Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #271
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have it on very good authority that we won't see FF at this year's Photokina. I find that a pity. I feel it's time Ricoh / Pentax shows the Canikon buyer that there is another option out there in the more professional field, without having to go to the 645D/Z.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-07-2014 at 10:55 PM.
09-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I'd just like to see a speedbooster for Pentax to get some FF like dof. I think APS-C quality is so close now that really it's just the DOF your losing.
You are not loosing DOF with APS, you are gaining. 99,99% of all images taken have some DOF. APS give you one stop faster shutterspeed at the same DOF as FF. This is a bonus. Only for the small percentage of images that have smaller DOF than APS can provide (they usually suck anyway), will thinner DOF be seen as a bonus. However, it can easily and much cheaper be achieved in Photoshop....
09-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have it on very good authority that we won't see FF at this year's Photokina. I find that a pity. I feel it's time Ricoh / Pentax shows the Canikon buyer that there is another option out there in the more professional field, without having to go to the 645D/Z.
Pentax likes to make big anouncements in the spring time. Besides the K-mount line up isn't ready for a new flagship camera. If they happen to release a 70-200 F2.8 DFA* I think that might give us a pretty good indication. I guess we will see soon.
09-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #274
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Besides the K-mount line up isn't ready for a new flagship camera. If they happen to release a 70-200 F2.8 DFA* I think that might give us a pretty good indication. I guess we will see soon.
They aren't stupid. They WON'T announce such a lens without the FF camera coming with it.

09-08-2014, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #275
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Pentax likes to make big anouncements in the spring time. Besides the K-mount line up isn't ready for a new flagship camera. If they happen to release a 70-200 F2.8 DFA* I think that might give us a pretty good indication. I guess we will see soon.
Yes, but unfortunately not my springtime!
09-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose if you want FF you hope that 645Z sales slow down.
09-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #277

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
APS give you one stop faster shutterspeed at the same DOF as FF
this is the first time i hear of this. do you have a source to back this up, or can you explain further?

09-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
this is the first time i hear of this. do you have a source to back this up, or can you explain further?
Its the flip side of FF gives you less DoF (which some call more control) . So if you like your DoF at ƒ8 on FF, you'll get the same DoF on ƒ5.6 on APS-c. It's not exact , because you have to enlarge the APS-c image twice as much to get the same size image... your circles of confusion will be twice as large meaning shallower DoF to go with the better DoF. I've never even investigated what the outcome of this exercise is. It all seems rather pointless to me... you get what you get.

Last edited by normhead; 09-08-2014 at 02:19 PM.
09-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, but unfortunately not my springtime!
I suspect that an ILC of FF may preempt a FF DSLR.

Second I suspect they would not launch a DSLR (if at all) until they have enough attendant glass, NOT relying on any "kit" lens, so they need D-FA/FA* from ~18/20mm to 300 f2.8 and longer if they want to "compete" with platforms that sporties and birders use/need.

Third, they won't launch a FF until they can meet/beat the biggies with a "blowout success" like 645z or K-3 (what it did to d7100 and 70d), so not until it's feasible to deliver 40+mp for an edge..... It is in Pentax' DNA to frame a product launch....

Hence 2-3 years out on DSLR, ILC FF in 1.5-2...

My twisted view....

---------- Post added 09-08-14 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Its the flip side of FF gives you less DoF (which some call more control) . So if you like your DoF at ƒ8 on FF, you'll get the same DoF on ƒ5.6 on APS-c. It's not exact since, because you have to enlarge the APS-c image twice as much to get the same size image... your circles of confusion will be twice as large meaning shallower DoF to go with the better DoF. I've never even investigated what the outcome of this exercise is. It all seems rather pointless to me... you get what you get.
Nicely laid out.....
09-08-2014, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #280
Banned

Let's dress up like this, pull out K1000s, rolls of TRI X, show a 35mm optical chip wafer and start the interview:

09-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #281
mee
Veteran Member

Wonder how many we'll see jump ship!

I'm interested in new lenses for my K-5 II but would like to see a K-50 replacement
09-08-2014, 05:36 PM - 2 Likes   #282
Veteran Member

Before showing Canikon buyers anything, Ricoh must show to Pentax users that they don't need to buy another system's gears to fulfill the needs of a modern photographer.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 09-08-2014 at 05:49 PM.
09-08-2014, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #283
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suppose if you want FF you hope that 645Z sales slow down.
LOL. No, I hope they sell many, many 645's! Hopefully, they'll sell so many that they'll think - heck - we can sell something with a bigger sensor.
I love this video clip.
09-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #284
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL. No, I hope they sell many, many 645's! Hopefully, they'll sell so many that they'll think - heck - we can sell something with a bigger sensor.
The question seems to be whether Ricoh are production constrained and 645Z production bumped FF plans out until next spring because they don't even have the facilities to assemble FF cameras available. Extending the story, FF lens engineering was supposedly bumped out to redo all these new 645 lenses we're seeing. Etc., etc. Orders in hand trump Unicorns every day.

Maybe that's ALL a bunch of hooey but a few members have said that directly.
09-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #285
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well it's much better to be production constrained, then to have warehouses full of depreciating inventory that is not selling so quickly....