines rebuilt/reconfigured, components sourced, etc. Guess (including 2-3 FF lenses_? $250mm USD. a Very big bet. $150mm without the lenses. Take 150mm sunk on 100000 units and you have $1500/ body (with profits $2250 per camera) add $2250 to 1500 and you have $3750 as a rough napkin price. On 20000 units you get $9,000 each to make a buck. Very risky. If they reused MZ-D or K-3 design wherever possible, cut the sunk costs to 60% you are still at $6,000 each on 20,000. A very Big gamble to make people feel better about lenses they already have, that work just as well on APSc. Put the ROI on DA* and LTD/HD/SDM/DC R&D already spent, and making blowaway DA*/HD glass (line needs work), 645z (needs big glass), and it gets cleat that reworking the K-01 as a FF ILC would be smarter and significantly less risky. IMHO...

Last edited by GlassJunkie; 09-03-2014 at 08:43 AM.
09-03-2014, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #249
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery
Only one question: Something like Ricoh GR but with WR or outdoor specification?
09-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #250
Forum Member

I would love to see a full frame camera,
make it mirrorless, compact full frame camera,
I know them japs are as innovative as hell
09-04-2014, 03:44 AM   #251
Veteran Member

Ok, on a serious note, could they re-explore the Ricoh GXR system?

As an enthusiast, i would appreciate leaf shutter lenses.. Imagine the Fuji x100s, only with interchangeable lenses/modules?

Sweeeeeeet max. sync speed boy~!
09-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Ok, on a serious note, could they re-explore the Ricoh GXR system?

As an enthusiast, i would appreciate leaf shutter lenses.. Imagine the Fuji x100s, only with interchangeable lenses/modules?

Sweeeeeeet max. sync speed boy~!
Yep, I've grabbed a few shots at 1/2000 with off camera flash with my X100s.
09-06-2014, 09:54 AM - 3 Likes   #253
Veteran Member

Service

Please find out if Ricoh is going to continue to solely use Precision Camera for repairs. There is an increasing rumble about their decision to leave CRIS. I never used CRIS but did use United Camera and Binocular in Illinois; they were an authorized repair shop. The only problem I had with them was last summer when Ricoh moved their warehouse and parts then were not available. They would email me or call during this time to give me updates...now that's service!

I don't expect Precision to be so CAREFUL withtheir customers, but they could at least respond to inquiries. Even a robo call/email to let folks know what's going on. The front end of their website really looks like they were a promising choice; I hope Ricoh looked a little deeper than the website but it's looking doubtful.

Signed: sick without my DA* 50-135!
09-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #254
Forum Member

I would really want to see an affordable full frame DSLR that can compete with a canon 6d and a nikon d600/610 especially with the pricing..hey don't behead or crucify me guys its just my 2 cents, mirrorless compact Full frame too
09-07-2014, 03:49 AM   #255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I am absolutely convinced, with absolutely no knowledge of Ricoh or of the market, that to succeed financially a FF dSLR must gain significant USA market share and volume. In order to gain such, the manufacturer must commit to lose millions of dollars on USA infrastructure, advertising, endorsements, pro support and B&M presence - just to encourage wealthy enthusiasts to enjoy status by association buying the camera - and then making it up downstream on low quality 'halo effect' consumer cameras..

IM imaginary HO Pentax decided with the LX that it would not make the investment, and thus discovered it would never truly succeed in the professional 36x24 market, espcially as Sports/Action journalism exploded on the scene. Consequently it began dismembering altogether the USA distribution infrastructure, which has proceeded to its logical and ridiculous extreme today.

Look at Pentax distribution infrastructure. Look at Pentax product structure (the quality). If my suppositions above are correct, given the condition of USA (and now EU and Canada) infrastructure and the high-quality consumer cameras, there will never be a K-mount Pentax FF dSLR.

That isn't to say Ricoh will never release a FF camera - but a FF K-mount Pentax dSLR just looks impossible to me.
If a FF is going to happen, it will be this year. This year Pentax will need to show the camera and have a reasonably close availability date - just like with the 645Z. An October release or never. Pentax will never ever come out and say that there will be NO FF - that it's a dead issue. It will always be studying the possibility. If the FF question is asked, the response will just be an extension of what was said in the years gone by - its worked since you are here asking the same basic question yet again. In fact, the Pentax folks are sitting in front of a mirror as I type this - practicing their response. Getting the no smile, smile perfect, ensuring that the inflection of every word is just right - that everything can be read into the content of the response, but in actuality - is says absolutely nothing, entirely empty - totally devoid of any and all content.

... and at the end of the "interview", back in the room, out of sight of everyone, a high 5 - and Juyondai time.

To politely underscore their message of saying nothing on the FF topic - I think that Ricoh will announce something unexpected for the 645Z - a new lens with a leaf shutter (just guessing). The emphasis will be on the Z.